Confirmed with Link: Sens re-sign Prince

Sens92

Jan 21, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I like Prince, but don't think he'll ever be a 60+ guy. I see a ~40 point guy that is scrappy. A Clarke MaCarthur lite.

Yeah, the way the NHL is trending where we get a lot more scoring by committee I think that's a fair assessment. 40 points is realistic but the optimist in me also sees his potential to be a 50-60 pts player consistently with the NHL's increasing focus on speed.

Last edited:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I think he has a good chance to make Ottawa's team.

I'd have him over greening,Neil,Smith at this point.

The problem is that Greening and Neil aren't even on the roster right now and Smith is our only left handed C.

My guess is that Prince and Puempel will battle for the 4rth/3rd line LW and maybe both of them make the team if Lazar is sent down to start the season in Bingo. Robinson also deserves a shot.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Yeah, the way the NHL is trending where we get a lot more scoring by committee I think that's a fair assessment. 40 points is realistic but the optimist in me also sees his potential to be a consistent 50-60 pts player consistently with the NHL's increasing focus on speed.

Guess it depends on where he is played and who his line mates are. Give him a good centre , not named Smith, and he could get to the 40 points fairly nicely and move on from there. He's a goal scorer first, but he gets his assist as well. Wants to puck for the shot every time. A little like Hoffman in that regard I'd think.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The problem is that Greening and Neil aren't even on the roster right now and Smith is our only left handed C.

My guess is that Prince and Puempel will battle for the 4rth/3rd line LW and maybe both of them make the team if Lazar is sent down to start the season in Bingo. Robinson also deserves a shot.

Greening and Neil have one-way NHL contracts, so they are on the roster. I would prefer than to be traded or retire but that likely will not happen. The maximum number of roster players is 23, so spots are limited.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Greening and Neil have one-way NHL contracts, so they are on the roster. I would prefer than to be traded or retire but that likely will not happen. The maximum number of roster players is 23, so spots are limited.

They are on the roster, what I meant is that they are not in the lineup. Sorry it wasn't clear enough. Both these guys are not playing on the team, atleast not regularly so even if you take Prince ahead of these guys, he still probably isn't on the lineup. Greening wasn't on the roster last season though, since he was waived and sent to Bingo.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I'm waiting for his sister to tweet something to confirm this.

I lol'ed.

Prince looked great in his short time up here. If he committed himself this off season, I think he will crack the roster.

prince%20.jpg

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I like it ,if he proves himself to be a nhler we resign him .If not we just let him go :nod:

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I think he has a good chance to make Ottawa's team.

I'd have him over greening,Neil,Smith at this point.

You can always count on one of these comments. Neil is extra fwd Smith plays in the middle. So you rather have Price in the press box over Neil or playing center over smith ?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
which of these two gifs should be my "Turret gif" for Shane Prince in GDTs whenever, assuming he makes the big team, he scores this season:

Prince_homer_4-30-13.gif

or

Prince_homer_slomo_4-30-13.gif

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Nice, linear offensive development...

2009-10 Ottawa 67's OHL 26 7 6 13
2010-11 Ottawa 67's OHL 59 25 63 88
2011-12 Ottawa 67's OHL 57 43 47 90
2012-13 Binghamton Senators AHL 65 18 17 35
2013-14 Binghamton Senators AHL 69 21 27 48
2014-15 Binghamton Senators AHL 72 28 37 65

2015-16 Ottawa Senators NHL 82 16 28 42
2016-17 Ottawa Senators NHL 82 24 36 60

;)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Exactly Jackie ... and Neil has always been in the lineup unless he has been injured as he was last yr so I'm not sure what people mean when they say he is not in the lineup, he will be or should be instead of Chiasson. At least until they move Neil at the trade deadline.

They are on the roster, what I meant is that they are not in the lineup. Sorry it wasn't clear enough. Both these guys are not playing on the team, atleast not regularly so even if you take Prince ahead of these guys, he still probably isn't on the lineup. Greening wasn't on the roster last season though, since he was waived and sent to Bingo.
Neil has been in the lineup unless he is injured as he was last yr & he may not have been 100% healthy when he came back during the playoffs. We'll see this yr if he is a healthy scratch or not, my guess is this team will need his toughness in the lineup.

IMO the only new player who has a shot at making the Sens out of training camp is Chris Wideman. Both Puempel & Prince are waiver exempt so they can be sent to Bingo without going through waivers. Wideman on the other hand is not waiver exempt & could be taken off waivers, most likely by TM, so it's reasonable to assume that he could stay in Ottawa & they carry 8 defencemen again this yr. Wideman also has a few things going for him, he is a right shot which they need, he is a PMD which they need & he is a point producer which they also need.

While every team is sending players down to the AHL during the end of training camp & Wideman has a high salary to play in Bingo this yr, the familiarity with TM & the possibility of him taking Wideman off waivers is probably the one thing that keeps him in Ottawa. I guess there is always the possibility of some back room deal where TM does his uncle a solid & let's Wideman pass this one time.

http://senshot.com/2015/07/15/shane-prince-agrees-to-one-year-deal-does-he-make-ottawa-out-of-camp/

I still think that Puempel & potentially Robinson are ahead of Prince because those are the two I hear more about potentially making the team but we'll see this yr when they start calling up players. I don't think Greening will get waived at least not at the beginning of the season but maybe later on closer to Christmas.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

Greening is a non Factor. He'll be sent to Binghamton if others out play him which is highly likely. He will probably be outplayed by 4-5 AHL forwards in camp. He's already list his spot in this roster, and there's still a chance he'll be bought out if Murray isn't able to deal him.

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010
No, they don't. Prince would be a top 5 prospect in most teams prospect pools

I don't think he's even a Top 5 in the Sens prospect pool, but if you are correct, it doesn't change the fact that every team has a guy like him in their pool. That would mean he is a Top 150 prospect...

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I don't think he's even a Top 5 in the Sens prospect pool, but if you are correct, it doesn't change the fact that every team has a guy like him in their pool. That would mean he is a Top 150 prospect...

http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay.php?type=top_scorers&subType=0&season_id=48&league_id=4&division_id=-1&confId=0

6th in AHL (second best league in the world) scoring last year in his 21-22 year old season.

Youngest player in the top 10 scorers. Good 2-way game. Heralded by Luke Richardson for his strength. Has speed that few players do.

Nooo... not every team has a Shane Prince.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay.php?type=top_scorers&subType=0&season_id=48&league_id=4&division_id=-1&confId=0

6th in AHL (second best league in the world) scoring last year in his 21-22 year old season.

Youngest player in the top 10 scorers. Good 2-way game. Heralded by Luke Richardson for his strength. Has speed that few players do.

Nooo... not every team has a Shane Prince.

It's surprising that this even needs to be said. It's pretty common knowledge at this point how well Prince has performed in Binghamton, is it not? He was one of the best players in the league last year and played well in Ottawa when he was called up. There's a reason people are penciling him into the opening night line up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad