Proposal: Sens-Rangers

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Not saying I do it, but I wanted to add to the discussion.

Current Sens protect (from LV):
Stone, Ryan, Turris, Zibanejad, Hoffman, Pageau, Lazar?, Ceci, Karlsson, Pahenuf

Vegas takes:
Methot

After this trade:
Stone, Ryan, Turris, Zibanejad, Hoffman, Pageau, Zuccarello, Methot, Karlsson, Pahenuf

Vegas takes:
Klein

So when the dust settles (after Vegas), the Sens are essentially left with:
Zuccarello and Methot
instead of
Ceci

This makes it more interesting because Ottawa doesn't have a 7th forward worth protecting all that much. Smith is a UFA BTW.

PS: I know I didn't include the picks... I was just showing it in terms of players, not picks.

Childish Gamsteeno

Jun 24, 2015
Canada
Goodness you guys are overvaluing a 20 year old's QMJHL season on the league's best team.. Don't get me wrong, Perron is good but please don't act like he is the one to make or break this trade (no, he is not better than White)

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
From an Ottawa perspective:

It puts Ryan on the 3rd line. Not the place for your most expensive forward. As well it puts 3 2003 draft year defenseman in your top 4. While fine for a year or 2, who replaces them in year 3?

It jumps starts The rangers rebuild quite nicely with a young NHL defenseman, 2 decent picks and a prospect that is very likely on the road to the NHL.

If I was a NYR fan looking for a rebuild I would say yes.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Ottawa scores enough now that we really don't need any forward help. This trade would do nothing to help Ottawa. Zuccarello is a great lil player and fun to watch, but we don't need him. RW is arguably our deepest position.

Great lil fun to watch player not only fills up the net but would become the heart and soul of your team...

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Not saying I do it, but I wanted to add to the discussion.

Current Sens protect (from LV):
Stone, Ryan, Turris, Zibanejad, Hoffman, Pageau, Lazar?, Ceci, Karlsson, Pahenuf

Vegas takes:
Methot

After this trade:
Stone, Ryan, Turris, Zibanejad, Hoffman, Pageau, Zuccarello, Methot, Karlsson, Pahenuf

Vegas takes:
Klein

So when the dust settles (after Vegas), the Sens are essentially left with:
Zuccarello and Methot
instead of
Ceci

This makes it more interesting because Ottawa doesn't have a 7th forward worth protecting all that much. Smith is a UFA BTW.

PS: I know I didn't include the picks... I was just showing it in terms of players, not picks.

Good analysis

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
No chance I move Ceci in this type of deal. I don't think it's particularly bad value-wise, but Zuc doesn't fill enough of a need to give up on a young 2nd pairing puck-movin RHD. Honestly if the Hall/Larsson trade taught us anything it's that those pieces are valued incredibly high.

If the Rangers want to work out a futures based deal for Zuc I'm all ears. But I'm not overly interested in having Ceci/Klein involved in the deal. Really not realistic from a Senators perspective either as managament absolutely adores this kid (Ceci).

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Not a sens fan but was wondering hows the value on this, got parts of this idea from the zuccarello thread. This trade occurs only if the sens owner is willing to break his internal budget and spend money to go out and win. As well as, the rags realizing that it's time to rebuild and start off by selling there most attractive forward piece.

To the sens: Mats Zuccarello, and kelvin klein

He is a signed for 3 more years at 4.5 mill. Just had 61 pts and had 50 and 60 pt years two prior seasons. He's fast, got great vision and was surprised to see that he potted 26 goals this season. He would compliment the sens forward core, and is still only 28 years old. Also trade for klein who while not as good or young as ceci, is still a strong dmen who has the ability to play top 4 minutes with ease.

To rags: Cody Ceci, 2017 1st round pick(top 10 protected, becomes a 2018 unprotected pick sens finish in the top 10), 2018 2nd and Francis perron

The rags give up there best and most consistent player over past 3 years but get great value. Ceci is a top 4 dmen currently, and they get a 2017 1st as long as its not top 10. The second and perron are for klein. Perron is a intriguing prospect who just had a 100+ pt year in the Q, he is 20 and will be most likely a couple of years away, the second helps the rags stockpile picks as they have traded plenty away in the past.

Sens 2016/2017

hoffman-zibb-zucc
macarthur-turris-stone
smith/white-pageau-ryan
white/smith-kelly-lazar

methot-karlsson
phaneuf-klein
chabot-wideman

anderson

What do you guys think?

what is the competitive market for these guys?
Zuc, the floor is open...
KK, I think the one who pays most is EDM.
I can see EDM 2017 1st Yakimov (def. beast but extremely raw) + Yakupov [they were asking a 3rd, and didn't get it!]
for Klein with his sweet deal, + Lindberg + Fast

If ya can top that, please do
also, we might be able to agree on Zuc, with other currency.

There is strong demand for Brassard; how high will you go?
Sens 2017 and 2018 1sts for a guy you are getting upfront who is great value at 5, but the actual payout is less.

But understand, we can't just give this guy away....

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
No from me. Not really interested in dealing Ceci unless there's a really enticing deal on the table.

This isn't it.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
It's R-A-N-G-E-R-S. Who are the rags?

Pretty funny you brought this up.

It annoys me to no end when people use rags.

It is offensive.

It is a women's sanitary napkin....local rival fans know it and love to use it.

I complain every once in a while and it falls on deaf ears.

People are cattle.

Too weary to fight about it anymore...

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
I love Zucc – super underrated player – but the Sens can't (continue to) make package trades with key pieces for established players. They're still at a point where, 2-3 years from now, they'll be looking at Ceci (Or, Silfverberg) and wonder what could have been. Stay the course, stay the course.

xking23

Petersson
Jun 22, 2009
Peterborough
So we are trading a 22 year old top 4 d-man, a first round pick (that you guys want unprotected), a 2nd round pick, and one of our better prospects coming off of a QMJHL MVP season.

For a 28 year old 60 point player (good, but will be on his downswing) and a 30 year old defensive defenseman who is going to be slowing down.

Ottawa isn't in a win now mode. We don't need to trade a lot of future for two players that are at their peaks. Easy pass from Ottawa perspective.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Ranger fans should ignore all posts with the word Rags, other than to complain to a moderator.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Why would you try to engage a team's fans by insulting the team? Do you pick up a girl by calling her ugly? Make friends by calling them stupid?

Not a sens fan but was wondering hows the value on this, got parts of this idea from the zuccarello thread. This trade occurs only if the sens owner is willing to break his internal budget and spend money to go out and win. As well as, the rags realizing that it's time to rebuild and start off by selling there most attractive forward piece.

To the sens: Mats Zuccarello, and kelvin klein

He is a signed for 3 more years at 4.5 mill. Just had 61 pts and had 50 and 60 pt years two prior seasons. He's fast, got great vision and was surprised to see that he potted 26 goals this season. He would compliment the sens forward core, and is still only 28 years old. Also trade for klein who while not as good or young as ceci, is still a strong dmen who has the ability to play top 4 minutes with ease.

To rags: Cody Ceci, 2017 1st round pick(top 10 protected, becomes a 2018 unprotected pick sens finish in the top 10), 2018 2nd and Francis perron

The rags give up there best and most consistent player over past 3 years but get great value. Ceci is a top 4 dmen currently, and they get a 2017 1st as long as its not top 10. The second and perron are for klein. Perron is a intriguing prospect who just had a 100+ pt year in the Q, he is 20 and will be most likely a couple of years away, the second helps the rags stockpile picks as they have traded plenty away in the past.

Sens 2016/2017

hoffman-zibb-zucc
macarthur-turris-stone
smith/white-pageau-ryan
white/smith-kelly-lazar

methot-karlsson
phaneuf-klein
chabot-wideman

anderson

What do you guys think?

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Yeah, I thought using the term rags wasn't allowed.

Anyway, another case of HF posters not wanting to give up anything for good assets.

What else is new.

xking23

Petersson
Jun 22, 2009
Peterborough

Anyway, another case of HF posters not wanting to give up anything for good assets.

What else is new.

Ceci vs Klein is a Future vs Now debate, where in Ottawa, Future wins it out as Ottawa isn't competing for the cup until Ceci will be closer to 25-26. Lets say the second is what it takes to even off the ability now (I think 1 for 1 is reasonably fair but I also think others may disagree so the second is a decent safety).

Perron and a 1st (originally protected, but all Rangers fans want unprotected) for Zuccarello. Which is a decent deal value wise for both teams. Perron is looking to be a great player. But once again, Ottawa is then trading futures for now, when Ottawa isn't looking to win now. Give Perron a few year in the AHL and we may have another Hoffman on our hands.

Ottawa has very little reason to make this trade. We aren't really any better on the backend, and while in now we will have a better top 9, in 5 years or so, it won't be any better, and probably worse as Zuccarello would be 33, Klein would be 35, with Ceci at 27 and Perron at 25.

This deal doesn't seem like a good fit for either team.

Ottawa is looking at a window in the next 2-7 years for a solid push. While Rangers are looking at the next maybe 2 seasons before they will have to rebuild. Unless NYR is rebuilding now, in which case they would want to trade with a team looking to make a push that was some decent youth that isn't playing major time (maybe a team like Boston, or Florida, or a rebuilding team looking for leadership like Edmonton or Arizona).

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Yeah I agree, it's pretty annoying. And it never stop... they should just censor the word so you get **** when you type it...

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Why would you try to engage a team's fans by insulting the team? Do you pick up a girl by calling her ugly? Make friends by calling them stupid?
I apologize to you and other ranger fans. I thought you guys were called the "rags" like how the Canadiens are called habs, the capitals the caps, the leafs the buds, etc. Thought it was a short form and saw it being posted a lot so didn't realize it was demeaning. That wasn't the intent of the post. Will make sure not to use it again.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Goodness you guys are overvaluing a 20 year old's QMJHL season on the league's best team.. Don't get me wrong, Perron is good but please don't act like he is the one to make or break this trade (no, he is not better than White)

Except this was Perron's 19 year old season. He was the best player, by far, on the best team. He will be in the AHL for his 20 year old season. A 20 year old season in the CHL is your overage season.

He is still eligible for the QMJHL this year.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

What else is new.

But....we never asked for any of your assets, and don't need them. Right wing is our deepest position....why would be want Zuccarello? Why do we want and old defenseman in Klein?

All this does is screw Ottawa over in the next 2-3 years....coincidentally right when the Leafs would likely start making their run. Did I mention a Leafs fan made this thread?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad