Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Rangers 1/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Oh hey, am I wrong that AV switched Kreider and MSL so they were playing each others sides? Seemed like Kreider was over on the right wing a whole lot maybe halfway through the game. I wonder if AV was trying to get Kreider away from Karlsson and exploit the slower D like Cowen

This is interesting and quite possibly what happened either as AV directive or simply an adjustment worked out between MSL and Kreider (I don't remember seeing MSL a lot o the left side but Kreider was roaming allover). One of the thing that I REALLY liked from last night is how Kreider responded when he denied a couple of times by Karlsson (side note - what a great player). Kreider just pushed harder and he got his goal.

NYRangerFan*

Forgot Winnipeg was still in it but my point still stands. Would anybody be against packaging Hagelin or Zucc with a pick or two for a top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman who can replace Hunwick/Moore?

Ice Hockey

Jan 4, 2009
CT
how about Staal's game improving big time? He has the best damn defensive stick in hockey. I would loathe to play against him!!!!!!

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Forgot Winnipeg was still in it but my point still stands. Would anybody be against packaging Hagelin or Zucc with a pick or two for a top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman who can replace Hunwick/Moore?

Top 6 forward, yes.

Top 4 defenseman, no.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yes there's complete denying on my part because being in the best shape of your life =/= being out of shape prior.

Sorry if you think he was in shape last year [MOD] Remember it wasn't like he was recovering from an arm injury where he could still get some leg work in, he was in a position where he couldn't do anything for a prolonged period of time (early season injury too, so its not like he had gotten himself into prime playing shape before getting hurt either.) Its really, really hard to play catch up when thats the case (ask Brad Richards, who suffered from this the year before with out being hurt at all!)

Hes taken the measures to be as good as hes ever been now, but he didn't struggle to put up points in the playoffs last year because of lack of effort, he busted his ass but his legs just didn't take him where he wanted to go and he was a billion times easier to knock off the puck.

And he was unlucky as hell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I don't think "being in shape" is really the right word for it. It's pretty much impossible to play an entire NHL season and not be in fantastic shape by the end of it, especially if you get the minutes that Nash does. There's no way he was what we would consider out of shape by the time the playoffs came around. Players rarely get a day off and practice and play games so often that it'd almost take an effort to actually be out of shape by the time the playoffs come around

I do think it's fair to say that Nash gave himself a better foundation for this year with his offseason work, and that can have some carry over, but the biggest factor remains that last year Nash got a pretty bad concussion and struggled to return to normal afterwards. From his own mouth it took him the entire year to start to feel like himself again and not mentally shy away from contact areas

e: and yeah he didn't get in a full year but I still think by the time the playoffs came around it was more a mental issue than being in shape. He didn't miss that much time

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Sorry if you think he was in shape last year [MOD] Remember it wasn't like he was recovering from an arm injury where he could still get some leg work in, he was in a position where he couldn't do anything for a prolonged period of time (early season injury too, so its not like he had gotten himself into prime playing shape before getting hurt either.) Its really, really hard to play catch up when thats the case (ask Brad Richards, who suffered from this the year before with out being hurt at all!)

Hes taken the measures to be as good as hes ever been now, but he didn't struggle to put up points in the playoffs last year because of lack of effort, he busted his ass but his legs just didn't take him where he wanted to go and he was a billion times easier to knock off the puck.

And he was unlucky as hell.

I think you're thinking too concrete. It's not all or nothing.

Again being in the best shape of your life doesn't mean you were out of shape prior. As you said having a concussion is more complex and it doesn't mean as you said, he was struggling to get in position:
" he busted his ass but his legs just didn't take him where he wanted to go and he was a billion times easier to knock off the puck."
It could also mean, he was in position quite a bit and what you see as his legs not getting him there is just as much Nash not wanting to totally get in harms way.

He skated fine in the playoffs but he was too tentative in offensive situations where he had to take a hit to make a play, so many of his shots were perimeter opportunities. He didn't have the problem in the defensive zone where he was a diligent backchecker and he was arguably one of the better if not best defensive forwards on the team.
Everyone got pissed at him because that's "not what he's paid to do". Even though the effort for the most part was there.

If he was so out of shape it would have shown itself on the backcheck which is much more difficult for an out of shape dude to do. That much I do know.

This year he also has the added ability to play in traffic and get to loose pucks and places he wasn't necessarily willing to go, in addition to being in the best shape of his life.

In the playoffs he still was one of the better players on the team with all his handicaps.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I don't think "being in shape" is really the right word for it. It's pretty much impossible to play an entire NHL season and not be in fantastic shape by the end of it, especially if you get the minutes that Nash does. There's no way he was what we would consider out of shape by the time the playoffs came around. Players rarely get a day off and practice and play games so often that it'd almost take an effort to actually be out of shape by the time the playoffs come around

I do think it's fair to say that Nash gave himself a better foundation for this year with his offseason work, and that can have some carry over, but the biggest factor remains that last year Nash got a pretty bad concussion and struggled to return to normal afterwards. From his own mouth it took him the entire year to start to feel like himself again and not mentally shy away from contact areas

e: and yeah he didn't get in a full year but I still think by the time the playoffs came around it was more a mental issue than being in shape. He didn't miss that much time

Thank you, this is what I was saying.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009

Agreed, I think it was more mental than an issue with conditioning or fitness level. He said many times last year that he wasn't going to the middle of the ice enough, and earlier this season he admitted he wasn't comfortable with the physicality of the game and was being careful. The biggest difference in his game this year is that he has the willingness and confidence to make plays and drive to the net with authority, whereas last year he was too cautious and hanging out around the perimeter.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Top 6 forward, yes.
Top 4 defenseman, no.

no cap space for another top D, unless we move one

i read recent article about Nashville maybe dangling Ryan Ellis for a Forward,
i think he'd be great younger cheaper DBoyle,
if someone like Detroit, who's been looking for D, especially Righty, for a long time, would offer for Boyle a #1 or a couple #2's.
I'd offer Miller for Ellis
But i don't think AV or Slats would risk this season's PP success by moving Boyle (i would... I'd trust Ellis in the 3d more than Boyle, Hunwick or Moore))

up front, i like the chemistry and the depth,
i would not change much except maybe a faceoff center;
I think they should check out Lindberg before shedding assets

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm very happy the break is here. It's actually a lot of pressure expecting to win every night. The bigger your castle gets, the harder it crashes.

Been watching the Rangers a long time, but contending and having a legitimately very good team is new to me. Now I have this week with no games to mentally prepare for high expectations.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
no cap space for another top D, unless we move one

i read recent article about Nashville maybe dangling Ryan Ellis for a Forward,
i think he'd be great younger cheaper DBoyle,
if someone like Detroit, who's been looking for D, especially Righty, for a long time, would offer for Boyle a #1 or a couple #2's.
I'd offer Miller for Ellis
But i don't think AV or Slats would risk this season's PP success by moving Boyle (i would... I'd trust Ellis in the 3d more than Boyle, Hunwick or Moore))

up front, i like the chemistry and the depth,
i would not change much except maybe a faceoff center;
I think they should check out Lindberg before shedding assets

Ryan Ellis had been playing great this year until he got hurt recently. He's scoring at a decent clip and his possession stats have been very good. Idk if we'd be able to fleece Nashville again for a RD on a great contract though :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad