OT: Sens Lounge LXXXVI | Poutine on the Ritz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Washington DC is kind of a weird place.

I was there last summer. Stayed at a decent townhouse I found on Air BnB. Within an hour of being there we saw cops in the alley way behind the house, both of them carrying huge rifles. There were a bunch of kids hanging around coming up to them and acting normal,me were weirded out by the scene. Cops waited for about 45 minutes until some guys came down the alley way and the cops raised their rifles, had the guys turn their backs with their hands up and walk backwards towards them to be cuffed.

Washington DC is a weird place.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Washington DC is kind of a weird place.

Well it's own citizens can't vote on DC issues so yeah, DC is a weird place. It would be like if the city of Ottawa had to have their budget passed through congress every year and you had no voting rights on any Ottawa related issues or programs.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Yeah I'd say this lounge hasn't been the most relaxing place these last few days.

Let's get some martinis goin' in here.

Ya I was gonna say. I have some catch up reading to do now. Follow my lead fellas, have a mimosa or 5.

mimosa-sunday-painting-parties.jpg

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
This. Seriously. My dad is voting 100% based on the abortion views of the conservatives. No other reason. He's a moron.

That kind of stuff drives me nuts, I get that abortion is a divisive issue, but **** its not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. Same with gay marriage in the states. Hell legalizing pot would have a bigger societal impact, and thats not exactly a massive issue either.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That kind of stuff drives me nuts, I get that abortion is a divisive issue, but **** its not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. Same with gay marriage in the states. Hell legalizing pot would have a bigger societal impact, and thats not exactly a massive issue either.

No kidding.

Making something like weed, abortion, or gay marriage illegal doesn't make those actions (or people) suddenly disappear. People are going to do all that stuff and love who they fall in love with no matter what.

So what's the point of spending so many resources and getting folks all angry at one another for something that will never change? Why intentionally polarize the population like that? What's the point?

Why not spend all that energy to make the country a better place for everyone? Put that money into better education, or better infrastructure (roads, better waste and pollution controls), or invest into creating jobs. Can you imagine what this country would look like today if all the money invested into the "war on drugs" went into education instead? We'd be so much better off as a nation.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
No kidding.

Making something like weed, abortion, or gay marriage illegal doesn't make those actions (or people) suddenly disappear. People are going to do all that stuff and love who they fall in love with no matter what.

So what's the point of spending so many resources and getting folks all angry at one another for something that will never change? Why intentionally polarize the population like that? What's the point?

Why not spend all that energy to make the country a better place for everyone? Put that money into better education, or better infrastructure (roads, better waste and pollution controls), or invest into creating jobs. Can you imagine what this country would look like today if all the money invested into the "war on drugs" went into education instead? We'd be so much better off as a nation.

George Carlin has some pretty awesome material about all this stuff. Here's a link, I'd post the video but its littered with f-bombs, being Carlin and all, so I think it goes against the website policy.

But i really think he hits the nail on the head in a lot of ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILQepXUhJ98

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
George Carlin has some pretty awesome material about all this stuff. Here's a link, I'd post the video but its littered with f-bombs, being Carlin and all, so I think it goes against the website policy.

:handclap:

Critical thinking is definitely a lost art. And I know why...people with wealth and power don't like being questioned.

It's such a shame. We could ALL be living in a freaking paradise right now. All of us. Every person. Every country. All over the Earth. We have the knowledge. We have the science. We have the hands available to get it done. But we don't have the power to do it....and those that do, don't want to share that control, or the benefits of that control, with anyone else.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

Carlin is/was brilliant. I think the premise we can take from this video is stop paying attention to the mainstream media and go with your gut.

Or for instance: Who owns Steven Harper

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Carlin was very funny but this tendency of bringing up his comedy acts to make a point is alarming

When he started to get more political/preachy near the end of his career, like in that clip, he falls flat on his face

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Carlin was very funny but this tendency of bringing up his comedy acts to make a point is alarming

When he started to get more political/preachy near the end of his career, like in that clip, he falls flat on his face

I couldn't disagree more. I think Carlin in his last HBO special, from which this is taken, is one of his strongest performances.

He could make valid points involving serious issues in a simple, hilarious way. Nobody today comes close to that, except for some bits Louis CK sneaks into his routine.

like this for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O5h4enjrHw
That right there is an absolutely brilliantly constructed bit.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I couldn't disagree more. I think Carlin in his last HBO special, from which this is taken, is one of his strongest performances.

He could make valid points involving serious issues in a simple, hilarious way. Nobody today comes close to that, except for some bits Louis CK sneaks into his routine.

like this for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O5h4enjrHw
That right there is an absolutely brilliantly constructed bit.

That Louis C.K. clip is hardly comparable to the one just posted where Carlin goes on a rant about how big business rules America

I did not mean to imply that Carlin was not funny at the end, just that he got much more preachy on political issues later on and when he went on those rants it was mostly awful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad