Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Pens

WhiteLight*

Gryba is turning into a monster, bro. The guy was phenomenal tonight and was against Toronto as well except that one mistake.

And his mistake tonight

imo
He's limited offensively and in his puck moving skills. Don't care if he does play decently in a shutdown down role, I think he should play 20 min TOPS. He doesn't have the all around skills to play more than that. Guys who play a lot of minutes shouldn't one dimensional

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
And his mistake tonight

imo
He's limited offensively and in his puck moving skills. Don't care if he does play decently in a shutdown down role, I think he should play 20 min TOPS. He doesn't have the all around skills to play more than that. Guys who play a lot of minutes shouldn't one dimensional

So Brooks Orpik should play 12 mins/game. You may have to change your initial to MAK-FA.

WhiteLight*

So Brooks Orpik should play 12 mins/game. You may have to change your initial to MAK-FA.

You think Brooksy is comparable to Gryba? :help:

Orpik can actually skate and move the puck. A better Methot.

Wehre did you come up with 12? Lol you'Re funny

JustinYS

Oct 21, 2010
I think Gryba has certainly been better of late than early in the season. That being said, I'd keep him as a 5-6th D. No more, no less. However, due to circumstances where our D is pretty young and Phillips is injured, it pushes him up a spot.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
I can't get over Greening's line change. He should sit a game for that. It doesn't matter if they were calling him off or not.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Anyone else notice how much Crosby and Malkin were cheating over their own blueline? Anyone notice how their team was actually capable of getting the puck up and to them consistently?

Top offensive players tend to play that way. Crosby and Malkin are both better than Spezza, but Malkin especially plays a similar game. They are, of course, on vastly different teams.

Also I hope Da Costa is here to stay. So good. Too bad he can't buy icetime.

Malkin has 100x the compete level of Spezza.

Malkin is also 2x the player that Spezza is, Malkin is a winner, a gamer. Malkin is fast and throws some hits, disturbs sometimes, Spezza just floats. So I don't think they play a similar game.

But I agree with the SDC part.

Last edited:

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
Anyone else notice how much Crosby and Malkin were cheating over their own blueline? Anyone notice how their team was actually capable of getting the puck up and to them consistently?

Top offensive players tend to play that way. Crosby and Malkin are both better than Spezza, but Malkin especially plays a similar game. They are, of course, on vastly different teams.

The only "similar" thing about their game is that they both try to score goals.

Spezza is nowhere near Malkin's level in terms of compete, physicality, defense, etc.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I thought Gryba played very well.

Since Ceci was brought up, I think him and Gryba has been great.

Ceci has slowed down though. Guess the enthusiasm of being called up, gave him the extra edge the first few games.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Mac - Turris - Ryan
Conacher - Ziba - Michalek
Hoffman - Da Costa - Stone
Greening - Smith - Condra
Neil

Methot - Karlsson
? - Ceci
Cowen - Gryba
Boro

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I certainly agree he's not playing well. He's like a poor man's Dany Heatley (Sens era), and that's a very flawed player. My issue with it is they're playing guys who aren't playing significantly better but who have far less upside instead (eg. Colin Greening). In overtime, how can they put out Colin "5 goals" Greening TWICE in less than two minutes, and not have Bobby "20 goals" Ryan out at all? Why do we even show up to watch if the coaching staff isn't going to attempt to win the game?

You're absolutely right, its like PM doesn't want the extras point. I'm still scratching my head over his choice of player in OT.

Turris, Ryan, Zibby, Spezza, Karlsson, Methot and Mac are the players you need in OT to gave your self a chance to win.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
So watched the highlights and it would seem that Fleury and Anderson were the stars tonight. At least the Sens got a point. Sucks that the East has decided to start winning and the west has decided to suck.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
And his mistake tonight

imo

Gryba was matched up against the Malkin line, Ceci was matched up against Suter and Kobasew line. Do you think maybe there was a difference in QOC? or do you just look at everything in a vacuum? Ceci isn't ready to be facing the likes of Malkin or Crosby. Gryba isn't perfect (far from it) but you play the cards you have.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010

Top offensive players adapt their game to what works, and not try the same failing strategy for 70% of the season. Spezza is more inflexible than MacLean.

Last edited:

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
Speaking of playing cards, gryba needs to be discarded

I would have agreed with you a month ago, but at least Gryba hits and does his job defensively. He's never going to wow you with his puck handling, but still looks better than Cowen (somebody get this guy a new stick or something, perhaps practice stick handling? Hard to watch him not make the play quick enough)

Gryba has also looked much stronger than Weircioch, and faster? I never thought I'd say that, but PW looks like he's skating with weights around his ankles... At least put up some points if you can't play d Patty.

Ottawa has too many young dman making mistakes... But I've been more impressed with Gryba, oh and that Karlsson kid is pretty good too

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I hope MacLean bagskates the hell out of the guys. The effort level was horrid. Completely, totally, absolutely abysmal.

Oh, and if Malkin and Spezza play a similar game, then I play a "similar game" to Karlsson. I know some people are trying hard to defend their guy, but putting Spez anywhere near Crosby and Malkin...that's one hell of a reach. :laugh:

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
The Penguins have only given up a point at home 7 times this season (27 games). Take it and run. Anderson was great.

If Spezza can't make that play with his body, he shouldn't be playing. If he can, but chose not to, he needs to start now.

It's a bad time for all of our top offensive players to be slumping. :(

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Where did anyone say Spezza was as good as Crosby or Malkin? One hell of a reach is making things up to try and push a point (which you do fairly consistently).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad