R. Nugent-Hopkins (Oilers - C): Goals: 0, Assists: 2

J. Eberle (Oilers - RW): Goals: 1, Assists: 0

C. Anderson (Senators - G): Saves: 34, Save Pct.: .919
LOL

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Anderson saves our ***** again.

Can Zibanejad be sent down, or does he have to go through waivers?

We need to instil a killer instinct when we get the lead. We take our foot off the pedal way too often

We don't have a great defenceman (or pairing) we can rely on, to shut games down. Wish we had something like Suter & Brodin.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
No way, he didnt have a very good game imo
ray ferraro was singing his praise (at least in the 1st half of the game). he was pushing towards the net and fighting

i liked a little about a lot of the players tonight: ceci carrying and putting the puck in the right places, cowen continuing to play with confidence, phillips with nice gap control, ryan rushing with the puck, turris doing everything he can, etc

we're in a better position standing-wise this year than last year and our players and team will get better through the season (moreso because we're young).

too bad mac didn't bury a 4th goal because it would have been less anxious but it's learning experience

Senacus Maximus

Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
No way, he didnt have a very good game imo...michalek and ryan had good games but zibby needed to pick it up a touch

Disagree. Zibby had a good game, Ryan was ok.

IMO

Also, who ever heard of giving the first 2 stars to the losing team. On top of that they didn't even give a star to the guy who scored twice including the OT winner. Good job Edmonton, the bias is showing.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
the three stars were ridiculously biased. the announcing too, at least from what i saw in the highlights, on ottawa's second goal the announcer finishes whatever boring sentence he was saying before mentioning that oh yeah by the way ottawa scored. didn't see the whole game but from the highlights zib looked key on a few plays.

Oct 10, 2010
Hoffman is LEGIT!

He's had a crap load of chances early on and didn't finish but now he's absolutely burying them!

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Yay! Sens won! I'll try to think about that rather than the fact that they gave up a three goal lead to Edmonton. Calgary is much much better than Edmonton, the team better bring it Saturday.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
That third Edmonton goal was the result of some brutal defensive play by us. Really, really bad. Michalek leaves his position to take the puck carrier but doesn't actually do anything to affect the puck carrier and his man scores a goal because he's standing in no man's land. Wasn't a good play for Boro either. In fact, his worst game of the year imo. Hope he rebounds next game.

Otherwise, great to get the 2 points out west. Would love to actually put in a good effort for 60 mins against Calgary and hopefully get a win.

Was nice to see the kids get more time early but I didn't see them as much in the 2nd period. Hope they get more and more time, they deserve it.

Finally, rough stretch for a few shifts in the second, but Zibby and Ryan were pretty solid out there. NO chemistry between them, but individually they worked hard and created a few things.

Last edited:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
The second goal was pretty terrible too... I'll admit up to that point I was snoozing (combination of jet lag and cold meds), but all I saw was Lazar in the net blocking Andy so there was a wide open section for Edmonton to score.

At least kitten was watching in OT :laugh:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Zibanejad played his best game of the season IMO.

He was good in the first period... so was everyone... and the oilers were evidently playing WAAAYYY below their standard, as we saw in the next two periods... he was mostly invisible for the last 40 minutes outside of one shift that i remember. get him on the wing... Center is too much for him right now, at least pulling the matchups that he is currently pulling

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
That third Edmonton goal was the result of some brutal defensive play by us. Really, really bad. Michalek leaves his position to take the puck carrier but doesn't actually do anything to affect the puck carrier and his man scores a goal because he's standing in no man's land. Wasn't a good play for Boro either. In fact, his worst game of the year imo. Hope he rebounds next game.

Otherwise, great to get the 2 points out west. Would love to actually put in a good effort for 60 mins against Calgary and hopefully get a win.

not quite 100 % but i think it was zibanejad and ryan that let RNH just stroll through the neutral zone...

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
not quite 100 % but i think it was zibanejad and ryan that let RNH just stroll through the neutral zone...

Yeah, they did. None of the 4 of the players mentioned did anything resembling solid defense on that play. They made it pretty easy on RNH.

Oh well, still a good win and something we can work on.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Was sooooo nice to see cowen/karlsson/hoffman/lazar in overtime

No only-defensive player on the ice (leggy/smith/neil etc) and guess what??

It paid off:yo:

Got to love how gryba and cowen turned things around in the last 5-7 games or so:D

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
To respond to a few posters in the GDT that dislike negativity after games like this.

I understand that these are all learning curves and scraping to make the playoffs is a learning experience...and we have these great young players.. but t comes down to opinion... Mine is:these young players ceilings are mostly second line players on cup contenders....none of them are kopitar, or bergeron, or toews, or Kane, or crosby, or malkin, or doughty, chara, keith. winning games liek these.. collecting a bunch of loser points... making the playoffs, losing... gives the illusion of progress, just like it did in the shortened season. Im not saying blow up the team cuz its going to suck... it sucks right now. withthe potential to be good, not great... I personally fear us being stuck in this saame cycle. always a bubble team. because our goalies kept us in games and got us just enough points to get us in the playoffs (again, different opinions, i dont believe a good team should make their goalie work as hard as we have made andy and lehner work, thats just me) This just never affects real change.. and coupled with that idiot owner how many times for the next 10 years is he gonna pull the "see we made the playoffs on the lowest payroll once you get in ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN..." personally i feel we are in the worst position possibly.. not that great, not in a position to build for our future (first line talent).. we are smack in the middle

And yes.. generationally elite draft. i get it.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Still lots to work on, but a win is a win. Keep it up boys... I want to see some playoff games again.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
my reading on what I saw is that the penalties killed their momentum. And the penalty against Gryba was BS given the non-call against the goof that delivered a heat shot to Neil. Loved during the intermission one of the guys said, 'Well, Neil is back playing so that will be a factor'...he may be right, but it shouldn't, that should not be a mitigating factor (no injury), you should look at the play and determine whether a reasonable person would view that as a deliberate or reckless hit to the head, with the head being the main point of contact.

There were a few other calls resulting from scums where only Ottawa got a call against them, yet an oiler gets his stick lodged in the helmet of an Boro (by divine intervention apparently) and no call...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gotta-see-it-borowieckis-visor-snags-perrons-stick/

The call at the end of the 3rd against Boro was a homer call...

just my two cents

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The call at the end of the 3rd against Boro was a homer call...

What was frustrating is that Lazar got high-sticked with just over 2 minutes left in the 3rd against Vancouver and there was no call.

Presumably because you don't give a penalty to the home team with 2 minutes left in the 3rd of a tie game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad