OT: Sens Lounge XCIX: Thicc Whip Edition

Who would win in a race - my Honda Element or Zorf's minivan?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Completely false. That might be your opinion. I did a 5 day water cleanse and it was great. Every craving I had disappeared, was more alert, and I never got "full" when eating. Helped me understand better the difference between being hungry and being thirsty. Lost 24 pounds and after starting back on healthier foods only gained back 10 pounds. Almost everyone I told about it said if you don't eat food you will die. Our bodies aren't designed like that.

For the purpose of “detoxing” your body it’s not false. Your liver does that.

If it makes you feel mentally better thats great for you. But a detox doesn’t remove toxins our liver does that for us.

So please don’t say false. It’s science.
Detox diets: Do they work?

Reactions: coladin

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Not referring to your water cleanse, but generally, I think cleanses are good for figuring out what foods disagree with you and maybe showing you what eating clean can feel like. But unless you actually permanently change your diet I don’t buy the idea of a cleanse actually doing anything.
I wanted to try something different. I have been doing intermittent fasting for a while now so to try nothing but water for 5 1/2 days was not very hard.

The typical North American diet consists of a lot of simple carbs. Not that most people want to eat them but in a time crunch or after a long day the are readily available. I not big on gluten free stuff but must say I have found some things to be alright to add into your diet. I agree it is a waste if you go back to a bad diet but just knowing what the other side is is empowering. I found it as a way the reboot my appetite.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
For the purpose of “detoxing” your body it’s not false. Your liver does that.

If it makes you feel mentally better thats great for you. But a detox doesn’t remove toxins our liver does that for us.

So please don’t say false. It’s science.
You said Detoxes are a waste. You assume that we are only talking about the toxins your liver filters. Detoxifying your body has more to do with resetting the way it works. Many ailments can be reversed by cutting things out of your diet.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
You said Detoxes are a waste. You assume that we are only talking about the toxins your liver filters. Detoxifying your body has more to do with resetting the way it works. Many ailments can be reversed by cutting things out of your diet.

I said they are a waste for detoxifying. That’s what your liver is for. Sure it’s a nice base to start a healthy eating regiment but the diet is called a “detox” so yes for detoxifying it’s a waste.

They need to call it something else I suppose.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
What about the liver itself? I'm sure it must benefit from the little vacation it gets from a detox. Assuming it's something where you're cleaning out your system properly, not that mumbo jumbo of drinking tea and jumping onto a sauna for a few hours.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Completely false. That might be your opinion. I did a 5 day water cleanse and it was great. Every craving I had disappeared, was more alert, and I never got "full" when eating. Helped me understand better the difference between being hungry and being thirsty. Lost 24 pounds and after starting back on healthier foods only gained back 10 pounds. Almost everyone I told about it said if you don't eat food you will die. Our bodies aren't designed like that.

If all you did was drink water for 5 days, that feeling of alertness is actually a safety survival mechanism during starvation. Cutting carbs down to near zero levels does the same thing.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
wrt coffee and caffeine ... about 15 yrs ago I had a serious coffee problem. Was drinking 5 or 6 very strong cups per day. The caffeine level eventually started to make me VERY jumpy and agitated ALL THE TIME. Often felt light headed. Never, ever slept well. Strangest symptom I would get is when something startled me -- say a car cutting me off on the highway or something like that -- I'd get this sort of electric shock sensation in my feet and hands. Very disturbing.

So I quit coffee and all forms of caffeine cold turkey. It took about 6 months for the headaches and edginess to start go away, and probably a full year before I actually felt normal again.

Now I can drink caffeine, but limit myself to 2 or 3 cups of tea per day. Will never drink coffee again as I expect I'd just go right back to od'ing on it.

It's too bad, because I used to really love the taste of good coffee.

Reactions: Stylizer1

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
If all you did was drink water for 5 days, that feeling of alertness is actually a safety survival mechanism during starvation. Cutting carbs down to near zero levels does the same thing.
Actually it is the response of your body using its own stored energy efficiently and as long as you keep hydrated and add salt your body does the rest.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
This is not a knock on you, just as good an opportunity as any to get this rant out. It genuinely bothers me that so much evidence, statistics, science, and fact is so frequently ignored in today’s society because a single person had a single opposite experience. Anecdotal evidence will never trump scientific evidence.

EDIT: Also not a comment on this conversation directly as I’m aware no evidence was presented on either side. Just a general brainwave that was sparked by this post.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
This is not a knock on you, just as good an opportunity as any to get this rant out. It genuinely bothers me that so much evidence, statistics, science, and fact is so frequently ignored in today’s society because a single person had a single opposite experience. Anecdotal evidence will never trump scientific evidence.

EDIT: Also not a comment on this conversation directly as I’m aware no evidence was presented on either side. Just a general brainwave that was sparked by this post.

Hey I posted my Mayo clinic link, that's are reputable as you can get!

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

Deciding to do some further research and while it seems like there definitely could be a link between better health and sauna use more studies need to be done. And people with certain problems shouldn’t use sauna therapy.

Still doesn’t have anything to do with the liver though.

Last edited:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
We all watch sports so we know that the mental aspect can be almost as important as the physical. I hope it's not controversial to say the same is true of health. So if fasting or eating a certain diet makes someone feel better, who's to say it's not healthy? I fasted a few times, a long time ago now, and the one thing it made me realise most is how much TIME we spend on food. It was like, now that I don't have to buy/cook/eat food I have so much TIME.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
So espresso?

My wife is into espresso and that is quite an expensive hobby. Whether Nespresso or a manual espresso maker, those things are damn expensive. The manual ones take some skill to get right and a few minutes to make as well.

I'm a tea person, never liked the taste of coffee and I have so many friends that are so dependent on it I refuse to drink it and acquire the taste.

Espresso doesn't really need to be expensive. I mean, sure, if you want a machine that works as well as one in a cafe, but I just use one of these guys -
Bialetti-Elegance-Venus-Induction-6-Cup-Stainless-Steel-Espresso-Maker.png

Yeah. Drink coffee black if you want to "appreciate" it. Although it also means that you become a hell of a lot more sensitive to the taste when it's burnt (unless you really enjoy the flavour of charcoal and ash in your mouth).

Upside too is that when you spill your coffee, there's no sugar or proteins in it to really destroy any electronics the spill lands on.

For a long time I wasn't into coffee, but when I did start drinking it, black was the way to go. Also, I don't particularly mind burnt coffee. In general I've never much understood why being able to appreciate finer things should necessarily mean that you can no longer stand low-quality things. I would say being able to stand low-quality things is a skill no one should want to get rid of.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Re: black coffee

I'm lactose intolerant, so I always grew up drinking black coffee because non-dairy creamer tastes the same way that the dairy fridge at a grocery store smells, and after being the "dairy boy" for a few years at a Loeb grocery store as a teenager, the association made me gag every time I thought about adding any dairy-esque component to my coffee.

I've been making my coffee at home in a french press for about a decade at this point - much more control over how strong you want your coffee than percolating it, which usually comes out too light for my tastes.

For a bad cup of coffee (ie: office coffee), I'll usually add stevia, since it's naturally a bit bitter and is a nice compliment to coffee. For good coffee though, black is best, AINEC.

Reactions: coladin

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
... his argument was for what Nespresso is, it makes pretty good espresso, and is very convenient time wise as she is a doctor and doesnt have time to be waiting around to make a perfect cup of espresso.

That's a very fair argument. Doctors offices, waiting rooms... These are the kinds of places where nespresso machines make sense, irregardless of quality.

My bank has a nespresso machine and I can always grab a quick cup of very mediocre coffee anytime I have an appt there, and it's definitely better than no coffee.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I wanted to try something different. I have been doing intermittent fasting for a while now so to try nothing but water for 5 1/2 days was not very hard.

The typical North American diet consists of a lot of simple carbs. Not that most people want to eat them but in a time crunch or after a long day the are readily available. I not big on gluten free stuff but must say I have found some things to be alright to add into your diet. I agree it is a waste if you go back to a bad diet but just knowing what the other side is is empowering. I found it as a way the reboot my appetite.

I am not sure what you actually detoxed , other than starve yourself. I mean, to reboot your system, maaaaaybe, you could do something like that?

I am not a doctor, but my doc laughed at the trendiness of detoxes, and made a medical reason on why they don't work. But there is a mental aspect to it. My detox was grueling, and it didn't change anything, because people resume their pre-detox activities.

My lifestyle change is sustainable, and not only have i lost weight ( which wasn't my mission, but, ahem, doesn't hurt), but a general well being and peace ,physically, is what the payoff is. My abdominal issues have subsided almost completely. It is quite incredible.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

I don't think that was meant to be funny?

But I laughed when I read "safety survival" lol. @Stylizer1 , I don't know how you did it!

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Espresso doesn't really need to be expensive. I mean, sure, if you want a machine that works as well as one in a cafe, but I just use one of these guys -
Bialetti-Elegance-Venus-Induction-6-Cup-Stainless-Steel-Espresso-Maker.png

For a long time I wasn't into coffee, but when I did start drinking it, black was the way to go. Also, I don't particularly mind burnt coffee. In general I've never much understood why being able to appreciate finer things should necessarily mean that you can no longer stand low-quality things. I would say being able to stand low-quality things is a skill no one should want to get rid of.

Questo e un a macchina bellisima!

I grew up making this for my parents from the age of 8. Every Sunday morning and still have the exact same jug. I actually prefer it to the machines of today

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Placebo's are very effective.

What you're calling a detox is simply pseudoscience, as is the whole homeopathy industry.

Detox: What “They” Don’t Want You To Know

I am not doing a detox, it is more a lifestyle change...avoiding foods that are not necessary for me and such, but, I agree 100% about the detox fad, it is quite trendy. That article made me chuckle, it is crazy what people will do to themselves.

And reading that link (thanks) makes you realize how incredible our liver and kidneys are.

Reactions: Engineer

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I am not sure what you actually detoxed , other than starve yourself. I mean, to reboot your system, maaaaaybe, you could do something like that?

I am not a doctor, but my doc laughed at the trendiness of detoxes, and made a medical reason on why they don't work. But there is a mental aspect to it. My detox was grueling, and it didn't change anything, because people resume their pre-detox activities.

My lifestyle change is sustainable, and not only have i lost weight ( which wasn't my mission, but, ahem, doesn't hurt), but a general well being and peace ,physically, is what the payoff is. My abdominal issues have subsided almost completely. It is quite incredible.
Many peoples systems are out of whack and it has everything to do with the things you put in your body. Not eating for 5 days and just drinking water allows you to flush every thing out of your body and give it a break from chemicals that you consume every day. The way it reboots your system is that when you slowly start reintroducing foods your system use those sources of carbohydrates and doesn't store them for later use. You don't need to fast in order to achieve this but it speeds it up. a mind over matter exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad