Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Oilers Nov. 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think that Pageau would be the ideal 3rd line centre as well, but to say that he is not fast enough to be a second line centre is just not correct. Pageau has the same size and speed as guys like Desharnais, D. Roy, D. Briere and S. Koivu, and plays a much more responsible defensive game than those guys with the exception of Koivu. All those guys at one point or another were second line centres and some of them were even 1st line centres. Heck T. White was a second line centre for us when we went to the Conference finals.
Same size and speed as those guys? Ok.... But that's where the comparison ends. He won't likely every be as good as any of the players you mentioned.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
If we are looking for a center in our top-6, Da Costa > Zibby > Pageau

Too bad we couldn't find a place for SDC on this team.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Da costa better than zibanejad.
Why because he played well in the A. And put up points in the KHL. Why don't we just sign some of the top ten scorers over there. That will certainly solve our top 6 issues here, in the NHL.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yeah, I had pretty much the same reaction last year when i was saying that Hoffman > Greening :laugh:

Yea but greening is bad. Zibanejad is not. I mean where do you think da costa would be in scoring the NHL this year. Id say five points with no where near the defensive ability of zibanejad. I wouldn't hate DC on this team. But he's not the second line center this team needs.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Same size and speed as those guys? Ok.... But that's where the comparison ends. He won't likely every be as good as any of the players you mentioned.

Ok....and you say that why? So, he could never be as good as Desharnais or T. White? I just love when people make predictions that have no merit behind them.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
DaCosta is also playing with a player who has been PPG in the KHL before he even got there, and in a league where goalies, defence systems, and two way players are pretty much insignificant compared to the NHL.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ok....and you say that why? So, he could never be as good as Desharnais or T. White? I just love when people make predictions that have no merit behind them.

I think he won't. You think he will..... Neither of us have time machines. We will wait and see. Say what you want about desharnais. But he is a damn good player. And does things with the puck that I don't think pageau can. To be those guys pageau has to put up 50-60 points. I don't see it. Sorry. I guess?

bonehead

May 27, 2002
Visit site
And I don't your logic. How do you know that pageau is needed to spark the 2nd or 3rd line. I'm a big fan of pageau. But I don't think he's gonna come in and were gonna be like "ohhh that's what everyone needed to get going. Just a little JG Pageau." He will more Han likely come in a bring exaclty what the other guys bring. Pretty good defensive play, more lost puck battles than won, and a lack of offense. He's good. But he's not the answer to any problem we are currently having.

Man. You've made me close my "zibanejad is not ready" agenda. And open my "pageau probably won't ever be a top 6 center" agenda. I'm really disorganized with this stuff. Agendas everywhere.

Hey, sorry to mess you up. I don't want to say that a 5'9" 4th round AHLer is the answer, but watching some of these games drives me a bit crazy.

I'm not saying Pageau is great - his ceiling is probably a decent 3rd line centre and there are no guarantees; we'll only know if they call him up / stick him in there. But after watching 93, 17 & 15 slog around the rink for 15 games, I think he'd be better defensively, win more puck battles, and provide more offense. I can only hope we get the chance to find out.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I unno why many of you jumping so quickly on starling with that opinion.

DaCosta was one of the best players in the A last year. Was just as valuable to the team as Hoffman was. He shored up his defensive game immensely too. He was on a streak before he was sent down.

DaCosta could very well be playing better than Zibanejad is, Russia or not. However, I do take Zibanejad going forward rather easily and I would see what DaCosta has to offer in next year's camp.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I like Da Bosta as much as the next guy, but his streak was 3 games and there's a reason why he was let go.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Da Costa hasn't been in the NHL for a long time now

Zibanejad is

SDC is tearing up the KHL, a league that has no defense and has horrible goaltending in general. There is no way you can argue that SDC is better than Zibanejad at this time.

In fact, doing so is a clear indicator that the person arguing it has no idea what they are talking about.

The KHL :biglaugh:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Dacosta doing well in a league that is arguably not even as strong as the AHL doesn't prove much.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If we are looking for a center in our top-6, Da Costa > Zibby > Pageau

Too bad we couldn't find a place for SDC on this team.

Hmm, how many of Da Costa's games in the KHL have you watched this year? I liked Da Costa, and would have liked if we could have found a spot for him, but I haven't seen any of his games since leaving for the KHL and I'm not about to rely on boxscores. I mean, is Danis Zaropov better too? How about Jan Kovar? Both are putting up more pts than Da Costa. Kiril Koltsov is a pt per game defensman, but is he NHL talent?

Lighting up the KHL =/= capable at the NHL level; it's a very different league.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Hey, sorry to mess you up. I don't want to say that a 5'9" 4th round AHLer is the answer, but watching some of these games drives me a bit crazy.

I'm not saying Pageau is great - his ceiling is probably a decent 3rd line centre and there are no guarantees; we'll only know if they call him up / stick him in there. But after watching 93, 17 & 15 slog around the rink for 15 games, I think he'd be better defensively, win more puck battles, and provide more offense. I can only hope we get the chance to find out.
I would like to see him too. I just don't know how much he is going to change. Our roster is jam packed as well. Very hard for anyone to come in. Greening pageau condra is our best option as a fourth line. That will never happen.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Uh, put me down that SDC would be better than Zib this year. Defensively Zib is slightly better, but there is no comparison in terms of offense between these two right now. That could, and probably will change in the future but absolutely SDC is a better player now. He showed it last year, given that it was a small sample.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad