OT: Sens Lounge XCIX: Thicc Whip Edition

Who would win in a race - my Honda Element or Zorf's minivan?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Is a 10pm bed time too late for a 2 year old?

What's the total of the sleep picture like?

If you are getting kid up for daycare at like 630am I'd say yes.

If the kid can sleep until they self wake in the morning and it works for you, who cares?

You are going to get wildly subjective and anecdotal answers.

My 2 year old generally goes down around 830pm. Wakes up around 730am. Still hits about a 2 hr nap everyday between 230pm-5pm.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
It is not my kid, but my friends. It seems weird to me to let a two year old stay up till 10pm
Whether it's good for the kid or not is one question... but my question would be "Why?". As a parent, those 3 or 4 hours in the evening after the kid(s) have gone to bed are absolutely gold. Why in the world would you keep the kid up to eat into that time?

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Whether it's good for the kid or not is one question... but my question would be "Why?". As a parent, those 3 or 4 hours in the evening after the kid(s) have gone to bed are absolutely gold. Why in the world would you keep the kid up to eat into that time?

Not a parent, but if the kid is waking you up at 5 or 6 in the morning I could understand the frustration at least.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
On the topic, my son was saying tonight how glad he is tomorrow's Saturday and he doesn't have to get up for school. The funny thing? They generally get up earlier on the weekend than when I have to drag them out of bed for school (though that's probably different now that it's dark so long).

Reactions: coladin
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
You are now swallowing, breathing and blinking manually.
You are also hyper-aware of the position of your tongue and the potential food stuck in between your teeth and your cheek.
Is your jaw is also pretty heavy?
Are you also slouching slightly? You should probably remember to sit up straight.
Maybe the feeling of your clothing on your skin is slightly distracting?
Hey is that an itch on your back? You know, right at that spot that is impossible to reach with your hands to scratch. You shouldn't be scratching anyways.
It's probably at this time you are realizing just how uncomfortable your current sitting position is.
You probably need to go pee now don't you?

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
On the topic, my son was saying tonight how glad he is tomorrow's Saturday and he doesn't have to get up for school. The funny thing? They generally get up earlier on the weekend than when I have to drag them out of bed for school (though that's probably different now that it's dark so long).
So so true, my 8 yr old and 10 yr old, weekdays my wife pulls her hair waiting for them to get out of bed, then it's a mad dash for the bus.......on the weekends, up bright and early. Mind you, the 10 yr old boy has early morning hockey on the weekends and our daughter is in competitive dance so she is also up early, but you do notice more desire on the weekends to get up early voluntarily.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I made an incredible Basil Pesto this morning
I’m going to hide in the middle layerof a three cheese lasagne with Provalone, Ricotta and Parmigiano Reggiano
Make a nice Tomato sauce that’s going to pop with the Pesto

Do up some Ricotta Gnocchi as a side, fry them in some butter , get a nice crunch... serve with the sauce... man

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I’m going to hide in the middle layerof a three cheese lasagne with Provalone, Ricotta and Parmigiano Reggiano

Do up some Ricotta Gnocchi as a side, fry them in some butter , get a nice crunch... serve with the sauce... man

Is this like going to be a popout cake moment? Pretty elaborate!

Reactions: DrEasy

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Bravo. I make my own pesto as well. I have been adding a couple sundried tomatoes and it is a nice , mild addition. Love pesto and goes on lots of stuff other than pasta. Chicken. Halibut is my favourite!

Reactions: Sens

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Bravo. I make my own pesto as well. I have been adding a couple sundried tomatoes and it is a nice , mild addition. Love pesto and goes on lots of stuff other than pasta. Chicken. Halibut is my favourite!

What's a good pesto recipe. Still trying to work fish into a regular routine but kinda hit and miss with the various whitefish.

Best way I've done so far is egg wash and then a bit of cassava flour and a homemade shake n bake mix of spices for breading, then either fry or bake

Reactions: coladin

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
What's a good pesto recipe. Still trying to work fish into a regular routine but kinda hit and miss with the various whitefish.

Best way I've done so far is egg wash and then a bit of cassava flour and a homemade shake n bake mix of spices for breading, then either fry or bake

Lots of basil. Fill your processer or blender. 1 clove of garlic. Salt and pepper. Toasted pine nuts, a handful. I sometimes add walnuts for a different flavour. Last, a couple pieces of sundries tomato already in oil. Start the blender, pulsing at first. Then start trickling in olive oil until finely blended. Oh, I almost forgot peperincino. Or your favorite hot pepper.

At this point i put in a Tupperware and then a light coating of oil over the pesto. Then i make the next batch and repeat the first part. The oil acts as a sealant. When I am ready to make it , whether with pasta, chicken or halibut, I then add Romano cheese and parmigiano. Voilà!

Lately, whether with cod, paddock or other white fish, I do olive oil, lemon juice , garlic and a splash of white wine along with some of your favorite herbs/spices.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sens

Jan 7, 2016

Coladin has the Basil Pesto nice... Id only like to add that you need to keep an eye on the pine nuts when you toast them... they toast quick and you don’t want to burn them, the bitterness takes away from a wonderful ingredient.... and I’d squeeze fresh lemon juice in to the Pesto while blending
The acid gives the back of mouth feel that makes you want to come back for another bite

If you want to go in a different direction I developed a Cilantro Pesto that works well with Fish.
2 cups cilantro
1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seed
1/4 cup red onion
2 table white wine vinager
3 garlic cloves (I like mincing and sautéing in olive oil before adding to blender, for all pestos)
2-3 table of olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Blend it all together... delicious

Last edited:

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
The Basil Pesto Lasagna was deadly

Attachments

• 04C504BC-ADEF-4DC7-AD3A-2EDA62BC97B9.jpeg
    04C504BC-ADEF-4DC7-AD3A-2EDA62BC97B9.jpeg
    435.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 9CB7CD2B-91B2-4D84-8FCB-0ACC911BED87.jpeg
    9CB7CD2B-91B2-4D84-8FCB-0ACC911BED87.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 11

Sens

Jan 7, 2016

Sundried Tomato goes well with Goat Cheese
Can do a wicked stuffed chicken with those two ingredients as your starting point

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Ricotta Gnocchi in Thyme Butter... made it for the wife and I for breakfast

Attachments

• 911AFD46-649B-492C-98BD-6BE453E1A393.jpeg
    911AFD46-649B-492C-98BD-6BE453E1A393.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 7
  • BE586360-CA88-49D0-8E81-0E9D75D86A5F.jpeg
    BE586360-CA88-49D0-8E81-0E9D75D86A5F.jpeg
    349.3 KB · Views: 7

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I just got a raise on Friday. Reading this post is what I needed to get me to go buy a new turntable. Been a while since I sat down to listen to records :)

Nice, are you going new or vintage? I've never really gotten away from enjoying vintage stereo but have upgraded a number of my components the last couple of years. Turntables like anything else are something you can spend a little or pretty much whatever you want. Imo, good speakers and turntable are where you get the most bang for your buck with respect to sound quality by spending a bit more. Enjoy.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Coladin has the Basil Pesto nice... Id only like to add that you need to keep an eye on the pine nuts when you toast them... they toast quick and you don’t want to burn them, the bitterness takes away from a wonderful ingredient.... and I’d squeeze fresh lemon juice in to the Pesto while blending
The acid gives the back of mouth feel that makes you want to come back for another bite

If you want to go in a different direction I developed a Cilantro Pesto that works well with Fish.
2 cups cilantro
1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seed
1/4 cup red onion
2 table white wine vinager
3 garlic cloves (I like mincing and sautéing in olive oil before adding to blender, for all pestos)
2-3 table of olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Blend it all together... delicious

Yes, great point about the pinenuts. I have wasted 20 bucks worth once. Once lol. Even if they don't look toasted...take them out!

What the lemon will also do is make the greens more vibrant. Whenever I make a strawberry coulis for cheesecake, a little splash of lemon will make the red colour pop

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Nice, are you going new or vintage? I've never really gotten away from enjoying vintage stereo but have upgraded a number of my components the last couple of years. Turntables like anything else are something you can spend a little or pretty much whatever you want. Imo, good speakers and turntable are where you get the most bang for your buck with respect to sound quality by spending a bit more. Enjoy.

I got an audio technica at-lp60 for $230.

I assume it is very basic but it works fine so far. The amp is a recent Sony, while the speakers are two Kitsch bookshelves line-up with some bigger, warmer ones from I'd guess the mid 80's, but no idea who made them. Got them off Kijiji from some older gentleman in Embrum.

It has taken about a year but my full set up is now complete :D

Reactions: Refuter

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I got an audio technica at-lp60 for $230.

I assume it is very basic but it works fine so far. The amp is a recent Sony, while the speakers are two Kitsch bookshelves line-up with some bigger, warmer ones from I'd guess the mid 80's, but no idea who made them. Got them off Kijiji from some older gentleman in Embrum.

It has taken about a year but my full set up is now complete :D

Interesting, I have the exact same table. I don't use it in my listening room (even though it's fine for that) as I upgraded to something vintage that I really like. What the AT is superb at is transferring your vinyl to digital format as it is a USB. I transferred much of my vinyl collection for use on my phone. Download Audacity for labeling and editing on your computer, works great. Best of both worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad