OT: Sens Lounge XCIX: Thicc Whip Edition

Who would win in a race - my Honda Element or Zorf's minivan?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Stylizer, I know you like to make your own decisions on things that science states, but I'm afraid everything you posted in this comment was scientifically invalid.

Not to mention your 5 day water fast is extremely dangerous and could cause harm to others. Anybody reading this, please get a medical opinion from a licensed doctor before attempting a 5 day water fast.
I'm not giving medical advise and nothing I wrote is invalid. I am writing based on my experiences. Nothing more.

I spoke with 2 doctors and each had opposite views. Not all doctors know everything. People have to do their own research and take their own precautions.

You don't have to understand my motivations or live with the results. You can find any reason to discredit someone else without having to live in their shoes.

Last edited:

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
I'm not giving medical advise and nothing I wrote is invalid. I am writing based on my experiences. Nothing more.

I spoke with 2 doctors and each had opposite views. Not all doctors know everything. People have to do their own research and take their own precautions.

You don't have to understand my motivations or live with the results. You can find any reason to discredit someone else without having to live in their shoes.
I've been dealing with an un-diagnosed condition for over 10 years now and my doctor just tells me "It's in your head". Either he doesn't give a shit about me or is just a plain asshole.

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
Doctors are know it alls and one of the worst crimes is their diet advice, they arent nutriononists, my gfs doctor told her mom to lose weight she has to keep the same diet but increase protein intake lol

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Hey everyone, I'm beginning an essay on the Oka crisis and looking to get some background. For anyone who was around and politically aware at the time, just curious what your general perception of the crisis was. Government over-militarized, indigenous overly radical? Historical accounts I've been reading paint an ugly look for the Canadian government, but after asking a couple parents/uncles about it, they seem to remember media coverage as painting the Indigenous with a radical brush, and victimizing the police and military. Any input at all is super appreciated!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Hey everyone, I'm beginning an essay on the Oka crisis and looking to get some background. For anyone who was around and politically aware at the time, just curious what your general perception of the crisis was. Government over-militarized, indigenous overly radical? Historical accounts I've been reading paint an ugly look for the Canadian government, but after asking a couple parents/uncles about it, they seem to remember media coverage as painting the Indigenous with a radical brush, and victimizing the police and military. Any input at all is super appreciated!

Not to sound patronizing but you should look up old newspaper articles. I did a university paper on Oka (back in 2004) and we had to go to the archives to get the newspaper articles from back then since those articles are too old to be on the web.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Not to sound patronizing but you should look up old newspaper articles. I did a university paper on Oka (back in 2004) and we had to go to the archives to get the newspaper articles from back then since those articles are too old to be on the web.
Ya I've been doing plenty of that, definitely not my first essay. Just curious to hear what people's recollection of the events were.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Probably say something like "dime a dart."

Nope.

waneek-oka-stabbing.jpg

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I've been dealing with an un-diagnosed condition for over 10 years now and my doctor just tells me "It's in your head". Either he doesn't give a **** about me or is just a plain *******.

Time to get a new doctor, or at least get a second opinion.

When i was a teenager I told my doctor that I thought I had an anxiety problem, and he chuckled and told me to leave the diagnosis to him. Then i discovered that drinking "helps"

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I asked my doctor to help me out because I thought I was allergic to alcohol....I told him everytime I drank 16 beers I would throw up. He said, yep. Your allergic to yeast.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Lets apply this logic to all our organs. Lets give our lungs the first week of November as a vacation. Then the second week we let our heart have some time off!

I'm sure we'll be much healthier if we do that!

That's not what I said, at all. There's a big difference between eliminating toxins from your body for a short time, and oxygen. Pretty sure the human body isn't going to roll over and die if you don't eat junk for a week.

By your logic, we should strap someone on a treadmill and set it at full speed for a few weeks...cause, you know, the heart is designed to work 24/7.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Not dieing is a pretty low bar to clear. Just because you can survive for a prolonged time without food doesn't mean it is healthy to do.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The heart did evolve to work 24/7, when it doesn't it's called cardiac arrest and you may die.

You missed the part where i mentioned strapping the person to a treadmill and making them run for a week straight. The heart is designed to work 24/7...but any organ that is overworked is going to fail badly.

Now, I'm not suggesting that fasting for a week is a great thing, but there is something to be said for reducing calories (and junky food/toxins) for a few days to give your system a little break isn't a bad thing.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
You missed the part where i mentioned strapping the person to a treadmill and making them run for a week straight. The heart is designed to work 24/7...but any organ that is overworked is going to fail badly.

Now, I'm not suggesting that fasting for a week is a great thing, but there is something to be said for reducing calories (and junky food/toxins) for a few days to give your system a little break isn't a bad thing.
This is the idea.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
after 72 hours your body literally starts consuming it's muscle for energy. Maybe the toxins are in our muscle?!

I'm wondering where you learned this. From what I remember from physiology (and I got an A, as if that validates me at all. Just wanted to brag. I studied really hard, okay!?), assuming a healthy endocrine (hormone) system, most people will begin to use the amino acids in their muscles for when the glycogen stores in your liver initially run out. For the typical person, this is after about a day of fasting. A day or two (a total of 48-72h of fasting), your body will begin to reserve the amino acids it has been taking from your muscle tissue and go into a state of ketosis in which fat becomes your primary source of glucogeneogenesis (creating glucose from non-carbohydrate sources). You can also go into ketosis by cutting out or severely limiting carbohydrate intake. If you are not fasting and just limiting carbohydrates, the time it takes to go into ketosis will likely be longer, as your glycogen stores will likely be depleted at a slower rate. Although you will likely still end up losing muscle mass with prolonged fasting, I just wanted to find out where you got your time frame from.

Reactions: Stylizer1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->