OT: Sens Lounge LXXXV | Swede Dreams Are Made Of Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
As long as you haven't defaulted on OSAP, it's still a possibility.
They don't care about your current debt, just that you're in good standing with them and that you have a 'need' for the loans (ie don't have too many assets, etc).

You may need to look at picking up a beater though if you want flexibility for job work in the meantime.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
I just need something consistent enough that I can have during school and still make ~1000$ a month, otherwise I cant get through school.

Army is an option, but if I go to the army I want to it be because it feels right, not because I'm broke and need to be able to take care of my parents.

Industrial area is too far from my house / campus as I don't have a car. It'd take me 50+ mins each way. I need to get good enough grades in my pre-reqs to get into the Nursing program, so I need some free time to study.

I wish I wasn't pressured into going to university with no idea what I'm good for in life when I was 17. Worst decision ever. Now I have a useless languages degree that'll only lend me to office work (which I hate SO much)_ and I still owe 7000$ to student loans, so no bank will even give me a loan for school anymore, especially after my dad got cancer and now my whole family is pretty worthless in the eyes of moneyed individuals.

Now I'm 24, no job, still not accepted into school officially (even though my grades are great. It's not 100%), and live with the folks, no car, single... Talk about a ton of fantastic attributes :laugh: at least I still have money from my last contract so I can at least pay for the pre-reqs classes.

Atleast you're a cool guy!

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
As long as you haven't defaulted on OSAP, it's still a possibility.
They don't care about your current debt, just that you're in good standing with them and that you have a 'need' for the loans (ie don't have too many assets, etc).

You may need to look at picking up a beater though if you want flexibility for job work in the meantime.

Ya, but I need a job to pay for it first haha. I'm gonna see if SEARS or HBC need some night stockers. I may be able to pick up shifts with my dad a bit, too (mechanic).

I'm pretty bad at paying my loans (since I can't afford them), but I don't think I have any debt outside of them

Atleast you're a cool guy!

Thanks man!

Anyone ever try busking ?

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I just need something consistent enough that I can have during school and still make ~1000$ a month, otherwise I cant get through school.

Army is an option, but if I go to the army I want to it be because it feels right, not because I'm broke and need to be able to take care of my parents.

Industrial area is too far from my house / campus as I don't have a car. It'd take me 50+ mins each way. I need to get good enough grades in my pre-reqs to get into the Nursing program, so I need some free time to study.

I wish I wasn't pressured into going to university with no idea what I'm good for in life when I was 17. Worst decision ever. Now I have a useless languages degree that'll only lend me to office work (which I hate SO much)_ and I still owe 7000$ to student loans, so no bank will even give me a loan for school anymore, especially after my dad got cancer and now my whole family is pretty worthless in the eyes of moneyed individuals.

Now I'm 24, no job, still not accepted into school officially (even though my grades are great. It's not 100%), and live with the folks, no car, single... Talk about a ton of fantastic attributes :laugh: at least I still have money from my last contract so I can at least pay for the pre-reqs classes.

Does the military offer training in non-gun stuff?

Look into government loans. Whatever its called in BC. OSAP is just Ontario right? Pretty sure they allow multiple loans. Doesn't heard to call and inquire.

Finland offers free college to anyone and is willing to pay a certain amount for rent. I think a few Euro countries are like this.

I'm 23 and have very similar attributes. I've never had a job in my life because of anxiety. College has helped me a ton with that though.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007

Look into government loans. Whatever its called in BC. OSAP is just Ontario right? Pretty sure they allow multiple loans. Doesn't heard to call and inquire.

Finland offers free college to anyone and is willing to pay a certain amount for rent. I think a few Euro countries are like this.

I'm 23 and have very similar attributes. I've never had a job in my life because of anxiety. College has helped me a ton with that though.

The way nursing works with the Armed Forces is this:

1) you apply at a university that offers a BSN (Bachelor of Science in Nursing) that does NOT have schooling in the summer months (only one place does this in Vancouver, but at least it's a good school!)

2) once you get accepted you go to recruitment and they offer you a contact pretty much on the spot.

3) you go to school normally, and they pay for everything and give you a small salary on top of the tuition.

4) in the summer you train 3-8 weeks wherever they feel like sending you (usually Edmonton, Manitoba, or New Brunswick)

5) when you graduate, for every 1 month of school they paid for you owe them 2 months of service. So, you owe about 4-5 years depending on the program.

6) I believe Nursing Officers are required to work a minimum of 3 months per year in a civilian hospital to keep them up to date and functional (Armed Forces nurses do mostly paper work)

However, after 10 years I believe you have 25% of you salary in pension should you retire, which would be nice

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
Unfortunately, you might need to apply that to pretty much any product or service. But yeah, internet and telecommunications is going to be a shock to the system. I echo the sentiments of those above me saying to avoid Rogers and Bell at all costs if possible. They will overcharge the crap out of you whenever they can and their customer service is terrible. The stability and capabilities of the internet will vary greatly depending on where you live.

For cellphone, I would suggest looking into something like Wind or Virgin. I personally haven't used them before but they're two companies I've heard positive things about concerning telecommunications. I have a feeling others in here would have a much better idea than I do though.

If you're in the suburbs or downtown, you should relatively be fine in terms of capabilities, you just might need to pay a bit more than you were expecting.

Where area of Ottawa do you have in mind?

EDIT: There is also a ton of good craft brew around Ottawa. Again, just probably more expensive than you would be used to in the US.

Not sure yet where in Ottawa. We are still looking at places. I am going to Carleton, but my parents want a more central location for their job. So def in central Ottawa, much less so suburbs.

Thanks for the Wind and Virgin suggestions, I will look into those.

If you go with Bell or Rogers for internet, you're not going to get a good deal. They are the two largest telecoms in Canada and don't really care.

The good news is that there are plenty of smaller companies who will give you a much better deal. I've personally had a good experience with TekSavvy. They have always been forthright with me, even when it comes to price increases (which they compensated by giving me 100 extra gb's per month).

Awesome, thank you for the reply as well.

I am not positive how it is in Ontario, but here in BC there is a ridiculous amount of microbreweries with tons of delicious beer. I'm sure a lot of it gets sent out east (I hope, because it's fantastic).

The selection stores are wonderful... but I agree, much pricier than down South

Yep, I heard BC has an awesome selection, and some craft breweries ship there if they do ship to Canada. Might have to make a trip back to stock up on Fall/Winter beers! (My favorite seasons haha)

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
Also, I've worked part time as a server here while attending school. Is bi-lingual a must to work in the industry?

On that note, are serving positions pretty easy to come by?

I apologize for all these seemingly random questions haha. But it's the "little" things that keep me up at night about the move.

Netlfix, TV, internet, phone plans, beer, golf. :laugh:

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
You should probably also know that Netflix Canada does not have a selection quite as good as its American counterpart.

But if you have a VPN big whoop.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
You should probably also know that Netflix Canada does not have a selection quite as good as its American counterpart.

But if you have a VPN big whoop.

Honestly it depends on your tastes.
American is more about quantity, Canadian is more about quality.

There's stuff I like that's not available on US netflix but is on CA netflix (and the reverse is true too)

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

Take that as you will, but from reading your posts over the years you always felt older, like, 10 years older.

I think what you should do is get into comedy/theatre or something.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I really don't get why Canada hasn't stepped up to the plate and done that. We lose so much young talent every year because so many kids simply can't afford to go to school. Sure, there are student loans, but many kids don't have the family backing to even get those.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Take that as you will, but from reading your posts over the years you always felt older, like, 10 years older.

I think what you should do is get into comedy/theatre or something.
+1000 I was going to post the same comment but L'Aveuglette (as often, it turns out) got here first.

PolakDave, have you tried stand up comedy? Maybe write down a few of your Polish jokes, try an open mic and see where it takes you. You can write and you crack me up.

Or do something with your manga drawings.

No guarantee of financial success, but you have a talent and you should share it.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I really don't get why Canada hasn't stepped up to the plate and done that. We lose so much young talent every year because so many kids simply can't afford to go to school. Sure, there are student loans, but many kids don't have the family backing to even get those.
That's because nobody wants to pay the taxes it would take to finance universities to the point that tuitions can be lowered. People in Scandinavian countries have a different mindset when it comes to taxes and social responsibility.

And also because a lot of university spending goes to things that have nothing to do with education or research.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Might have to make a trip back to stock up on Fall/Winter beers! (My favorite seasons haha)

I think you'll find enough beers that you like here that you won't feel the need to be importing them up from the States.

There's a lot of quality brews in Ontario. Think of it like an adventure.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Dave, Join the Air Force - It's better.

And saw a number plate earlier, DA57 YUK... That made me giggle coming back from hockey..

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Well I did not know Wind does not provide services in Montreal

I was stuck without internet for a few days there :laugh:

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
Well I did not know Wind does not provide services in Montreal

I was stuck without internet for a few days there :laugh:

Has definitely happened to me a couple times with Wind ... but Montreal seems like a place that it should work!

Thanks for all the advice, btw, guys! I used to want to go into comedy, but then my MOM got a job!

This is why I'd be unsuccessful...

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I've gotten like 5 in the last 2 weeks. Wtf is up with that? Can I just keep ignoring it or should I look into getting a vpn?

They can ban you. I got one in my whole history. Stop downloading illegal **** directly and start using torrents.

Rogers hasn't disclosed you to those companies since they can't but if one of those companies you pirated get a warrant rogers would have to give you up and that said company can take you to court.

hypothetically speaking assuming no one here is doing anything illegal

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
All I do is torrent though that's why I'm confused.

oh snap. If they can catch torrents then I gotta be more careful.

Did you read the emails? is it a bunch of different companies or just one repeatedly?

And what are you getting them for? Movies? Video Games? Music?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad