Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Oilers Nov. 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Dacosta doing well in a league that is arguably not even as strong as the AHL doesn't prove much.

Meh, people are putting more stock in his progression over past year than just his isolated KHL stats.

He looked very good up here in the short stint, was sent down, one of best players in AHL all year, dominated the WC for France and now is tearing up KHL. Not hard to think he was just naturally progressing rather than he's just finding his game only in KHL.

Although I must say his game is much better in bigger ice so his strong success and upward trend could be a little deceiving but we'll never fully know with DaCosta. I hope he comes back to camp next year just so we can be sure.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I am the resident filatov believer. As well as lee and gilroy. It's in my nature to root for the underdogs.

So then you pretty much are stating you have bizzaro-hockeysmarts?

Makes a lot of sense considering most of your opinions.

You realize you just went triple dog down on 3 of the most useless players in Sens history right?

Underdog = Pageau.
Soft and weak with limited intensity and questionable hockey sense doesn't equal underdog... It equals playing in Europe not the NHL.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
If Hoffman had said no to a 2-way and signed in the KHL instead, then dominated that league, we'd all be saying the same thing about him. Just the KHL, wouldn't be a good NHLer, etc.

Shoulda payed Da Costa and let Michalek go. Way less risky and way more reward.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If Hoffman had said no to a 2-way and signed in the KHL instead, then dominated that league, we'd all be saying the same thing about him. Just the KHL, wouldn't be a good NHLer, etc.

If Da Costa was a winger, maybe he'd still be here, but he was behind Turris, Zibanejad, Smith, Pageau, and Lazar (longterm). He didn't see an opportunity in the top 6, so he went were he could get a real chance.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
I can't believe people are ragging on Da Costa so hard. He actually played great for us and he was only sent down because of the olympic break. I still believe we would have made the play-offs if he had stayed here last season.

He single handedly won 3 games for us before the olympic break, before being relegated to the AHL. Not sure what else he could have done to deserve a spot. The sens were more concerned with asset management than winning hockey I guess.

I fully expect him to back in the NHL next year. Why would he waste a prime year in the minors when he can make some bank in KHL, then come back as a FA next year?

The sens didn't have room for him, but another team will.

edit: just checked his stats, he's 1 goal behind Ilya 'not good enough to play in the NHL' Kovalchuk for the league lead (in 4 less games played).

you guys are too much sometimes.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
So then you pretty much are stating you have bizzaro-hockeysmarts?

Makes a lot of sense considering most of your opinions.

You realize you just went triple dog down on 3 of the most useless players in Sens history right?

Underdog = Pageau.
Soft and weak with limited intensity and questionable hockey sense doesn't equal underdog... It equals playing in Europe not the NHL.
Bizarro hockey smarts ? No I'm not stating that.
Lee was not soft.

Step into my web.

And most if my opinions lol?

I was excited when we got filatov. I thought lee turned a corner. And I liked gilroy before he came to Ottawa so I was also excited when we got him?

Ouu. The controversy.

Pageau isn't an underdog if you go by this board. He's like... The savior.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I can't believe people are ragging on Da Costa so hard. He actually played great for us and he was only sent down because of the olympic break. I still believe we would have made the play-offs if he had stayed here last season.

He single handedly won 3 games for us before the olympic break, before being relegated to the AHL. Not sure what else he could have done to deserve a spot. The sens were more concerned with asset management than winning hockey I guess.

I fully expect him to back in the NHL next year. Why would he waste a prime year in the minors when he can make some bank in KHL, then come back as a FA next year?

The sens didn't have room for him, but another team will.

edit: just checked his stats, he's 1 goal behind Ilya 'not good enough to play in the NHL' Kovalchuk for the league lead (in 4 less games played).

you guys are too much sometimes.

He's also one behind Shirokov who couldn't crack the NHL either. KHL stats don't translate as easily as just comparing them to another ex -NHLr. Nobody misses Bochenski or Dustin Boyd.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
If Da Costa was a winger, maybe he'd still be here, but he was behind Turris, Zibanejad, Smith, Pageau, and Lazar (longterm). He didn't see an opportunity in the top 6, so he went were he could get a real chance.
But he shouldn't be behind Smith or Pageau.

The only thing if we'd kept SDC is that Lazar would have probably been sent down to juniors this year. And then I don't think you want to play SDC with Hoff and Stone. Maybe SDC is the one who plays with Michalek and Chiasson, and Ziba plays on the kid line?

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
He's also one behind Shirokov who couldn't crack the NHL either. KHL stats don't translate as easily as just comparing them to another ex -NHLr. Nobody misses Bochenski or Dustin Boyd.

Except Da Costa never got another chance in the NHL. As someone else said, it's not like he sucked in the NHL/AHL and then started blowing up in the KHL. It's just further proof that his game is progressing.

How is Kovy on the same level as Bochenski?

What exactly is your problem with Da Costa? As I said, he won us 3 games before the olympic break and was then sent back to AHL, only to dominate there. It's not like he sucked it up here for an entire season and then we said, "enough's enough."

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Except management decided to let him go.

I like him a lot, but if he was as good as some people say, you really think BM would let such a gem go?

BigBush*

They offered him a 2-way contract which means they qualified him, so yes. As long as they keep qualifying him they have his rights until he's 27.

thats awesome. I could see da costa working his way back to the nhl

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Except Da Costa never got another chance in the NHL. As someone else said, it's not like he sucked in the NHL/AHL and then started blowing up in the KHL. It's just further proof that his game is progressing.

How is Kovy on the same level as Bochenski?

What exactly is your problem with Da Costa? As I said, he won us 3 games before the olympic break and was then sent back to AHL, only to dominate there. It's not like he sucked it up here for an entire season and then we said, "enough's enough."

You're right but where does he fit. He's not moving Turris. Management likes zibanejad moving forward. He's not replacing lazar. And it's clear management likes having a "shut down" line. Which da costa doesn't fit in. Maybe da costa was only goo to sign if he was guarenteed NHL time. There's just no space for him.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Filatov and Da Costa aren't here because they didn't want to be here. Here being Bingo. Hoffman, Borowiecki, Stone etc. (and for that matter Greening and Condra too). They all played in The AHL until it was there time.
And both Da Costa and Filatov really needed the AHL. Both more then the KHL. Stone and Hoffman both worked their ass off to fix the holes in their game. Borowiecki rode the bus forever (and now has a 3 year 1-way deal).

Filatov and Da Costa both can do the KHL. It suits their games. They both are not as suited for the NHL and they needed to work on the physical and defensive parts of their games. I am not saying either didn't work hard or improve, but not enough. And they wanted a guaranteed NHL spot and they weren't ready for that. And due to their being European it made a lot of sense to make many 100's of thousands in the KHL vs $75K in the AHL.

But them not being in North America and in either Bingo or Ottawa is 100% on them and 0% on Murray or the Senators organization. If we had guaranteed them the NHL it would have been wrong and hurt the team.

All this BS about Legwand and Neil and Smith and Michalek not "earning" their spot or ice time is crap. They are veterans. They have bled and Murray and Maclean are not idiots. Now we FINALLY have depth so truly the best players play. Wasn't always like that. And we picked up so many bubble one dimensional players over the years. No more Hale and Lundin and Corvo, Bell or Lee. No more Filly, or some forward we take a flyer on.

We are soooo deep that Wiercioch and Cowen and Greening and Condra sit. We sat Stone for a game early. We have legit call ups that deserve a chance too. We are deep and we are good. We scratch legit NHL players. Condra is a very decent servicable smart player and a legit scratch. Amazing!!!!

Why cry for bubble players like Da Costa or Filatov or whomever? We don't need that anymore.
We rock 8 legit NHL D and 14 legit NHL forwards. We have prospects knocking for a shot. Ripe ones. And the lowest cap payroll in the NHL. A 8-4-4 good for 6th in point percentage in the East.

We are kicking. We did the rebuild. We are through the other side.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Filatov and Da Costa aren't here because they didn't want to be here. Here being Bingo. Hoffman, Borowiecki, Stone etc. (and for that matter Greening and Condra too). They all played in The AHL until it was there time.
And both Da Costa and Filatov really needed the AHL. Both more then the KHL. Stone and Hoffman both worked their ass off to fix the holes in their game. Borowiecki rode the bus forever (and now has a 3 year 1-way deal).

Filatov and Da Costa both can do the KHL. It suits their games. They both are not as suited for the NHL and they needed to work on the physical and defensive parts of their games. I am not saying either didn't work hard or improve, but not enough. And they wanted a guaranteed NHL spot and they weren't ready for that. And due to their being European it made a lot of sense to make many 100's of thousands in the KHL vs $75K in the AHL.

But them not being in North America and in either Bingo or Ottawa is 100% on them and 0% on Murray or the Senators organization. If we had guaranteed them the NHL it would have been wrong and hurt the team.

All this BS about Legwand and Neil and Smith and Michalek not "earning" their spot or ice time is crap. They are veterans. They have bled and Murray and Maclean are not idiots. Now we FINALLY have depth so truly the best players play. Wasn't always like that. And we picked up so many bubble one dimensional players over the years. No more Hale and Lundin and Corvo, Bell or Lee. No more Filly, or some forward we take a flyer on.

We are soooo deep that Wiercioch and Cowen and Greening and Condra sit. We sat Stone for a game early. We have legit call ups that deserve a chance too. We are deep and we are good. We scratch legit NHL players. Condra is a very decent servicable smart player and a legit scratch. Amazing!!!!

Why cry for bubble players like Da Costa or Filatov or whomever? We don't need that anymore.
We rock 8 legit NHL D and 14 legit NHL forwards. We have prospects knocking for a shot. Ripe ones. And the lowest cap payroll in the NHL. A 8-4-4 good for 6th in point percentage in the East.

We are kicking. We did the rebuild. We are through the other side.
Can't tell if legit excitement or sarcasm. I agree filatov and da costa shouldn't be here. But I mean were not reeeeeaaaaallllyyyy through the other side if the rebuild yet. There are still massive diffeciencies in our game.that I think more time is needed to fix and huge steps in development still need to be taken for this rebuild to be finished. Mcdavid would speed it along though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad