Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Rangers 1/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Do we think Fast might see the bench for a game or two because of his mistake that led to the first Ottawa goal and the subsequent loss of momentum? I hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised.

No, especially with the break coming up. I am sure he is going to be in summer school though.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
It's part of the learning process. He doesn't need to be punished for it by sitting. He's played well lately, so they will review it in a video session, and move forward.

AV is like opposite-Torts, he's much more likely to give him more ice time to try to boost his confidence and work at fixing his mistakes

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
Do we think Fast might see the bench for a game or two because of his mistake that led to the first Ottawa goal and the subsequent loss of momentum? I hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised.

If we were playing again tonight or tomorrow and Glass was healthy, then yeah I think we might see that. But with the break, I imagine AV goes back to what was working when it's time to come back.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
AV is like opposite-Torts, he's much more likely to give him more ice time to try to boost his confidence and work at fixing his mistakes

We're so very fortunate to have a coach like AV. He is GREAT. Sometimes not all decisions are his own (i.e.: Glass) those things can come from the brass, but can't ever say that publicly.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Agreed, and you also risk Nash's production playing him with Kreider ...

if you want to leave that line alone, you have to try Miller or Stempniak on the Stepan line

Zucc-Brass-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-MSL/Miller/Stempniak
Hagelin-Hayes-MSL/Miller/Stempniak
Fast-Moore-MSL/Miller/Stempniak

I'd personally prefer:

Zucc-Brass-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Miller
Hagelin-Hayes-MSL
Fast-Moore-Stempniak

However for one game, I'd like to see Kreider-Stepan-Stempniak together.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
B74zAU9IYAAEky2.png

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
yeah not sure why he has it in with Miller, it's weird

I think/hope that he thinks Miller's personality is the type that responds to that sort of thing. Some people, you give coherent criticism and they fold like a card table, some take it in, digest it, and come out like a lunatic to prove that they get it. I think Miller is the second type, though I admittedly know very, very little about him as a person.

AV seems a little too wise to just arbitrarily choose this guy to be treated differently.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
What happen to Hayes in the third period? What did he do wrong to get benched?

That line had a real ugly shift on one of the goals, and AV knew that everyone would get to rest a ton given the break, so he went with the 9 guys who were playing best in order to go into the break feeling good I think.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Oh hey, am I wrong that AV switched Kreider and MSL so they were playing each others sides? Seemed like Kreider was over on the right wing a whole lot maybe halfway through the game. I wonder if AV was trying to get Kreider away from Karlsson and exploit the slower D like Cowen

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
yeah not sure why he has it in with Miller, it's weird

I never understood the glass over Miller stuff from earlier in the year, however to be fair Miller does continue to be mistake prone defensively. That TO against the Islanders was jaw dropping. So it's not like AV doesn't have cause to think twice about trusting Miller.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Put me on board with putting Miller with Brass and Zucc, moving Nash to the Stepan line and MSL down to the Hayes line. For all the talk about Kreider effecting Nash's production, they played on opposite wings to start the year and Nash killed it, not to mention that the trio of Kreider, Stepan and Nash was played together in the regular season last year and was Rangers' best lines in the playoffs (even with an out of shape Nash with poor shooting luck.)

That line had a real ugly shift on one of the goals, and AV knew that everyone would get to rest a ton given the break, so he went with the 9 guys who were playing best in order to go into the break feeling good I think.

It was a risky move by AV. I get the logic behind shortening the bench and emptying the tank, but you're walking on thin ice when they were already short on fuel to start the game.

Hey it worked, but theres a reason why the Rangers played much better in the first half of the third than the second.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I think using the lineup:

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Zucc-Brass-Miller (flip the wings if necessary)
Hags-Hayes-MSL
Fast-Moore-Stemp

Would help balance out the lines a bit. I really liked how Hags and Marty looked together last season, and I think Hayes provides them a solid playmaker who can keep up with their pace.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Nash has 28 goals from the LW position, something he has played primarily this season.

Lets not **** that up just to see him back on the RW.

He's clearly more effective as a LW'er than RW'er

Change for the sake of change is dangerously bad.

The only thing that needs to be done (and even THAT"S a stretch) is upgrading the 3rd line center position.

Here's what I would love to see.

Nash - Brassard - Zuccs
Kreider - Stepan - MSL
Miller - Vermette - Hayes
Hagelin - Moore - Fast

xtra forward Stempniak

Locker room gopher Glass.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Some cool stuff from the game notes:

The Rangers have also earned at least one point in 30 of their last 40 contests (26-10-4), including 23 of their last 30 games (21-7-2).

New York has given up two team goals or fewer in 23 of 44 games this season, and has posted a 22-0-1 record in those contests. As of the conclusion of tonight’s game, the Rangers rank third in the NHL – and first in the Eastern Conference – in goals against per game (2.32) this season. (Only Chicago and Nashville rank higher)

New York has registered at least three goals in nine of its last 13 games and in 29 of 44 games this season.

As of the conclusion of tonight’s contest, the Rangers are tied for fourth in the NHL in wins and rank fifth in the NHL in winning percentage (.357; 5-9-0) when trailing after two periods in 2014-15.

– Derek Stepan recorded an assist on the game-winning goal in overtime and posted a plus-two rating in 19:10 of ice time. The Rangers’ alternate captain has registered a point in 21 of 31 games this season, and he has tallied 54 points (15 goals, 39 assists) in 54 regular season games following last season’s Olympic break.

Had no idea we were one of the best teams in the NHL when trailing into the third.

NYRangerFan*

I think using the lineup:

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Zucc-Brass-Miller (flip the wings if necessary)
Hags-Hayes-MSL
Fast-Moore-Stemp

Would help balance out the lines a bit. I really liked how Hags and Marty looked together last season, and I think Hayes provides them a solid playmaker who can keep up with their pace.

I agree. I think MSL would do well with Hayes and Hagelin, and he will get good matchups too.

NYRangerFan*

Nash has 28 goals from the LW position, something he has played primarily this season.

Lets not **** that up just to see him back on the RW.

He's clearly more effective as a LW'er than RW'er

Change for the sake of change is dangerously bad.

The only thing that needs to be done (and even THAT"S a stretch) is upgrading the 3rd line center position.

Here's what I would love to see.

Nash - Brassard - Zuccs
Kreider - Stepan - MSL
Miller - Vermette - Hayes
Hagelin - Moore - Fast

xtra forward Stempniak

Locker room gopher Glass.

I would love to add Ladd to that lineup. Lets say we trade Hagelin and a few picks for Ladd, similar to what we did with Callahan and St Louis. Also, grab a guy like Winnik somehow. All fantasy of course

Kreider-Stepan-MSL
Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello
Ladd-Hayes-Miller
Winnik-Moore-Fast/Stempniak

We upgrade our secondary scoring and LW depth while we add some size, skill and physical play to our bottom 6. I'm fine with our centers as long as our wings are consistent enough

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
If we could get miller top 9 minutes while also keeping Kreider / Hagelin / Miller on different lines, that could be ideal. Rather than bunch the speed up, I think they need to continue to spread it out. One of those guys will end up on the ice against a d-man who isn't fast enough to contain them.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I would love to add Ladd to that lineup. Lets say we trade Hagelin and a few picks for Ladd, similar to what we did with Callahan and St Louis. Also, grab a guy like Winnik somehow. All fantasy of course

Kreider-Stepan-MSL
Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello
Ladd-Hayes-Miller
Winnik-Moore-Fast/Stempniak

We upgrade our secondary scoring and LW depth while we add some size, skill and physical play to our bottom 6. I'm fine with our centers as long as our wings are consistent enough

No chance Winnipeg trades Ladd while they're in the playoff hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad