OT: Sens Lounge -The Spring before the Summer Begins Again

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I’m looking at getting a new electric guitar in the not-too-distant future. Likely something mid-range, with some nice grit to it. Any musicians in here who can offer a recommendation or two?
Metro Music in the Glebe has an awesome owner who's an absolute beast. She made my shitty $100 acoustic from 2006 sound modern af when i took it to her. If you want to shop in person, I'd suggest going there!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Metro Music in the Glebe has an awesome owner who's an absolute beast. She made my shitty $100 acoustic from 2006 sound modern af when i took it to her. If you want to shop in person, I'd suggest going there!
I used to go to the Folklore center, they were great but I just found out they closed almost 10 years ago...

Other things to consider, Long and McQuade has a great return policy,

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Holy crap, the used market for guitars really has gone bonkers since Covid... out of curiosity, I just took a look at what one of mine is going for these days, I bought it for 650 (USD) in 2017, and they're now going for 3k (Canadian)...

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Caddillac CTS-V Blackwing wagon gives it a run for its money but yeah +1 for shooting brakes. I am converting my STi hatchback track car to a 2 door partially to give it more of that shooting brake stying, BMW M coupe(ish) inspired (also doing it for function but the look will be quite something).

Oh man good call.

I LOVE those Blackwings. I looked at a CT4-V back when my S4 lease was up. It was not a practical car for my needs but damn did it look nice in that electric blue. Just incredibly well designed vehicles.

You'll have to share pictures of the STi!

P.S. On the topic of cars, I was just in California and rented a newer Lincoln Navigator. That thing was awesome. Bigger than what I'd want for a daily driver, but extremely comfy and luxurious and surprisingly fun to drive.

Reactions: Ralph Malfredsson

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Fender has a Squier series that are drastically cheaper than the real thing and not much worse off for quality. A stratocaster is so versatile and can hit all sorts of tones.
Great to know! My bass is a Fender and it’s done nothing but serve me well. I’ll look into these.
What style of music are you into (Rock, Metal, Blues, Jazz, ect)? What's the budget?

You can find a wide variety of really good value to quality options on the budget side with companies like Firefly

If the badge matters to you, Squire makes some good mid level stuff, there's also the players series by Fender starting at about 1k. G&L and Schecter offer some great value instruments as well.

As for grit, it kind of depends what you mean. Some people think of telecasters as being gritty, the bridge pickup gets a "gritty" tone compared to a Strat which some find more shrill. Some might think of a guitar with p90s, or a les paul style guitar.

Do want a trem system? They can be fun, but if you're never going to use is, a hardtail has some advantages with tuning stability, and you don't go out of pitch when bending. If you do want a trem, are you looking for something you can dive bomb on (like a floyd rose) or something more modest like a bigsby setup?

Strats and Teles are pretty versatile, you can play most styles of music with them and have no problems, but if you like heavy distortion, something noise cancelling pickups might be a better choice (you can get noise cancelling single coils, or a humbucker on a tele or Strat too).
I think the noise-cancelling pickups will be a priority, yeah. Rock and alt, mostly, but I dabble in a little blues and a little metal. So the versatility of a strat is speaking to me, though I’ve also been keeping an eye on the Hagstrom Viking – one of my favourite guitarists uses it and gets a pretty sweet tone out of it. Not a brand snob by any stretch, budget’s probably in the $1,200 or less range. Trem could be fun to play with but not a must.

Mostly looking to upgrade my old Epiphone Les Paul that I’ve had since I started playing more than a decade ago. Time for a new toy.
Love supporting small and local! Will check ‘em out, thanks.
I used to go to the Folklore center, they were great but I just found out they closed almost 10 years ago...

OFC ruled. Sad day when they closed shop. L&M’s my go-to for most things music, but last time I was in for some repairs left me a little soured on ‘em. Staff felt almost dismissive. Could’ve been a one-off bad day, far more positive interactions than negative there… but not the automatic decision it once was here.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Great to know! My bass is a Fender and it’s done nothing but serve me well. I’ll look into these.

I think the noise-cancelling pickups will be a priority, yeah. Rock and alt, mostly, but I dabble in a little blues and a little metal. So the versatility of a strat is speaking to me, though I’ve also been keeping an eye on the Hagstrom Viking – one of my favourite guitarists uses it and gets a pretty sweet tone out of it. Not a brand snob by any stretch, budget’s probably in the $1,200 or less range. Trem could be fun to play with but not a must.

Mostly looking to upgrade my old Epiphone Les Paul that I’ve had since I started playing more than a decade ago. Time for a new toy.

Love supporting small and local! Will check ‘em out, thanks.

OFC ruled. Sad day when they closed shop. L&M’s my go-to for most things music, but last time I was in for some repairs left me a little soured on ‘em. Staff felt almost dismissive. Could’ve been a one-off bad day, far more positive interactions than negative there… but not the automatic decision it once was here.
$1200 should get you something really nice, lots of great options come in under that budget.

Don't sleep on G&L if you're thinking Strat style, they tend to be a little less expensive than a comparable fender but can be every bit as good.

My most recent pickup was a Nashville style Telecaster, it's as versatile as any Strat imo, but is hard tail. I had actually ordered a Schechter tele, but a couple days after placing the order they contacted me to say they were out of stock and it would be months before theyd have one again.

That Hagstrom looks pretty sweet, never played one myself.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018

If willing to risk shipping, musicians friend has some good deals usually

$1200 should get you something really nice, lots of great options come in under that budget.

Don't sleep on G&L if you're thinking Strat style, they tend to be a little less expensive than a comparable fender but can be every bit as good.

My most recent pickup was a Nashville style Telecaster, it's as versatile as any Strat imo, but is hard tail. I had actually ordered a Schechter tele, but a couple days after placing the order they contacted me to say they were out of stock and it would be months before theyd have one again.

That Hagstrom looks pretty sweet, never played one myself.
Picked up an Ibanez artcore years ago that is my daily driver... If you can live with a semi hollow body (I. E. Not rocking a thrash metal pedal) they are a dream to play

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If willing to risk shipping, musicians friend has some good deals usually

Picked up an Ibanez artcore years ago that is my daily driver... If you can live with a semi hollow body (I. E. Not rocking a thrash metal pedal) they are a dream to play
Lots of online retailers with good pricing, I'm always a bit hesitant to buy something without playing first though, but I have done it before

Hey, I have an artcore too, mine's a full hollow body with the licenced bigsby, I don't play that one as much as I should. They are great though.

• Love
Reactions: Relapsing

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I am always amazed at how guitar players can feel and hear differences and end up having a dozen guitars! I get it , I suppose as I am a piano guy and can feel the difference and action from piano to piano. I have a 30 year old Yamaha Pacifica...wonder what that must be worth lol. I think I paid 400 bucks for it back then which indexed to today is aroud $43,269.75...

Reactions: Relapsing

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Lots of online retailers with good pricing, I'm always a bit hesitant to buy something without playing first though, but I have done it before

Hey, I have an artcore too, mine's a full hollow body with the licenced bigsby, I don't play that one as much as I should. They are great though.
I went cheap and did not get the Bigsby... A definite mistake! The art cores are beauties though. Classic lines, and nice details.

A buddy of mine moved overseas for a few years and left his US strat with me... What a treat!

One of these days I'll get around to making some of my own (I'm a woodworker). If I'm feeling ambitious, I'll see if Linda manzer wants to show me some ropes for making an acoustic... Can't afford her guitars, they're so f***ing expensive it hurts my brain.

I am always amazed at how guitar players can feel and hear differences and end up having a dozen guitars! I get it , I suppose as I am a piano guy and can feel the difference and action from piano to piano. I have a 30 year old Yamaha Pacifica...wonder what that must be worth lol. I think I paid 400 bucks for it back then which indexed to today is aroud $43,269.75...
I am currently sitting on:

Ibanez artcore
Washburn maverick series
A loaned strat
Norman acoustic solid top
A shitty little applause acoustic I'm modifying
2 banjoes
And a tiny little keyboard I'm teaching myself to play.

I'm running out of space.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I am currently sitting on:

Ibanez artcore
Washburn maverick series
A loaned strat
Norman acoustic solid top
A shitty little applause acoustic I'm modifying
2 banjoes
And a tiny little keyboard I'm teaching myself to play.

I'm running out of space.
I hear you, GAS is a really problem...

I've got the Artcore,
A parker nitefly
American Nashville tele
Ibenez JEM (88 root beer)
A BC Rich accoustic
A Yamaha classical
A banjo
A dulcimer

I also dove into building effects pedals as a lockdown hobby so I've got about 20 homemade pedals,

All that and all I really do is noodle around these days, lol.... But got to do something with my spare time

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
My dealer lent me this today. The new Cadillac Lyric, full EV. Interesting, fun acceleration the first few times then a boring as hell car. For 100k, I want my combustion engines. My wife hated it…she is used to nice loud gas polluting pig.

Attachments

• IMG_4693.jpeg
    IMG_4693.jpeg
    256.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4695.jpeg
    IMG_4695.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 1

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018

I've got the Artcore,
A parker nitefly
American Nashville tele
A BC Rich accoustic
A Yamaha classical
A banjo
A dulcimer

I also dove into building effects pedals as a lockdown hobby so I've got about 20 homemade pedals,

All that and all I really do is noodle around these days, lol.... But got to do something with my spare time
Dope collection! And I totally forgot about the dulcimer I have sitting around and have never played.

Building pedals sounds like a blast! Do you buy the housings, or make tour own? I have a small collection but it works... Best pedal I ever bought was the boss tuner - so handy. I also need a new Amp... Probably a vox ac30... It's been on the list for a while.

Yeah, my gig days are probably behind me too, so it's all for myself and friends. I'm doing some at home recording to play against as well - thanks gramps for the pair of sm58s!

May end up teaching a class this year on building cajons. Maybe I can use one as a side table...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Dope collection! And I totally forgot about the dulcimer I have sitting around and have never played.
I never play mine either....
Building pedals sounds like a blast! Do you buy the housings, or make tour own? I have a small collection but it works... Best pedal I ever bought was the boss tuner - so handy. I also need a new Amp... Probably a vox ac30... It's been on the list for a while.
So, I buy aluminum enclosures, but play around a lot with the artwork, mostly done with waterslide decals that I print, but I also did one by etching out a design, here's my smaller pedal board that lives under the couch in the livingroom
17135670008783792074315103175573.jpg

Yeah, my gig days are probably behind me too, so it's all for myself and friends. I'm doing some at home recording to play against as well - thanks gramps for the pair of sm58s!

May end up teaching a class this year on building cajons. Maybe I can use one as a side table...
I tried messing around with recording stuff but never got into it.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

I've got the Artcore,
A parker nitefly
American Nashville tele
A BC Rich accoustic
A Yamaha classical
A banjo
A dulcimer

Nice collection!

Not your style maybe, but a good read for the guitar lover

Reactions: Ralph Malfredsson

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
I never play mine either....

So, I buy aluminum enclosures, but play around a lot with the artwork, mostly done with waterslide decals that I print, but I also did one by etching out a design, here's my smaller pedal board that lives under the couch in the livingroomView attachment 855461

I tried messing around with recording stuff but never got into it.
Yeah I have never once said to myself "this track really needs some dulcimer on it".

Those are cool as f***... I deeply appreciate the Muppets theme you have going on. Are you buying pre-wired circuit boards or making your own?

I know a guy that runs a laser cutter, and he's recently started using it to etch off powder coating on stuff like water bottles. Let me know if you are ever interested in trying something like that out.

I learned recording years ago (mostly midi interface stuff), forgot a bunch, and now I'm learning with a daw setup on my computer. Pretty low cost of entry, all things considered. I think I got the interface for like $60 on Amazon. Felt pretty cool using a stage mic on zoom calls when I was an office peon, at least.

My hands are almost always cut up a bit or sore from shop work these days, so switching to the keyboard has been nice, even if my technique is highly suspect. Mostly synth stuff, but it's another tool in the toolbox.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah I have never once said to myself "this track really needs some dulcimer on it".

Those are cool as f***... I deeply appreciate the Muppets theme you have going on. Are you buying pre-wired circuit boards or making your own?

I know a guy that runs a laser cutter, and he's recently started using it to etch off powder coating on stuff like water bottles. Let me know if you are ever interested in trying something like that out.

I learned recording years ago (mostly midi interface stuff), forgot a bunch, and now I'm learning with a daw setup on my computer. Pretty low cost of entry, all things considered. I think I got the interface for like $60 on Amazon. Felt pretty cool using a stage mic on zoom calls when I was an office peon, at least.

My hands are almost always cut up a bit or sore from shop work these days, so switching to the keyboard has been nice, even if my technique is highly suspect. Mostly synth stuff, but it's another tool in the toolbox.
So, I have bought some PCBs and sourced all the components to solder in place for some, mostly the more complicated ones, but I've also built some using project board where it's basically point to point wiring. It's a lot easier to modify the circuit in the latter case which can be fun, but much harder to keep things tidy looking.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
So, I have bought some PCBs and sourced all the components to solder in place for some, mostly the more complicated ones, but I've also built some using project board where it's basically point to point wiring. It's a lot easier to modify the circuit in the latter case which can be fun, but much harder to keep things tidy looking.
Very cool. I may have to give this a try at some point - I think the old man still has a soldering iron somewhere

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

I've got the Artcore,
A parker nitefly
American Nashville tele
A BC Rich accoustic
A Yamaha classical
A banjo
A dulcimer

I built a stage for my instruments. Drum kit, two electric guitars,Yamaha full keyboard (heavy for gigs but need all 88 keys) two amps, 4 mics, a mixing board and two 12 inch monitors...and stage lights of course!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad