OT: Sens Lounge LXXXV | Swede Dreams Are Made Of Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I've gotten like 5 in the last 2 weeks. Wtf is up with that? Can I just keep ignoring it or should I look into getting a vpn?
The only thing an ISP can do is give your information to a company that claims your IP is downloading its product illegally. So they can sue you. They can only sue for a max of 5k but it'll cost them more then that. Don't think anyone has been sued yet. Just a scare tactic. Use a vpn just incase.
Always download behind a vpn crew.

Yup. I do this. Love it.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
oh snap. If they can catch torrents then I gotta be more careful.

Did you read the emails? is it a bunch of different companies or just one repeatedly?

And what are you getting them for? Movies? Video Games? Music?

It's just rogers, they don't even tell me what I downloaded. I mostly just torrent movies and TV shows.

Although now that I think of it, I did download some .mp3 songs just off websites the last 10 days...I'll continue torrenting all week and then download another .mp3 the following week to test it out lol

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
The only thing an ISP can do is give your information to a company that claims your IP is downloading its product illegally. So they can sue you. They can only sue for a max of 5k but it'll cost them more then that. Don't think anyone has been sued yet. Just a scare tactic. Use a vpn just incase.

I remember my friend getting his service cancelled a few years ago but aside from that you're right, I've never heard of anyone getting sued, but I'd still rather be safe than sorry lol.

I'll look into VPNs but they usually cost around $5/month for at least decent ones don't they?

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I remember my friend getting his service cancelled a few years ago but aside from that you're right, I've never heard of anyone getting sued, but I'd still rather be safe than sorry lol.

I'll look into VPNs but they usually cost around $5/month for at least decent ones don't they?
PrivateInternetAccess. $40 USD for a year. I have it. Been good so far and I've only read good reviews it. Everything is kept anonymous and nothing is stored on their end.
Does this only apply to downloading? Or streaming as well?

Streaming is a grey area. I've never heard of it causes problems.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Urgh... ****ing computer wont get passed the "Windows starting" part and all I hear is a clicking sound in which I believe is my hard drive. Thought it was my video card at first.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Yeah clicking usually means hard drive problem.

I think you can put the drive in the freezer for a while to temporarily fix the issue, but I've never actually tried it. Either way, if you have any data, get it off of there if you can.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'll never understand why scalloped potatoes get so much love.

Because if made well, they're delicious.

So many people make half-assed scalloped potatoes though. They're possibly one of the top dishes that people THINK they know how to make, but then proceed to completely butcher.

Ttracer*

I'll never understand why scalloped potatoes get so much love.

I'll never understand why poutine gets so much love. Y'all must have iron stomachs, I can't eat anything fried without feeling like trash all day

Philoops

I am Potato
Jul 19, 2011
Canada
I've been seriously tempted to download some music illegally, I only did it once because the album I wanted was old and I couldn't find it anywhere to purchase. I always figured with my luck I'd get caught immediately and have to pay a massive fine. I've shared music illegally with friends and family though, but only a few times and I mean, it's the same as lending a cd to someone.
But man, I've suddenly really gotten into music (my last obsession was video games) and I'm just not enjoying it anymore.
I got insulted on that notorious message board in their music section by really pretentious people and I took it too seriously. Now I'm basically sitting here looking at my 100s of dollars worth of cds not wanting to listen to them, and not being able to enjoy the obscure stuff the pretentious people listen to (a lot of it just sounds like noise. I mean, I seriously don't feel like sitting and listening to the sound of air blowing while a few chords are played for 50 minutes, but different strokes for different folks I guess).

I'm just recently out of the psych ward as well, lol.
Life is interesting. I guess I'll just take a break from the music and try reading or something. I think part of it is just being burnt out from all the sounds I've consumed.
Man I need hockey to start again, and university... if I'm even going back. Need to keep my mind busy...

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I'll never understand why poutine gets so much love. Y'all must have iron stomachs, I can't eat anything fried without feeling like trash all day

Dude, poutine is the food of the gods. I have a ****** digestive system but that isn't stopping me from indulging in that delicious, heavenly stuff. I have more trouble digesting pasta actually.

Ttracer*

Dude, poutine is the food of the gods. I have a ****** digestive system but that isn't stopping me from indulging in that delicious, heavenly stuff. I have more trouble digesting pasta actually.

Eww poutine looks like dog vomit, its very bland too it doesn't have much flavour. Americans and westerners think we're idiots for eating that abomination. I'll take a cheap austerity ridden souvlaki with spanikopita and olives anyday.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Eww poutine looks like dog vomit, its very bland too it doesn't have much flavour. Americans and westerners think we're idiots for eating that abomination. I'll take a cheap austerity ridden souvlaki with spanikopita and olives anyday.

How the **** can you live being so negative about everything always? I don't think I've ever seen you post a single positive thing in your entire time on these boards. Smile, dude. Life is full of great things.

Ttracer*

How the **** can you live being so negative about everything always? I don't think I've ever seen you post a single positive thing in your entire time on these boards. Smile, dude. Life is full of great things.

Not negative I just don't like poutine, and swear on the shield to defend my beliefs.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
Living out west, I don't ever get to try really great poutine.. but I still think it's pretty yummy!

I don't think I could eat it very often, though. Sushi is my go to eat-out (that and a pub!)

Ttracer*

Living out west, I don't ever get to try really great poutine.. but I still think it's pretty yummy!

I don't think I could eat it very often, though. Sushi is my go to eat-out (that and a pub!)

Japanese food in and around Vancouver is amazing. It's fresher, and more cost effective than Ottawa. I used to eat sushi twice a week living in BC, now I need a sushi loving girl to pretend I like the stuff here.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
If you don't like poutine, it's because you haven't tasted the good stuff.

Otherwise your taste buds are all wonky. :P

I really feel like this might be the case for me. I'm not a fan of poutine really. I don't hate it, but it doesn't do it for me. However, I've only really had it in situations like late-night Smokes poutine with ridiculous and unnecessary toppings, or at less-than-great restaurants serving it.

I think I need some authentic stuff to really say yay or nay to poutine. In your opinion what's the best (generialized) place to get it? A Quebec food truck? A high-end poutine shop? A certain fast food chain? The Bob Guertin Arena?!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If you don't like poutine, it's because you haven't tasted the good stuff.

Otherwise your taste buds are all wonky. :P

Gotta agree with this.

There are many, many, many places that make poor quality poutine. You need to find a place that uses good potatoes (and knows how to cook fries....amazing how many places don't cook their fries well), uses high quality gravy (so many use cheap tinned gravy) and good cheese curds.

Definitely not an every day meal, though.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
I really feel like this might be the case for me. I'm not a fan of poutine really. I don't hate it, but it doesn't do it for me. However, I've only really had it in situations like late-night Smokes poutine with ridiculous and unnecessary toppings, or at less-than-great restaurants serving it.

I think I need some authentic stuff to really say yay or nay to poutine. In your opinion what's the best (generialized) place to get it? A Quebec food truck? A high-end poutine shop? A certain fast food chain? The Bob Guertin Arena?!

Fritomania in Orleans has one of the best Poutine in Ottawa IMO. It's a small shack and doesnt look like much, but man is it good.

Smokes has decent Poutine but I find their fries lack something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad