OT: Sens Lounge XCX +1: NO POLITICS DAMNIT! edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Ohhh, just saw it..
Is that Palpatine laughing at the end?

Yes, the structure Rey and co. are looking at before the fade out is the Death Star.

Stupid Disney, they are terrified of the YT talking head cottage industry. Let's double down on the OT material, gotta keep the neckbeards happy.

VIII tried to give new life to the universe and characters (along with being a very mixed bag of a movie) and, first look seems to be, "Nope! the neckbeards are still making videos about The Last Jedi. We don't want that no more, we wanna go back to all the stupid "who are Rey's parents" videos we got after The Force Awakens".

God damn stupid execs and their "we create by committee and market research" garbage.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Yes, the structure Rey and co. are looking at before the fade out is the Death Star.

Stupid Disney, they are terrified of the YT talking head cottage industry. Let's double down on the OT material, gotta keep the neckbeards happy.

VIII tried to give new life to the universe and characters (along with being a very mixed bag of a movie) and, first look seems to be, "Nope! the neckbeards are still making videos about The Last Jedi. We don't want that no more, we wanna go back to all the stupid "who are Rey's parents" videos we got after The Force Awakens".

God damn stupid execs and their "we create by committee and market research" garbage.

I can't believe they didn't just write the entire trilogy before they filmed Force Awakens or at least have the basic story of the trilogy mapped out and stuck to it. It's like JJ made one movie that spawned some questions, Rian Johnson squashed some of his plans and came up with his own thing, and now it's like JJ is going nope lets go back to my plan. Like some weird tug of war that's making for a pretty mediocre series of movies so far.

If you're to believe the rumour (which honestly it probably is just a rumour / fan theory) it may have happened before as apparently in the prequels they were going to have Jar Jar turn out to be a sith in Attack of the Clones but the mass negative reaction to his character in Episode 1 got them to just say f*** it, lets get Christopher Lee to play some new bad guy.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
BEST:
1) Shawshank Redemption
2) Lord of the Rings (I'll consider the entire trilogy as one entry here)
3) Saving Private Ryan

FAVORITE:
1) Lord of the Rings (again, all of them)
2) Good WIll Hunting
3) O Brother Where Art Thou
Really like Shawshank and Good Will Hunting

Also like
A Few Good Men
Apocalypse Now
Pulp Fiction
The God Father P1 and P2
In the Name of the Father
The Last of the Mohicans

Last edited:
Reactions: 2CHAINZ

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I can't believe they didn't just write the entire trilogy before they filmed Force Awakens or at least have the basic story of the trilogy mapped out and stuck to it. It's like JJ made one movie that spawned some questions, Rian Johnson squashed some of his plans and came up with his own thing, and now it's like JJ is going nope lets go back to my plan. Like some weird tug of war that's making for a pretty mediocre series of movies so far.

If you're to believe the rumour (which honestly it probably is just a rumour / fan theory) it may have happened before as apparently in the prequels they were going to have Jar Jar turn out to be a sith in Attack of the Clones but the mass negative reaction to his character in Episode 1 got them to just say **** it, lets get Christopher Lee to play some new bad guy.

As mortifying of a rumour that is - I believe it to be true.

My Purilator guy at work is a hard core SW guy, and he’s done the research and believes it and so do I.

Speaking of the Purilator guy, he delivers the same residential catchment as my work’s - so he delivered my latest eBay purchase to me at the store today. A brand new BUNN Speedbrew coffee maker!

Drip coffee is delicious but takes so much time and grounds. I find French press to be too bitter. And no I don’t have a burr grinder.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

If you're to believe the rumour (which honestly it probably is just a rumour / fan theory) it may have happened before as apparently in the prequels they were going to have Jar Jar turn out to be a sith in Attack of the Clones but the mass negative reaction to his character in Episode 1 got them to just say **** it, lets get Christopher Lee to play some new bad guy.

That rumour sounds like total horse**** to be honest. Jar Jar was meant to please kids but be ended up getting a ton of backlash so they dropped him.

As far as not planning the new trilogy, that seems like classic executive arrogance to me: "we have Star Wars, we can print money now!". Surprise, surprise, that isn't how it works. This is why the Marvel movies work: they planned ahead because they weren't certain it was going to work.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The last good Star Wars movie was made in the 1980s.

Disagree along two main lines

- The Force Awakens was a fun "hey remember how Star Wars was fun" and it pulled it off. Inoffensive movie made to please everyone.
- The Last Jedi was very ambitious and a mixed bag. However, the highs are amongst the franchise best (the first half is too slow), while the lows are not anywhere near Prequel-bad. I consider it top 3 in the franchise (ESB and ANH as 1 and 2) but I am a contrarian and absolutely loved how the movie kept me on my toes the first time I saw it. This movie was not made to please everyone, some people see it as a troll job but that is a bit silly. The movie had a point but made it in an almost forceful manner.

- Return of the Jedi is awful. That's all

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

- The Force Awakens was a fun "hey remember how Star Wars was fun" and it pulled it off. Inoffensive movie made to please everyone.
- The Last Jedi was very ambitious and a mixed bag. However, the highs are amongst the franchise best (the first half is too slow), while the lows are not anywhere near Prequel-bad. I consider it top 3 in the franchise (ESB and ANH as 1 and 2) but I am a contrarian and absolutely loved how the movie kept me on my toes the first time I saw it. This movie was not made to please everyone, some people see it as a troll job but that is a bit silly. The movie had a point but made it in an almost forceful manner.

Return of the Jedi was the weakest of the originals but it was still a good film, even with the Ewoks.

It also held a strong grasp of storytelling logic and basic character arcs, something every star wars film since has failed at.

I think the new ones are better than the prequels, but if they weren't star wars films they'd be completely forgettable and people wouldn't be hemming and hawing over how mediocre they are.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

Return of the Jedi was the first movie I ever saw in a theater. Still one of my favorites.

What makes it awful?

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
That rumour sounds like total horse**** to be honest. Jar Jar was meant to please kids but be ended up getting a ton of backlash so they dropped him.
Yea the rumours I've heard said that Jar Jar was supposed to have a larger role in the story but then after the bad reaction they wrote him into a much smaller role.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Return of the Jedi was the weakest of the originals but it was still a good film, even with the Ewoks.

It also held a strong grasp of storytelling logic and basic character arcs, something every star wars film since has failed at.

I think the new ones are better than the prequels, but if they weren't star wars films they'd be completely forgettable and people wouldn't be hemming and hawing over how mediocre they are.

Agreed, Return of the Jedi was a solid film despite the Ewoks. The prequels get a lot of hate and maybe it's just because I was a kid when they came out, but they still feel like Star Wars to me even though objectively they're not great movies.

Liked Force Awakens at first, although I'll drop that down now to it's okay and I was just psyched a new Star Wars movie happened. Personally I thought Last Jedi was just an abomination of a movie. I admire the attempt to try something new, but the second that movie opened up with a "your mom" joke I knew this was gonna be a disaster.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
We've probably been through this whole debate on here before but after seeing Episode 1 (which I honestly would have walked out of if I weren't there with my family), I never bothered with 2 and 3 until like 10 years later, and maybe it was my lack of expectations, but I would say they actually remain my two favourite of the franchise.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison

The Ewoks were actually supposed to be Wookies on Kashyk but the script was too violent and they made Lucas change it.

Rogue One was good IMO. The rest, not so much.

Two flat lines in the whole movie but otherwise perfect. Fantastic concept, well executed, felt Star Wars. Darth Vader.

When I watch the original trilogy now it includes Rogue One.

Yea the rumours I've heard said that Jar Jar was supposed to have a larger role in the story but then after the bad reaction they wrote him into a much smaller role.

Jar-Jar was supposed to be a force wielding being who Palpatine manipulates into being a pawn in a trap to move Anakin to the dark side. Was to appear in all three films in a major role.

But the fallout from the accent debacle made Lucasfilm execs force him out of the script nearly entirely.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I think I'm more excited for the new Star Wars jedi game than episode 9. Which says a lot about The Last Jedi - a film that I liked when I saw it in the theater, but still have some huge problems with

Plus, Solo was a giant heaping pile of shit

KnockHobbler

Sep 13, 2018
Rip Vittoria trattoria in the byward market, awful news. I work at one of the other locations and feel like **** for the owner. Dude's a good man.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Rip Vittoria trattoria in the byward market, awful news. I work at one of the other locations and feel like **** for the owner. Dude's a good man.
I think they are going to rebuild, no?

Dom and Chezz are great guys, and I know it is Dom now...wonder what happened to the wine in the cellar?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I think I'm more excited for the new Star Wars jedi game than episode 9. Which says a lot about The Last Jedi - a film that I liked when I saw it in the theater, but still have some huge problems with

Plus, Solo was a giant heaping pile of ****
Dark Souls Star Wars edition made by Respawn. Please. Take my money.

Reactions: Deku

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Dark Souls Star Wars edition made by Respawn. Please. Take my money.

People who seem to be in the know (and who have been proven right) did say that combat in this was a bit like Sekiro: all about parrying etc... Supposed to be semi-open world (levels are hubs) so there is plenty to be excited about!

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
People who seem to be in the know (and who have been proven right) did say that combat in this was a bit like Sekiro: all about parrying etc... Supposed to be semi-open world (levels are hubs) so there is plenty to be excited about!
Yeah, I've been playing a ton of Sekiro and I think a few games in the near future are going to adopt that style of play with the posture meter. It would work extremely well in a game focused on light sabre combat.

I just hope that the designers understand what makes From Soft games so good in boss design. Gotta have that for it to be a satisfying and similar experience. They showed an inquisitor as a big baddie and that could be a fantastic boss style. If they have us fighting a bunch of inquisitors, then maybe some "big" enemies like AT STs or Rancours, thatd be amazing. There's so much material to work with in the Star Wars universe, I hope they deliver. I have a ton of faith in that studio. The Titanfall 2 campaign is one of the best shooter experiences of all time imo. This is a studio known for the FPS genre but they're vets and should be able to pull this off.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah, I've been playing a ton of Sekiro and I think a few games in the near future are going to adopt that style of play with the posture meter. It would work extremely well in a game focused on light sabre combat.

Also worth noting that Chris Avellone, the guy responsible for the writing in Knights of the Old Republic II (by far the best SW story ever written) and Fallout New Vegas is involved in this project. That alone has me very excited despite the bland trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad