OT: Sens Lounge -The Spring before the Summer Begins Again

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I know we have a few watch people on these boards based on some past GDT discussions.

Was fortunate enough to pick up a Tonda PF Micro Rotor this weekend. Parmigiani Fleurier is a cool independent watchmaker backed by some big time pharma money and their new design language is really something.

Hoping to make one other purchase this year. Likely a JLC Reverso.

View attachment 808005View attachment 808006
I admittedly do not understand the appeal of watches that cost 20k+ but those are nice looking watches...

Reactions: Cosmix

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
WOW.

Tha's a pricey one. What were you able to get it for? It is beautiful and what craftsmanship

You'll find that ADs are willing to give heathy discounts on this brand, as they are with any brand that isn't Rolex, Patek, Audemars and (for a few models) Vacheron.

I did some digging and was able to get an AD to "match" another one for an ~25% discount on a new watch. There are even deeper discounts (30-40%) on lightly used models.

The dial with as much negative space as it has is somewhat divisive but I love the subtlety. Michel Parmigiani is one of the great living watchmakers and you can actually buy a piece of him (unlike say Journe).

I am incredibly excited about it.

I admittedly do not understand the appeal of watches that cost 20k+ but those are nice looking watches...

Everyone has their vices and guilty pleasures. For some it is cars. For others sneakers and clothing. Just something that brings me joy.

Reactions: coladin

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Everyone has their vices and guilty pleasures. For some it is cars. For others sneakers and clothing. Just something that brings me joy.

Oh, I'm not trying to be critical, spend your money however you like, and I do understand that these things tend to retain their value fairly well, in the end it's jewelry disguised as something somewhat functional, it just never clicked for me in that way... probably doesn't help that I have never really liked wearing watches in the first place, I did it out of necessity before the days of always having a phone in my pocket,

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Oh, I'm not trying to be critical, spend your money however you like, and I do understand that these things tend to retain their value fairly well, in the end it's jewelry disguised as something somewhat functional, it just never clicked for me in that way... probably doesn't help that I have never really liked wearing watches in the first place, I did it out of necessity before the days of always having a phone in my pocket,

Eh they don't retain value that well outside of Rolex sport models and honestly it's a new development since Covid. In 2018 you could walk into a jewelry store and buy a Submariner for discounted MSRP. These days a used one goes for $5,000 over suggested retail.

Better off investing in the S&P (or Bitcoin :)) than watches. Sure if you buy a Patek Nautilus or an Audemars Royal Oak you might make money but those are pieces that make millionaires blush these days.

I typically expect 30% depreciation on a new watch once I walk out of the dealer. Much like a new car. Luckily dealers understand this and there is a healthy appetite for discounting and negotiation on the large majority of brands, even the "high horologie" ones on which people are spending $50,000+.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
You'll find that ADs are willing to give heathy discounts on this brand, as they are with any brand that isn't Rolex, Patek, Audemars and (for a few models) Vacheron.

I did some digging and was able to get an AD to "match" another one for an ~25% discount on a new watch. There are even deeper discounts (30-40%) on lightly used models.

The dial with as much negative space as it has is somewhat divisive but I love the subtlety. Michel Parmigiani is one of the great living watchmakers and you can actually buy a piece of him (unlike say Journe).

I am incredibly excited about it.

I picked up Tag Heuer Monaco Dark Lord this summer, as I have been looking for a black watch, and this does the trick! I was in Italy, so I was thinking of a Panerai, but it just doesn't look good on my wrist, even though i love looking at it

Reactions: Mingus Dew

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I picked up Tag Heuer Monaco Dark Lord this summer, as I have been looking for a black watch, and this does the trick! I was in Italy, so I was thinking of a Panerai, but it just doesn't look good on my wrist, even though i love looking at it

That is a wonderful watch. There is nothing like the Monaco out there. So distinctive and a rich heritage. Wear it in good health!

Previous to this PF my daily driver was a Luminor Marina 44. Panerai are really fun watches and I will still get a lot of use out of it, but it is ungodly big haha. Makes this 40mm look puny.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Todays announcement had people panicking today.

Sorry that your bonuses will only allow you to get a Land Rover and not a Range Rover.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I know it's a crazy thought but maybe focus on jumpstarting home building and multifamily development as opposed to these ass backwards attempts to decrease rents?

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
All it's going to do is lead to the creation of 2-yr programs for these students. Universities and colleges aren't going to give up the goldmine so easily.
They are capping visas for the next two years and put in place ways to stop these private "schools" from taking advantage of international students.

It makes me laugh because we have known for years that something like this was going to happen and the taps were going to get turned down. They need to bolster domestic enrolment but they only cared about increasing international admissions because it is so easy and makes them more money. Hit those targets and make those bonuses.

Reactions: maclean and DrEasy

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
They are capping visas for the next two years and put in place ways to stop these private "schools" from taking advantage of international students.

It makes me laugh because we have known for years that something like this was going to happen and the taps were going to get turned down. They need to bolster domestic enrolment but they only cared about increasing international admissions because it is so easy and makes them more money. Hit those targets and make those bonuses.
I don't know how much more they can do on the domestic enrolment front. Basically, anybody with a pulse is now getting admitted into university or college.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Federal government will have to step in an pay the remaining portion for tuition.
I know $1800 a semester is nothing compared to $9700 a semester, but for people that want to go back to school and stop working minimum wage jobs, $1800 is a lot.

I can also see the Feds eliminating the federal portion of student debt. Heck, that might even be the Liberal play to stay in power. Make it their election promise.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
At the same time, you don't need to push for everyone to go to college or university. A lot of trades and construction are desperate for workers. There needs to be viable alternatives for Canadians and ways to make the "bad' jobs more palatable for people to do.

Reactions: DrEasy

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
At the same time, you don't need to push for everyone to go to college or university. A lot of trades and construction are desperate for workers. There needs to be viable alternatives for Canadians and ways to make the "bad' jobs more palatable for people to do.

There's alot of incentive for people to join the trades, I was surprised at all the shit my new apprentice was listing off.

Basically a 1000 dollar sign up bonus, another 1000 when you complete school and 2000 upon red seal completion. Free tools and free training included. 80k + within four years with no student debt too. People just aren't interested in that lifestyle it seems. I know ill sound like a "nobody wants ta work!" boomer but... its kinda true.

We're starting to import workers from Mexico and further south -- first time in a decade I've seen it en masse.

Reactions: DrEasy

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Spratt rink is open. Went yesterday, shoveled more than skated, but it was okay.

The walk there, stick and skates on my shoulder, the park, the lights. The falling snow. 30-50 kids..

Norman Rockwell!!!

Ahh Canadiana.

Thank you Mark V and all the volunteers in RSS.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
There's alot of incentive for people to join the trades, I was surprised at all the shit my new apprentice was listing off.

Basically a 1000 dollar sign up bonus, another 1000 when you complete school and 2000 upon red seal completion. Free tools and free training included. 80k + within four years with no student debt too. People just aren't interested in that lifestyle it seems. I know ill sound like a "nobody wants ta work!" boomer but... its kinda true.

We're starting to import workers from Mexico and further south -- first time in a decade I've seen it en masse.

It really is wild. I mean, how many IT people and consultants does a country need? And they wonder why so many jobs aren't paying much, when there's way too much supply of those types of workers.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
It really is wild. I mean, how many IT people and consultants does a country need? And they wonder why so many jobs aren't paying much, when there's way too much supply of those types of workers.
MAC,

we debated this at length last June.. Then again in November.

As with the Sens.. they need 165 M a year to operate.. So come Hell or high WATER, 19,000 asses must be in seats and 100,000 pairs of eyeballs must be on TV, Laptops, phones, etc. So, spin and defending and marketing kick in.... dissent, hesitation, etc. cannot be tolerated or the team loses serious coin

well, a politician not in office is: Un-employed and irrelevant.. So job one.. get elected..and stay elected

So when in the late 1990, they went nuts and started expanding universities and hiring people, left , right and center.. what do you do now.. How do you satisfy multi-billion dollar "educational complex".

you pump people through it..who cares about what happens afterwards. And then you spin. you keep the lie going.. you go from cover-up to cover-up. from one band aide solution to another.

Now, we have 2-3 phenomena's operating at once.
1) an education complex that needs constant feeding
2) a low birth rate, so you need outsiders
3) outsiders pay higher rates
4) a flooded system, and a lack of jobs
5) flooding in education a drought in the trades and manual labour..
6) import labour
7) foreign student liking it here, stay.. and find schemes to stay... hello asylum claims, hellos marriage.. hello immigration thanks to family unification laws. And further flooding that sector

We discuss this at length.. and then walk into a voting booth and are not careful with where we put the X..

we bitch about the Sens, then 19,000 are at their next home game. what do you expect to change?

Wake us up, when 1,000,000 people aren't giddy over a guy's name having Sen in it.. Hello Tarasenko.. They spent all summer long spinning this idiotic thing..guess what? it worked.

Mushrooms dude.. mushrooms.

Move on.. Let's discuss chicks and cars.. or better yet, Mingus Dew watch collection.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

me too, had a friend (now passed) who had a glass display case, filled with high end watches, mounted on winders, to keep them running… never wore them, just collected them.

1706024441838.gif

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Spratt rink is open. Went yesterday, shoveled more than skated, but it was okay.

The walk there, stick and skates on my shoulder, the park, the lights. The falling snow. 30-50 kids..

Norman Rockwell!!!

Ahh Canadiana.

Thank you Mark V and all the volunteers in RSS.
I think they close the rink too early there

That is a wonderful watch. There is nothing like the Monaco out there. So distinctive and a rich heritage. Wear it in good health!

Previous to this PF my daily driver was a Luminor Marina 44. Panerai are really fun watches and I will still get a lot of use out of it, but it is ungodly big haha. Makes this 40mm look puny.
My wrist can't pull of anything big like that, too puny, which is my the Submariner looks perfect on me...and the Moncao. I have an everyday TAG that I wear that i think is 42, the Indy F1 watch, and it is a little on the big side, but feels good. That TAG is 10 years old, and has been in every river, lake , pool , ocean etc...with full complete confidence

Reactions: Mingus Dew

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
I can't even afford to look at a $20k watch, let alone think of ever buying one. :laugh:
20 grand!!!! for a f***ing watch??????

$7.95 at Walmart.. and every once in a while, I splurge.. $14.95.

60 year old eyes, so changing those damn batteries is a pain. My Dad left me a watch from the early 1900, the old pocket watch with the wind-up dial.. It is fantastic. Probably cost a fortune in its day.

20 K huh...

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I still wear a watch even though I have an iPhone. Old habits never die!

PS: Quoting John Candy in Planes Trains and Automobiles "it's a Casio!"

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
My wrist can't pull of anything big like that, too puny, which is my the Submariner looks perfect on me...and the Moncao. I have an everyday TAG that I wear that i think is 42, the Indy F1 watch, and it is a little on the big side, but feels good. That TAG is 10 years old, and has been in every river, lake , pool , ocean etc...with full complete confidence

Submariner fits like a dream on most normal sized wrists. One of the reasons it's so popular. Just a really well-constructed and well-designed watch all around. A bit of a shame that they've become so exclusive.

My first "nice" watch was a quartz TAG Aquaracer. I don't get to wear it much anymore but it will always have a special place in my heart. Love the Monaco. It pulls off the square dial better than any other watch IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad