OT: Sens Lounge LXXXXI - Lying is bad, mmkay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
From my understanding it is extremely difficult to find a spot were both sides of the water agree for one to be built....kind of funny when you think about it I would imagine years ago people would be beyond excited to create such a bridge and some would feel proud to live right near it....today we seem to want zero advancement especially if it effects anyone even in the slightest!

I agree though we need a few more bridges.....personally would love to see one both in the east and west ends before you get to the downtown area.

NIMBYism at its finest

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
It sounds like notary is a solid option. I'd even stick with the harder class, too. If you know you're pretty much a lock to get in, it's a great option to keep in your back pocket (which is good to have when you're stressed...knowing there is another option).

Yeah, notaries are getting more and more responsibilities. Before, you were just getting a certificate to become a notary. Now, you get a Master's degree. Before, notaries were limited in what they can do (wills, mortgages, marriages,etc.). Now, a new civil code of procedure came out here in Quebec and they have more responsibilities.

I'm mostly stressed because I'm not sure if that's what I wanna do. Maybe it's those jitterbugs because I just have 3 classes left on my Bachelor's and I'm kinda second-guessing everything.

I have a cousin who was a lawyer (well, I have several, but this is about one in particular) for 10 years and got out because of stress. He works at city hall now, says it's the best decision he ever made, because he goes home at the same time most days and spends time with his family, which was never a guarantee as a lawyer.

One thing he always said though was that if you want to be a lawyer AND a family (or any free time, for that matter), you should go into IP law. It has the most regular business hours of any branch of law. least amount of stress, too.

Just food for thought, I guess.

Thanks Bonkie. Yeah, I heard IP law is pretty cool. Definitely one of the routes I'd think about going to if I do my bar and become a lawyer. I definitely like my free time... And one of the reasons I wanna be a notary is for the more flexible hours and to open my own office eventually (again, to be able to fully control my hours).

Also: welcome to the club on that hair loss thing. You get used to it. Just take it down to a quarter inch (or bic it), and you're good to go. Just make sure you buy a quality toque for the winters. :)

Haha, thanks man. For now, I'm rocking a comb-over that still looks good. My hair loss doesn't show too much, I'm hiding it pretty well I think because my hair is pretty thick... I'm mostly scared of losing even more, you know?

I heard about something called low light level laser therapy (basically red lasers that go all over your scalp and stimulate it to grow your hair), and I think I'm gonna try it soon. Who knows? We're in 2016 and there's so much technology out there compared to 10 or even 5 years ago. I heard good reviews about this maybe it can stabilize what I have and maybe some growth too. Here's hoping! I'm also the type of guy that would get a transplant eventually, I think. I wouldn't be able to be bald my whole life. And transplant procedures have come a long way, at least that's what I'm reading lol. I had a shaved head from age 15 to 20, and I liked it. But then I started growing my hair and I kinda didn't live that phase of having it enough haha.

Did you want to be a lawyer since you were young? Do you have any pressure to become one? Just don't feel like you have to do it if you don't think it is right for you. If you still think it is right than I would agree with the people saying notary. If you really don't know if law is the right career path than try and get a taste for a career. Are there any jobs you can do with your current degree that would give you some industry experience?

Yeah, ever since I was young I wanted. I remember in high school I was always thinking about that.

I have a bit of pressure because my dad is very strict about school and basically asks me about school every day... I've already gotten a belt beating (background update: I'm in a Greek family, just for reference lol) for bad grades back when I was younger. So there's pressure for sure, but now I'm more trying to be sure of what I'm getting myself into.

Right now, I'm a teller at TD Bank. I heard there's a position for notaries. Maybe if I become a notary and keep on working at the bank eventually I can move up? I don't know. Seems like a cool job.

I'm about to embark on my last year of law school, so I can sympathize with what you're going through (to some extent at least).

My advice is as follows, but obviously I'm not a practising attorney so take it with a huge grain of salt. I am also speaking from a corporate/full-service law firm perspective.

1. Lawyers in big markets (in Canada that means Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary and to a lesser extent Montreal) have poor work-life balance. You work a lot of hours and, more importantly, your schedule is extremely unpredictable.

2. Lawyers in big markets get paid a pretty great salary right out of school and have good job security, outside of the whole hire-back thing.

3. Only be a lawyer if you actually want that as yor career. Law is not really a transferable degree/job (in term of experience). This is also important for anyone considering law school: it is a terrible idea to become a lawyer because you can't think of something else to do with your life.

I think your situation is a bit different than mine because of the whole Quebec thing, but hopefully that helps. PM me if you want to talk more openly about some of this stuff.

Thanks man. Yeah, there's a bunchhh of lawyers in Quebec. Like, way too many.

I think what I would wanna do is become a notary, and practice some mediation on the side (I like that domain). Maybe I'm just so fed up with school I'm just not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, but I'm done my bachelor's in December and then I'll have 8 months off (from January to September following). So I'm guessing that's when I'll have a clear head to be completely sure of what I wanna do and won't be blocked by stupid insecurities and second-guesses.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Easier said that done but honestly, having second thoughts at the end of your bachelor's isn't unheard of; especially if you started university right after high school. Don't beat yourself up too much over it :)

From my experience, people would be best served (in general, not everyone) in taking at least a year off to grow before going to university.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I'm about to embark on my last year of law school, so I can sympathize with what you're going through (to some extent at least).

My advice is as follows, but obviously I'm not a practising attorney so take it with a huge grain of salt. I am also speaking from a corporate/full-service law firm perspective.

1. Lawyers in big markets (in Canada that means Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary and to a lesser extent Montreal) have poor work-life balance. You work a lot of hours and, more importantly, your schedule is extremely unpredictable.

2. Lawyers in big markets get paid a pretty great salary right out of school and have good job security, outside of the whole hire-back thing.

3. Only be a lawyer if you actually want that as yor career. Law is not really a transferable degree/job (in term of experience). This is also important for anyone considering law school: it is a terrible idea to become a lawyer because you can't think of something else to do with your life.

I think your situation is a bit different than mine because of the whole Quebec thing, but hopefully that helps. PM me if you want to talk more openly about some of this stuff.

3. I have to disagree with this, maybe you are not giving yourself and others enough credit for getting a law degree. The degree will show any prospective employer the abilities of the applicant to think inside/outside the box, analyze, prepare documents and have great writing skills.

I have been a paralegal for 20 years, and even though my scope of work has changed from disability claims to real estate, what I learned in my paralegal practice has served me well in many paths, even those you wouldn't think twice about. Like writing to a principal, or companies who piss you off and they provide you better service and apologies (money bases haha).

Funny thing is , I always wanted to be a lawyer but hated it when I went to uni. I switched to geography because I enjoyed it and through some luck ended up practicing cases as a lawyer, and did tremendously well at it.

I was always told from adolescent that I was a pain to argue with and that I should be a lawyer. I think there are certain traits one must have in order to go into law, for sure. I don't think it can be totally "taught", you have to have certain instincts .

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Easier said that done but honestly, having second thoughts at the end of your bachelor's isn't unheard of; especially if you started university right after high school. Don't beat yourself up too much over it :)

From my experience, people would be best served (in general, not everyone) in taking at least a year off to grow before going to university.

http://www.clickhole.com/blogpost/why-ive-decided-take-gap-year-joining-isis-4830

People might look at my desire to take a gap year as a sign I’m not fully dedicated to jihad. But it’s quite the contrary. I just want to be prepared to take on all of the things I’ll be learning. When I sit down to learn to field-strip my AK-47, I don’t want to be daydreaming of what it’d be like to walk along the White Cliffs of Dover. I want to know what it’s like firsthand.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012

I actually had an interesting university experience.

I always wanted to go to med school. But in my last year of high school I was getting sick of school already. So I chose to go into nursing (so I could get a job at the end of I wanted)

In my 3rd/4th year all I wanted to do was drop out. I hated nursing. So I took my MCATS to see what would happen and thought about teachers college as well. Nursing just wasn't for me (or so I thought). But I had school debt and no money for a new degree and didn't want add to my debt.

So I chose to work. I would suck it up and work for a year or two. Pay off my debt and do something else. 10 years later.... I'm still at that job. And I absolutely love it.

So sometimes schooling doesn't always give you a good indication of what the job is. And you can find great jobs in a field even if you didn't enjoy it during your schooling.

Just a different perspective. I would have never thought I'd still be nursing... but here I am.

So in retrospec I made an amazing decision as a 17 year old. Who would have known!

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
3. I have to disagree with this, maybe you are not giving yourself and others enough credit for getting a law degree. The degree will show any prospective employer the abilities of the applicant to think inside/outside the box, analyze, prepare documents and have great writing skills.

I have been a paralegal for 20 years, and even though my scope of work has changed from disability claims to real estate, what I learned in my paralegal practice has served me well in many paths, even those you wouldn't think twice about. Like writing to a principal, or companies who piss you off and they provide you better service and apologies (money bases haha).

Funny thing is , I always wanted to be a lawyer but hated it when I went to uni. I switched to geography because I enjoyed it and through some luck ended up practicing cases as a lawyer, and did tremendously well at it.

I was always told from adolescent that I was a pain to argue with and that I should be a lawyer. I think there are certain traits one must have in order to go into law, for sure. I don't think it can be totally "taught", you have to have certain instincts .

I work in the U.S., so that is colouring my opinion on this. I am also completing an MBA during law school, and I guess my comment was directed at people who hope to make some sort-of law-to-business jump.

Everything I have heard and seen suggests that going from law to say, investment banking, is extremely difficult (whereas the opposite happens all the time, assuming law school of course). I think most folks on the business side (i.e. clients) don't really take lawyers seriously from a business/finance perspective. And considering that so many lawyers are averse to math and Excel I don't really blame them.

Maybe I'm just a cynic. I've been in school my whole life and am about to finish up 8 years of post-secondary. I think I'm having a bit of an existential crisis about my future and it makes me a touch negative.

Regardless, I stand by my assertion that only people who really want to be lawyers should go to law school. It is already hard enough for new grads to find employment because of oversupply (this has reached like crisis levels south of the border). There's no need to roll the dice on huge amounts of time, stress and debt unless you are really into the profession.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

So much this. Kids have no clue what to do with their lives, and they're forced to study some super-specialized field right after high school. For one, high school doesn't teach them much, for two, it seems to me people seem to tend to mature later in life (hey, I count myself in the category of late bloomers).

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
High school really needs to teach money management! That's for sure!

Also new iPhone 7 announced today. No head phone jack included... which is interesting

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Sometimes I wonder about the metaphysical juxtaposition of watching The Food Network while running on a treadmill...

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So much this. Kids have no clue what to do with their lives, and they're forced to study some super-specialized field right after high school. For one, high school doesn't teach them much, for two, it seems to me people seem to tend to mature later in life (hey, I count myself in the category of late bloomers).

It's one of my biggest regrets in life: moving back to Canada the summer I finished high school and going into University right away.

That was a monumental mistake.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Anti-consumer is a bit over-the-top there.

Is Sony being anti-consumer by revealing a "more powerful" PS4 who's only real upside is to take "advantage" of 4K and HDR *cough*overpricedSonyTV*cough*?

No, of course not.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
What a cash grab. If you need to replace your earbuds you go to go with Apple ones :shakehead

Or you could, you know, just buy the $9 converter. All headphones will be wireless in the future, Apple is just starting the conversion. I happen to have a very good set of headphones with a 3.5 mm jack, I can't wear airpods or buds. I'll gladly spend $9 to use them for many more years regardless of the phone I have.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I've been in school my whole life and am about to finish up 8 years of post-secondary. I think I'm having a bit of an existential crisis about my future and it makes me a touch negative.

I'm not questioning you in any way, I'm just really curious about what is next for you after 8 years of post secondary schooling. I'm curious in that I wonder what career you are going to choose now. Will you be reporting to someone that has less schooling but now has far more work experience? I just find it an interesting dynamic.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Or you could, you know, just buy the $9 converter. All headphones will be wireless in the future, Apple is just starting the conversion. I happen to have a very good set of headphones with a 3.5 mm jack, I can't wear airpods or buds. I'll gladly spend $9 to use them for many more years regardless of the phone I have.

You do know there are things other than headphones that also use the headphone jack right?

Stuff like this.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
From my understanding it is extremely difficult to find a spot were both sides of the water agree for one to be built....kind of funny when you think about it I would imagine years ago people would be beyond excited to create such a bridge and some would feel proud to live right near it....today we seem to want zero advancement especially if it effects anyone even in the slightest!

I agree though we need a few more bridges.....personally would love to see one both in the east and west ends before you get to the downtown area.
Ottawa already has 5 bridges and all of them are either downtown or in the west.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad