Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Rangers 1/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
And there it is, the crux of all advanced stats discussions. On the other side of the Zipays is advanced stats people that want to come off as sophisticated for seeing the game differently. As I said there's a middle ground. You tote decently well, but you have your head in the clouds if you think that there are no advanced stats activists that judge the entire game by numbers.

Okay, I"m sure there are people that blindly subscribe to possession metrics and nothing else to make hockey judgements. But I feel like those people are A LOT less common than the reverse pundits think they are.

Like implying we will have a Leafs-esque collapse is ridiculous. Saying we're mediocre isn't totally ridiculous, as there are a few stats that would support that notion, but if you pay attention for the most part, you'll feel differently. The problem here is dismissing people that use these stats like they have nothing of value to say, which happens wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too often..

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The biggest problem with advanced stats are the people who use them. I'm not bagging on everyone who uses them, but a lot of the main board clowns who cite these numbers haven't the slightest clue about what goes on at ice level (especially when their teams have more glaring flaws that they some how fail to acknowledge.)

It is really easy to point to a spread sheet and say that so and so is performing or what not but with out actually watching the games, the stats them selves are not enough. For instance, how many times has this team been out corsi'd (Corsi is a crap stat anyway) in games they they've won comfortably?

All I know is that the team's fenwick close (the one stat that should really be given any credence) been pretty damn good since getting healthy (the record reflects that) and they've topped some pretty damn good teams (some in convincing fashion) in a really tough cluster of games recently.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
As a recent convert to advanced stats, i'm just mindblown by Stepan's ****** corsi. The dude is playing some of the best hockey of his career, IMO, but the stats that have shown how underrated he has been across the league in the past disagree with that this year.

IDK. Either way, love Steps.

Kreider has been monstrous the last 2 games, too.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
As a recent convert to advanced stats, i'm just mindblown by Stepan's ****** corsi. The dude is playing some of the best hockey of his career, IMO, but the stats that have shown how underrated he has been across the league in the past disagree with that this year.

IDK. Either way, love Steps.

Kreider has been monstrous the last 2 games, too.

He's good at suppressing shots but he's very meh at generating them. Kreider and Nash generate a **** ton of shots, so he goes great with them. Nash generates a lot, but a lot of shots happen against when he's on the ice too. They're literally all compliments of each other, and I hope we see them together again sooner rather than later.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
He's good at suppressing shots but he's very meh at generating them. Kreider and Nash generate a **** ton of shots, so he goes great with them. Nash generates a lot, but a lot of shots happen against when he's on the ice too. They're literally all compliments of each other, and I hope we see them together again sooner rather than later.

I've wanted Kreider-Stepan-Nash back together for a couple weeks now. Tough to change things up when it's working, but I think that, ideally, that's our first line.

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Miller-Brassard-Zuccarello
Hayes-Trade (IMO will happen)-St. Louis
Hagelin-Moore-Fast

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I've wanted Kreider-Stepan-Nash back together for a couple weeks now. Tough to change things up when it's working, but I think that, ideally, that's our first line.

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Miller-Brassard-Zuccarello
Hayes-Trade (IMO will happen)-St. Louis
Hagelin-Moore-Fast

Those lines look pretty awesome. (Depending upon who the the 3rd line center turns out to be.)

BlueShirtGal

It's Hurricane season!
May 19, 2014
Federal Way, WA
I didn't get to see the game. Nevertheless, nice win! Sneaking up on the Pens for 2nd place in the division. Let's hope they stay hot after the All Star break!

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
usa-today-8339511.0.jpg

Excellent...

Thanks!

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
Add Vermette.

Slide Hayes to 1 LW.

Slide Zucc to 3 RW.

Exploit advantages. Hayes will continue producing at the same rate. Zucc's production increases on the lower line.

See the highlights from the pens game. Zuc is an important part of Nash line, despite point production. See how he makes room for his line mates by taking out a defending player on two of the goals. I was gently suprised. Little things like that is important

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
This. I take Nash off and replace him with Miller. They need a forechecking presence. If they can't globe trot the opposition, they don't sustain any pressure in the offensive zone.

fully agree:

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Miller-Brass-Zucc/MSL
Hagelin-Hayes-MSL/Zucc
Fast/Hagelin-Moore-Stempniak

I also wouldn't be opposed to a bit of shuffling:

I'd like to see one of these line combos for one game:
Zucc-Brass-Stempniak
Miller-Brass-Zucc

I'd also like MSL on the 3rd line... Stepan and him don't have that click anymore, and that scoring chance he passed up in the first where he had a clear shot to the top corner glove side and he ****ing deferred to his left to Stepan who was on his off wing

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I wouldn't change a got dam thing.

There are going to be nights where the Nash-Brass-Zuccs line will look pedestrian. In fact there could be 2-3 games where they look pedestrian. It's THOSE nights where Kreider-Stepan-MSL line needs to play to their capabilities.

We are 16-3 in the 19 games with the majority of them being played with the above 6 as our top two lines.

That not coincidence.

Get a little more offensive consistency from the 3rd line and we are GOLDEN.

Leave them alone and let them play

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I honestly though Staal, Boyle, and Hunwick were our only good d-men.

Klein, Girardi, and McDonagh were all terrible.

what was with that switch of pairings to Boyle-Hunwick at some points? Who was being benched? It most certainly was not Klein

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Holy ****. I just realized Bobby Ryan played tonight. I was at the game so idk if I just missed him, but damn he seemed invisible.

Ryan almost scored twice by dangling McDonagh and Girardi... Definitely wasn't invisible. he is responsible for the NYR winning goal though

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Ryan almost scored twice by dangling McDonagh and Girardi... Definitely wasn't invisible. he is responsible for the NYR winning goal though

I think Ottawa's D was horrendous last night.

Hayes un checked behind the D scores a goal.

Kreider gets the jump on Ottawa D, scores a goal.

Hagelin gets behind the D un checked, scores a goal.

Granted, Ryan is not the most defensively responsible player, but I would look at the defenceman in that spot there. Hags was all alone in front of Anderson. Defender needs to be with him there and they were both high slot.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I wouldn't change a got dam thing.

There are going to be nights where the Nash-Brass-Zuccs line will look pedestrian. In fact there could be 2-3 games where they look pedestrian. It's THOSE nights where Kreider-Stepan-MSL line needs to play to their capabilities.

We are 16-3 in the 19 games with the majority of them being played with the above 6 as our top two lines.

That not coincidence.

Get a little more offensive consistency from the 3rd line and we are GOLDEN.

Leave them alone and let them play

Agreed, and you also risk Nash's production playing him with Kreider ...

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Do we think Fast might see the bench for a game or two because of his mistake that led to the first Ottawa goal and the subsequent loss of momentum? I hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Agreed, and you also risk Nash's production playing him with Kreider ...

But he'd be playing with Stepan, who last time I checked is a pretty good playmaker IMO. Fun question: who are the only two under-25 forwards since 2007-8 that have a higher assists/60 minutes than Stepan?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
As for the advanced stats argument that was going on before, couldn't the mediocre possession statistics be weighed down by the fact Stepan, Boyle, and McDonagh missed significant time, while Glass was also in the lineup for the entirity of their absence?

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Do we think Fast might see the bench for a game or two because of his mistake that led to the first Ottawa goal and the subsequent loss of momentum? I hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised.

It's part of the learning process. He doesn't need to be punished for it by sitting. He's played well lately, so they will review it in a video session, and move forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad