OT: Sens Lounge XCVII: "Zorf; 21 times!" Edition

What is more satisfying?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Yeah about that... They just accuse you of arson and force you to take them to court and ten years later you can get some of what you were owed...

My parents actually have a case that's apparently in law textbooks now according to a former schoolmate of mine that became a lawyer.
What happened to your parents?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
What happened to your parents?

During an ice storm, fire started. Burnt down my parents furniture store. Fire dept ran out of oxygen about part way through and hot spots flared up and took out the rest of the main floor.

They had loss of business insurance with the same company, so neither the building insurance nor loss of business was paid out because they had their own fire inspector declare the cause "undetermined" and effectively accused my dad of arson.

At one point attempted to settle with my parents out of court for less than half the claim, tried to play the "wait and see if they declare bankruptcy" game, and the week before the case started they sent people around town to try and dig up dirt on my dad from local townspeople.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
During an ice storm, fire started. Burnt down my parents furniture store. Fire dept ran out of oxygen about part way through and hot spots flared up and took out the rest of the main floor.

They had loss of business insurance with the same company, so neither the building insurance nor loss of business was paid out because they had their own fire inspector declare the cause "undetermined" and effectively accused my dad of arson.

At one point attempted to settle with my parents out of court for less than half the claim, tried to play the "wait and see if they declare bankruptcy" game, and the week before the case started they sent people around town to try and dig up dirt on my dad from local townspeople.
Holy geeezzzzz.... what an incredible situation!! I honestly feel that these companies are evil!!

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I hate, despise, detest home insurance! /rant over!

A good friend of mine works in insurance. Probably too late to help you with your current issue, but if you want honesty and someone who will do their best not to eff you over, send me a DM and I'll give you his info.

I've had 2 claims in the last 2 years and not a peep of an issue from the company. Full payout both times, no problems at all.

He's in Ottawa though... I kind of just assumed you live here...

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Happy early Canada day! More Importantly, free agency day!

What are y'all Doing for Canada day? I'm heading down to Niagara falls, zip lining over the falls should be pretty epic!

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Boy, anyone who thinks soccer is just boring should watch this France argentina game

It seems to me that soccer is to tainted in the eyes of many North Americans to give it a fair shot, which I think is unfortunate. Whether it is low scoring, slow, or too much diving, it at least seems to me that there are plenty of people who's only interest in soccer is making fun of it.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
It seems to me that soccer is to tainted in the eyes of many North Americans to give it a fair shot, which I think is unfortunate. Whether it is low scoring, slow, or too much diving, it at least seems to me that there are plenty of people who's only interest in soccer is making fun of it.

I don't like the diving, but seems they're calling it a bit now at least. Korea had bullshit dive called against them against Germany.

I can enjoy a 1-0 hockey game, too, though, so maybe I'm the wrong person to defend the low scoring part... It is that compared to hockey at least.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I don't like the diving, but seems they're calling it a bit now at least. Korea had bull**** dive called against them against Germany.

I can enjoy a 1-0 hockey game, too, though, so maybe I'm the wrong person to defend the low scoring part... It is that compared to hockey at least.

Low scoring doesn't necessarily mean low excitement in my opinion. Scoring chances can be just as exciting even without a goal. And too much scoring (basketball) takes away any of the excitement that comes from scoring.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Low scoring doesn't necessarily mean low excitement in my opinion. Scoring chances can be just as exciting even without a goal. And too much scoring (basketball) takes away any of the excitement that comes from scoring.

We're on exactly the same level there. My problem with basketball is that no single point really matters until the last 5 minutes. But it's all about what you like I guess. Basketball pays off a lot more in highlights.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Ohhh and my arch nemesis Ronaldo is about to get tossed from the tourney! Go not Ronaldo!

And then go not Suarez next round!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
North Americans, in general, have a hard time with sports that require continuous attention.

Baseball and Runball are brutally stop and go which means it's easy to know when to pay attention. Hockey and basketball less so but there is still quite a bit of down time.

Football requires people to pay attention all the time. Doesn't translate well for audiences with short attention spans who need to be told when to pay attention.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
North Americans, in general, have a hard time with sports that require continuous attention.

Baseball and Runball are brutally stop and go which means it's easy to know when to pay attention. Hockey and basketball less so but there is still quite a bit of down time.

Football requires people to pay attention all the time. Doesn't translate well for audiences with short attention spans who need to be told when to pay attention.

Could be, I'll give you a bit of a different take. I've never been a big soccer fan, never played it and didn't really understand it. The only time I would watch was the World Cup and only passively since the 80s. But this year I've watched no less than 20 games and probably more, it's been fantastic. Yeah, I don't really like the rolling around but the skill on these guys is incredible, wow. I've really enjoyed it and am sure I will arrange my schedule to watch pretty much every remaining game. Obviously I've gotten to understand it much better with so much viewing, I haven't picked a favourite team yet but probably will this week.

As an aside, I lived in Little Italy Toronto during 1982 when they won. People began spilling onto the streets and were firing guns into the air, it was nuts. I figured I'd better get out of there or I would have been land-locked for days, I had to drive on sidewalks to get out.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007

I mean... You touched on another issue I wasn't going to mention, but seeing as you brought it up, why do we call a game that mostly involves hands and hitting "football"? Makes no sense to me.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I mean... You touched on another issue I wasn't going to mention, but seeing as you brought it up, why do we call a game that mostly involves hands and hitting "football"? Makes no sense to me.

American/Canadian Football, Aussie Rules, Rugby, and Soccer all trace their origins to the same game and are all considered "codes" of football.

Reactions: Hutz

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
American/Canadian Football, Aussie Rules, Rugby, and Soccer all trace their origins to the same game and are all considered "codes" of football.

American and Canadian Runball are just piggybacking off actual Football.

The other ones at least have enough "pride" to have their own name. Being actual fun sports to watch also helps, the only reason Runball is popular is because of TV.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
American and Canadian Runball are just piggybacking off actual Football.

The other ones at least have enough "pride" to have their own name. Being actual fun sports to watch also helps, the only reason Runball is popular is because of TV.

I get that for today's game the name is stupid. But the game it was when it got that name was very different and involved much much much more kicking so the name made more sense at the time.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I get that for today's game the name is stupid. But the game it was when it got that name was very different and involved much much much more kicking so the name made more sense at the time.

Also I will admit, gladly even, that Runball is a ton of fun to play. Just a complete borefest to watch.

As opposed to baseball which is boring to play and boring to watch. It doesn't even deserve a capital letter :laugh:

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Also I will admit, gladly even, that Runball is a ton of fun to play. Just a complete borefest to watch.

As opposed to baseball which is boring to play and boring to watch. It doesn't even deserve a capital letter :laugh:
My mom wouldn’t be happy to hear that lol - she has baseball at #1, even before hockey :)

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary

Although I don't watch it much anymore I still enjoy the CFL far more than the NFL. I agree baseball is boring most of the time, but the slowness is good for building tension and therefore excitement in scenarios like down by one with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 8th in game 7 of the world series. But 20/20 cricket is much better to watch than baseball under normal circumstances. High impact plays (outs and boundaries) happen regularly enough that they make the game more interesting, but not so regular (like basketball scoring) that it becomes routine instead of exciting .

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
I love Aussie Rules so freaking much. Only other sport I follow closely outside of hockey. But that 14-hour time difference is a real killer.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I love Aussie Rules so freaking much. Only other sport I follow closely outside of hockey. But that 14-hour time difference is a real killer.

A real treat to watch live as well!

Of course I ended up picking the Melbourne Demons as my team when I was down under in 2012 and they were horribly bad

I wonder how they are doing these days?

Reactions: Slack
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad