OT: Sens Lounge LXXXVI | Poutine on the Ritz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I'll add my 2 cents to say Poutine is awesome! When done right.

My vote for a real good poutine is Taters in Kanata, a little food truck off Eagleson near Bridlewood.

To me, the gravy is what makes a good poutine, most places use bad gravy which instantly ruins a poutine for me.

There are quite a few pretty good spots in Ottawa though, most of the established food trucks make a decent one.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Can confirm: lived in Vancouver for a couple of years, Vancouver poutine is awful.

... just like Vancouver Shawarma is awful, and Vancouver BBQ is awful, and Vancouver beef (in general, for some reason no one in Vancouver seems to know how to make a prime rib to save their lives) is awful.

Vancouver cuisine is all Asian and fusion. Which is great, don't get me wrong, the food they do well they do REALLY well, but trying to find good poutine from Vancouver is like trying to order a really good deep dish pizza from a gas station: It doesn't exist, so you're never going to find it.

Vancouver has great sushi, GREAT Dim Sum, really good Indian in North Van, and a few pockets of good cuisine elsewhere in the city, assuming you're not eating organic quinoa soy-loaf with a side of wheatgrass juice and an unsweetened grapefruit on the side. Otherwise, it's people pretending that Cactus Club is good food, and people having a strange & abusive obsession with White Spot.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Can confirm: lived in Vancouver for a couple of years, Vancouver poutine is awful.

... just like Vancouver Shawarma is awful, and Vancouver BBQ is awful, and Vancouver beef (in general, for some reason no one in Vancouver seems to know how to make a prime rib to save their lives) is awful.

Vancouver cuisine is all Asian and fusion. Which is great, don't get me wrong, the food they do well they do REALLY well, but trying to find good poutine from Vancouver is like trying to order a really good deep dish pizza from a gas station.

Vancouver has great sushi, GREAT Dim Sum, really good Indian in North Van, and a few pockets of good cuisine. Otherwise, it's people pretending that Cactus Club is good food, and people having a strange & abusive obsession with White Spot.

If there's one thing Ottawa lacks is good asian food! Trying to find a good Dim Sum place in Ottawa is horrible.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I've never had non-homemade poutine. Been like 5 or 6 years since I've had it. Not a food I care for or would choose to eat.

***Not saying its a gross or terrible food. I just don't eat junk food***

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
If there's one thing Ottawa lacks is good asian food! Trying to find a good Dim Sum place in Ottawa is horrible.

My favorite Dim Sum spot in Ottawa is Oriental Chu Shing Restaurant, it's on the 2nd floor of the 2-story building on Somerset across from the Yangtze. If you know your Chinatown, it's above Ben Ben Restaurant.

Chu Shing is actually good Dim Sum. Yangtze used to be REALLY good 10-12 years ago when I lived in Chinatown, but they've cheapened out so much over the last decade under new management that it's totally bland now. They cater more to white yuppies who have never tried real Chinese food before these days, whereas 15 years ago it was delicious.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I'll add my 2 cents to say Poutine is awesome! When done right.

My vote for a real good poutine is Taters in Kanata, a little food truck off Eagleson near Bridlewood.

To me, the gravy is what makes a good poutine, most places use bad gravy which instantly ruins a poutine for me.

There are quite a few pretty good spots in Ottawa though, most of the established food trucks make a decent one.

Taters is an awesome chip wagon. It's near my brother in laws place so we go there from time to time.

Wouldn't have expected a little chip wagon in kanata to be so good, but there it is. Try her deep fried pickles too.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Taters is an awesome chip wagon. It's near my brother in laws place so we go there from time to time.

Wouldn't have expected a little chip wagon in kanata to be so good, but there it is. Try her deep fried pickles too.

I've got a hankering for poutine today and will be in Kanata, where is this Taters exactly?

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

I wouldn't say that, there are some great vietnemese places scattered throughout the city. And Ottawa does have a certain americanized version of chinese food that isn't quite the same anywhere else.

Hung Mein on Baseline has some awesome deep fried stuff. Not exactly healthy, but sometimes we just need the grease.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I've got a hankering for poutine today and will be in Kanata, where is this Taters exactly?

Michael Cowpland drive.

If you're traveling south on Eagleson past the mall, Michael Cowpland drive is on the right, between the Ultramar and the Shoppers Drug Mart.

The chip wagon is on the edge of the Tim Hortons/Car Wash parking lot. It will be an almost immediate right when you turn off of Eagleson.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
My favorite Dim Sum spot in Ottawa is Oriental Chu Shing Restaurant, it's on the 2nd floor of the 2-story building on Somerset across from the Yangtze. If you know your Chinatown, it's above Ben Ben Restaurant.

Chu Shing is actually good Dim Sum. Yangtze used to be REALLY good 10-12 years ago when I lived in Chinatown, but they've cheapened out so much over the last decade under new management that it's totally bland now. They cater more to white yuppies who have never tried real Chinese food before these days, whereas 15 years ago it was delicious.

Oh yeah? I'll have to try that. I went to Yangtze a few years ago and it was crazy how bad it was, I felt like I was ordering the fake chinese takeout stuff (Which at the right times is great, just not when looking for authentic) LOL

I'm used to going to Markham with my wife's grandparents so it's hard finding a comparable here.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I wouldn't say that, there are some great vietnemese places scattered throughout the city. And Ottawa does have a certain americanized version of chinese food that isn't quite the same anywhere else.

Hung Mein on Baseline has some awesome deep fried stuff. Not exactly healthy, but sometimes we just need the grease.

Yeah I should specify it is mostly Dim Sum I was talking about, the Vietnamese are actually pretty well represented in Ottawa.

LOL.. Hung Mein, I used to live on Draper and would get that fairly often. The "american" chinese food is a plenty around here for sure, it's good for sure, but we sorely lack authentic.

Michael Cowpland drive.

If you're traveling south on Eagleson past the mall, Michael Cowpland drive is on the right, between the Ultramar and the Shoppers Drug Mart.

The chip wagon is on the edge of the Tim Hortons/Car Wash parking lot. It will be an almost immediate right when you turn off of Eagleson.

Oh man forgot about the pickles, yes definitely try the pickles!

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Oh yeah? I'll have to try that. I went to Yangtze a few years ago and it was crazy how bad it was, I felt like I was ordering the fake chinese takeout stuff (Which at the right times is great, just not when looking for authentic) LOL

I'm used to going to Markham with my wife's grandparents so it's hard finding a comparable here.

I don't want to over-sell it. It's not the best Dim Sum I've ever had, but it is the best I've had in Ottawa. It's above average. If you like congee, theirs is pretty good. Siomay is always good, but the Har Gau can be hit-or-miss. Sticky Rice is small but VERY flavorful (as opposed to the typical Ottawa trend of giving you a large serving of very bland sticky rice). Wu Gok is VERY greasy but good if you don't have too much of it (because grease). Cheong Fan is my wife's favorite, and she thinks it's very good there. Even the turnip cake is pretty good.

Like I said, not the best Dim Sum I've ever had, but considering your Ottawa alternatives, it's the best I've had here.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I don't want to over-sell it. It's not the best Dim Sum I've ever had, but it is the best I've had in Ottawa. It's above average. If you like congee, theirs is pretty good. Siomay is always good, but the Har Gau can be hit-or-miss. Sticky Rice is small but VERY flavorful (as opposed to the typical Ottawa trend of giving you a large serving of very bland sticky rice). Wu Gok is VERY greasy but good if you don't have too much of it (because grease). Cheong Fan is my wife's favorite, and she thinks it's very good there. Even the turnip cake is pretty good.

Like I said, not the best Dim Sum I've ever had, but considering your Ottawa alternatives, it's the best I've had here.

Yeah, I figure it won't as good as places in Toronto, but that's ok. Just looking for something close. There is a little place in Kanata that's actually not too bad also, but the prices are very high, so I don't like going to that one.

I'm going to try this place when on holidays in 2 weeks. Thanks for the tip!

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Michael Copeland Drive..... Hmmmmmm My friends and I used to sneak into his gold mansioned Estate in Rockliffe and swim in his pool in the middle of the nights sometimes when we were teenagers....

Vancouver, and Victoria especially, are quite dry during the spring, summer, and fall. Almost all of the annual rainfall comes in the winter. The interior is classified as desert and is extremely dry. Victoria is one of the, if not the, driest cities in the country between the months of April to November I believe.

We have massive forrest fires here every year, but the wind patterns are keeping all of the smoke hovering over us right now instead of blowing it over the mountains to all of the jerks to the East ;)

Yesterday, walking around was like you were wearing some 80's style orange tinted driving shades... Quite interesting...

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010
I've never had non-homemade poutine. Been like 5 or 6 years since I've had it. Not a food I care for or would choose to eat.

***Not saying its a gross or terrible food. I just don't eat junk food***

Would you like an empty glass?

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I did something to my shoulder. Had a funny follow through. It felt like it popped out and back in. Next drive same thing happened. Had to finish with just chipping and putting. Will have to try and get a physiotherapist to look at it.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007

Vancouver cuisine is all Asian and fusion. Which is great, don't get me wrong, the food they do well they do REALLY well, but trying to find good poutine from Vancouver is like trying to order a really good deep dish pizza from a gas station: It doesn't exist, so you're never going to find it.

Vancouver has great sushi, GREAT Dim Sum, really good Indian in North Van, and a few pockets of good cuisine elsewhere in the city, assuming you're not eating organic quinoa soy-loaf with a side of wheatgrass juice and an unsweetened grapefruit on the side. Otherwise, it's people pretending that Cactus Club is good food, and people having a strange & abusive obsession with White Spot.

Shwarma in Canada in general is way worse than it is abroad. When you're in Switzerland, you'll have the pleasure of having some REALLY good Middle Eastern food (namely Turkish, which is a bit different, I know).

You've gotten Vancouver's personality pretty much 100%, though. Asian food (Korean, Japanese, Thai, Mainland Chinese, Taiwanese, and N.American Chinese) is fabulous here. European food is in general AWFUL. I've never even been to a BBQ restaurant here, but there is a new Brazilian Steak House that is very highly spoken of. When I used to teach ESL most of my students would rave about it.

#1 most popular type of place in Vancouver (outside of maybe sushi) are places like Cactus Club, Browns, Earl's, ect.

Luckily, there's been a huge emergence of hispter hole-in-the-wall diners, restaurants, and pubs, and they are all awesome... and the beer :D

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Shwarma in Canada in general is way worse than it is abroad.

I agree, except for Ottawa. Ottawa has such a massive Shawarma hard-on, it has it's own style. I'm not saying it's better than European/ Middle Eastern Shawarma, it's just a different brand of delicious.

I've never even been to a BBQ restaurant here.

There is actually one AMAZING Southern BBQ place in Vancouver, I'm trying to remember what it was called... I think it was called Memphis Blues?

I'm pretty sure it was right near the corner of Broadway & Granville. Not exactly on the corner, but maybe a block in either direction. Best pulled pork sandwich I've ever had ever in the history of ever, it has ruined me for pulled pork for the rest of my life. They smoke everything in-house, it's all done with traditional southern recipes and nothing is done off-site. The guy that started it, apparently he goes to the Southern BBQ World Championships or some similar festival, and he's been perfecting his recipes for years.

This was like... 7 years ago? It might be bad now, especially if there are new owners. But 7 years ago, it was amazing.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
I agree, except for Ottawa. Ottawa has such a massive Shawarma hard-on, it has it's own style. I'm not saying it's better than European/ Middle Eastern Shawarma, it's just a different brand of delicious.

There is actually one AMAZING Southern BBQ place in Vancouver, I'm trying to remember what it was called... I think it was called Memphis Blues?

I'm pretty sure it was right near the corner of Broadway & Granville. Not exactly on the corner, but maybe a block in either direction. Best pulled pork sandwich I've ever had ever in the history of ever, it has ruined me for pulled pork for the rest of my life. They smoke everything in-house, it's all done with traditional southern recipes and nothing is done off-site. The guy that started it, apparently he goes to the Southern BBQ World Championships or some similar festival, and he's been perfecting his recipes for years.

This was like... 7 years ago? It might be bad now, especially if there are new owners. But 7 years ago, it was amazing.

Hmm, alright! I'm gonna go and try it ! I love pork. I think it's the most underrated meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad