OT: Sens Lounge XCVIII: 1000-Post Rule is Back Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Eh, I would say that it is human nature to feel like you are a victim of something. People that have it easier just have smaller things to get upset about, but that doesn't mean their feelings aren't real.

Hm, sure, it does and doesn't - the feelings can be real, but I don't think it's too much to ask of people to reflect on those feelings and realise the pettiness of their purported suffering. Like the case in question - having to go to school at a different time vs your school/home being destroyed. I don't find it that hard to relativise my problems and be thankful for what I do have, so I don't think it's out-of-line to expect the same of others.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Hm, sure, it does and doesn't - the feelings can be real, but I don't think it's too much to ask of people to reflect on those feelings and realise the pettiness of their purported suffering. Like the case in question - having to go to school at a different time vs your school/home being destroyed. I don't find it that hard to relativise my problems and be thankful for what I do have, so I don't think it's out-of-line to expect the same of others.

I agree it is something ridiculous to get upset about. But I think when approaching people that do take issue with it you should approach them with respect and try to explain why it shouldn't be problematic because they do have legitimate feelings about it. To pass them off as just being idiots will only burn any bridges there are and make them less willing to compromise.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
students-protest-at-ecole-secondaire-de-l-ile.png

More than 200 students from l'École secondaire de l'Île protested over the arrival of students at École secondaire Mont-Bleu in Gatineau.

Safety concerns

Cantin and other parents expressed concern about safety and possible confrontations after seeing the opposition from de l'Île parents and students.

"I'm not sure how safe it's going to be. We'll have to see on the first day. I'd like to be there with him, but I can't," Cantin said.
On the school board's side, Sauvé said more staff have been called in and Gatineau police will have a presence at the school for the first day of the double schedule.

This is so sad. Why does everything need to lead to a protest now?

I make a joke about it at work and, of course, the person I make the joke to is a supporter of these protesters...

Unbelievable luck :laugh:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I really do think that it is a little too ironic.

FYI, I would be liking all of these posts if I hadn't temporarily lost my ability to "like" posts after my out-of-character and ill-advised (yet highly cathartic, and if I'm being totally honest, highly satisfactory) explitive-laced tirade against one of the resident ner-do-wells on these boards earlier this week.

Consider them "liked" in spirit, if not in real life.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
FYI, I would be liking all of these posts if I hadn't temporarily lost my ability to "like" posts after my out-of-character and ill-advised (yet highly cathartic, and if I'm being totally honest, highly satisfactory) explitive-laced tirade against one of the resident ner-do-wells on these boards earlier this week.

Consider them "liked" in spirit, if not in real life.

I want you to know that I had a thing for you, but not liking my posts is just unacceptable.

Although after some reflection how bout me not blaming you for everything.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
The police, the pro-business lobby has funny interviews. They're comedic geniuses.

"This marihuana is a new street drug and we do not know how to deal with it when it becomes legalized".
"How will we test for impaired drivers?!?!?! What will we do when an employee at work is impaired?!?!?!?"

Come on. What have you all been doing the last 50 years when a significant percentage of people were using?

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
No, but I did get a free ride on the bus home today (presto reader was out of service) after I had already paid (monthly pass).

It's pretty ironic, if I do say so myself.

Like rain on your wedding day, one might even say.

EDIT: I see I was very late...

Last edited:

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
All of these amazing necro-bumps @Blotto71 is bringing back into my life are getting locked, making me sad like rain on my wedding day.

That was fun. Some good, thread-worthy, non-spam type material on pages 170-187. My favourite being the hockey goggles thread. It was informative and I grew as a person.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The police, the pro-business lobby has funny interviews. They're comedic geniuses.

"This marihuana is a new street drug and we do not know how to deal with it when it becomes legalized".
"How will we test for impaired drivers?!?!?! What will we do when an employee at work is impaired?!?!?!?"

Come on. What have you all been doing the last 50 years when a significant percentage of people were using?
They are just looking for more money to fight an issue that has never been an issue.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

260.jpg

:dunno:

"How will we test for impaired drivers?!?!?"

In fairness this is a legit issue that independent labs have been devoting significant resources towards for decades without any results.

The tests suck, and the issue isn't a lack of effort, but more that it's just an incredibly hard substance to test for if you want to be accurate with both consumption amounts and consumption timelines. I've been doing some readings into it and it's actually really interesting. THC is incredibly tricky because it stays in your system for so long that you can smoke weeks before taking a test and still come up as positive. It's not like alcohol, which we have both a very reliable and easy test for, and the body process it fast enough that it's no longer detectable through standard tests once you're no longer inebriated.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
260.jpg

:dunno:

In fairness this is a legit issue that independent labs have been devoting significant resources towards for decades without any results.

The tests suck, and the issue isn't a lack of effort, but more that it's just an incredibly hard substance to test for if you want to be accurate with both consumption amounts and consumption timelines. I've been doing some readings into it and it's actually really interesting. THC is incredibly tricky because it stays in your system for so long that you can smoke weeks before taking a test and still come up as positive. It's not like alcohol, which we have both a very reliable and easy test for, and the body process it fast enough that it's no longer detectable through standard tests once you're no longer inebriated.
The real question is is pot inebriating? It doesn't effect motor skills like alcohol.

OUTHOUSE

Feb 16, 2008
99 Rideau
For those collecting the Tim’s hockey cards, I managed to pull the #1 Draft Pick Redemption card on maybe my 10th or so pack. Debating on if I should attempt to sell it now or wait it out.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
The real question is is pot inebriating? It doesn't effect motor skills like alcohol.

I don't think that's the real question. It is certainly impairing. Obviously in a different way to alcohol, which has the added negative of making one overconfident and uninhibited, but arguments along the lines of "if you're paranoid you're more careful so it's fine" don't really hold a lot of water. And I say this as someone who has driven stoned many times and always been meticulously careful and aware, but I have also ridden with stoned drivers where I have not felt safe at all.

Or were you making a pun?

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Speaking of pot, huge money to be made in the stocks......green gold rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad