OT: Sens Lounge XCVIII: 1000-Post Rule is Back Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Never trust the Weather Network when there's a window nearby!
Ha! This is true. But, when I'm at work, I don't have a window. Surrounded by brick walls, unfortunately. I have the biggest office, but it used to be a storage turning into a staging center. Only window I have is a monitor for the security camera feed outside.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
When it comes to music (as with most things), people are so myopic. You feel like so many great musicians are dying now because of the age you are and the age they are. There was nothing super special about the generation of musicians you grew up listening to. For your parents they could never match the performers they liked in their formative years and so on and so on. It's not that these musicians had so much "staying power", it's that the people that grew up listening to them suddenly got money and they went back into touring to cash in.
Golden age Hip Hop will never be recreated. That's a fact.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
But is the music industry really working towards making things better? With technology available to make damned near anyone sound decent, it feels (imho) they're putting a lot more development in visual looks and everyone having a unique "style", and there's less emphasis on the music itself. At least most of the mainstream/commercial stuff out there.
:thumbu:

This is why when genre or starting out you have the musicians and you have tha fans. It's not until record companies catch wind of it that they start signing these acts and eventually put a muzzle on them.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Honestly, I'd personally go in with a scalpel on that act. Some of the new rules, like the on-call stuff (min 3 hours pay per day) is going to wreak havoc on a lot of industries, especially in production oriented engineering occupations .
And the large majority of the people I know use those two paid sick days as two extra vacation days in the year. Heck, I used one to take a half day in order to make it to a friend's wedding because I don't have any vacation time yet where I work, and no banked hours yet either.

That's not to say there's not a lot of decent stuff in there, and there are sections of workers that I recognize need some of those protections but I'm not sure if it was all implemented the best way it could be.
The minimum wage spike was brutal. Instead of raising everyone to 14$ they should have left the minimum wage as is and allow for an employee after years of service to get up to $15 dollars an hour(1 dollar raise a year or something). No high school student should be making 14$ an hour for their first job.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
The minimum wage spike was brutal. Instead of raising everyone to 14$ they should have left the minimum wage as is and allow for an employee after years of service to get up to $15 dollars an hour(1 dollar raise a year or something). No high school student should be making 14$ an hour for their first job.
Completely agree. I know in our business we have re structured due to the minimum wage increases and have spent less on capital projects. This is all begun to backfire what the liberals have set up and Ford has realised this and is putting a stop to it. Good for Ontario.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands

Arbitrary and shallow claim.

The high school student should be paid whatever the market offers in a consensual transaction. Just like any other worker.

So if a high school student is making $18 an hour in a high demand job market (eg. Commodity or tech boom towns etc) good for them.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Arbitrary and shallow claim.

The high school student should be paid whatever the market offers in a consensual transaction. Just like any other worker.

So if a high school student is making $18 an hour in a high demand job market (eg. Commodity or tech boom towns etc) good for them.
The difference is the market is being forced to pay.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
The difference is the market is being forced to pay.

Forced to not discriminate by people's age. Another negative I think would happen if there was a lower minimum wage for younger people would be that it would be too difficult for low skilled workers to get jobs since they would be more expensive to hire.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

Where I'm at, technically a kid who hasn't graduated high school yet could start at 27... But really only if they had family there already in the union

The biggest pain point for me with the min wage increase was daycare, since ECEs outside of the school boards make a wage based on min wage (then apparently receive grants to bring it up a bit more but the base wage is min). So daycares jacked their prices on % scale too, which meant infant daycare was more than double my mortgage.

Then they conveniently forgot their promise to offset the increase, and just campaigned on a different promise that would have been a disaster with respect to daycare.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Oh no, Amazon has to pay $15 an hour now, so there goes their profit from 5 billion to 4.5 billion. Gee that sure sucks. :sarcasm:

I think its amusing. They did it preemptively in response to Bernie's BEZOS bill, but now are going to help lobby to get the minimum wage increased federally as a way to hurt their competitors.

Not the first time they've done something like this either.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

If minimum wage had kept up to inflation all these years, it would be at $20 to have the same buying power as minimum wage in the 1970s.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
If minimum wage had kept up to inflation all these years, it would be at $20 to have the same buying power as minimum wage in the 1970s.

I get that it was done quickly. But I have very little sympathy for companies (especially larger ones) who've been raising their prices year after year (without any increase to minimum wage) but then cry about the wage increase now.

I would be ok with a tiered system that rewarded people for staying at a job for a longer time although then I question if employers would let stay go to continually pay people less. Unfortunately whatever you do there will always be people who try to get around changes that cost more money.

Ahh... I'm ranting.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

In the 70's you had more Canadians with less than a highschool diploma in the workforce maintaining full time jobs. nowadays those proportions are considerably less. Today's minimum wage job is not supposed to support a family where as in the 70's it did. By the government implementing new work related standards and qualifications(higher learning) it resulted in on the job training professions to become 2 year college degrees. That's where the minimum wage disparity comes from with regards to keeping up with inflation. Today, minimum wage jobs are introductory jobs into the work force or for supplementary income.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I get that it was done quickly. But I have very little sympathy for companies (especially larger ones) who've been raising their prices year after year (without any increase to minimum wage) but then cry about the wage increase now.

I would be ok with a tiered system that rewarded people for staying at a job for a longer time although then I question if employers would let stay go to continually pay people less. Unfortunately whatever you do there will always be people who try to get around changes that cost more money.

Ahh... I'm ranting.
The government could put in legislation preventing employers from manipulating workers rights when it comes to age/benefits.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I just heard the craziest shit on the radio today. Parents and students are angry that they have to split a highschool with a school that was affected by the tornado. They had to call in the police for fear of violence. Kids were protesting out side and everything. When I was entering grade 7 my school wasn't finished being built yet so we shared a school just as they are doing now. We started at 12:30 and went until 5:30 for like 2 months. The fact that there is so much outage by this shows people are losing their grasp on reality. I never remember anyone having a negative word about this let alone protesting students and parents giving interviews to the media. This shouldn't even be a story imo.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I just heard the craziest **** on the radio today. Parents and students are angry that they have to split a highschool with a school that was affected by the tornado. They had to call in the police for fear of violence. Kids were protesting out side and everything. When I was entering grade 7 my school wasn't finished being built yet so we shared a school just as they are doing now. We started at 12:30 and went until 5:30 for like 2 months. The fact that there is so much outage by this shows people are losing their grasp on reality. I never remember anyone having a negative word about this let alone protesting students and parents giving interviews to the media. This shouldn't even be a story imo.

Without even looking it up, what do you think the chances are that the outraged community who are being "forced" to share a school with legit disaster victims are above median Canadian household income?

I'm going with 80%, at a minimum.

Reactions: JungleBeat

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Without even looking it up, what do you think the chances are that the outraged community who are being "forced" to share a school with legit disaster victims are above median Canadian household income?

I'm going with 80%, at a minimum.

It's in the northern part of Old Hull.

So that's a safe bet.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
students-protest-at-ecole-secondaire-de-l-ile.png

More than 200 students from l'École secondaire de l'Île protested over the arrival of students at École secondaire Mont-Bleu in Gatineau.

Safety concerns

Cantin and other parents expressed concern about safety and possible confrontations after seeing the opposition from de l'Île parents and students.

"I'm not sure how safe it's going to be. We'll have to see on the first day. I'd like to be there with him, but I can't," Cantin said.
On the school board's side, Sauvé said more staff have been called in and Gatineau police will have a presence at the school for the first day of the double schedule.

This is so sad. Why does everything need to lead to a protest now?

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
This is so sad. Why does everything need to lead to a protest now?

Because people are spoiled. Which I would like to qualify by saying that there are a lot of legitimate issues that people are finally starting to speak out against and protest, but then entitled people see them doing that and co-opt it because they want to feel like victims too, even though they are often the actual oppressors.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Because people are spoiled. Which I would like to qualify by saying that there are a lot of legitimate issues that people are finally starting to speak out against and protest, but then entitled people see them doing that and co-opt it because they want to feel like victims too, even though they are often the actual oppressors.

Eh, I would say that it is human nature to feel like you are a victim of something. People that have it easier just have smaller things to get upset about, but that doesn't mean their feelings aren't real.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
kids are protesting that theyre getting students from a damaged school?
this is ironic....

(sorry if i understood wrong.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: