OT: Sens Lounge LXXVIX | The Bonerland Medical Association Bi-Annual Box Social/Crabfest

Status
Not open for further replies.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I just cover my rice in whatever hot sauce I have, but the Sriracha (red chinese hot sauce with a roster on it) is awesome on rice. Add a bit of cheese and maybe some cherry tomatoes and other veg, yum...

Sriacha is by far my favorite sauce to go with rice :) and I love veggies as well... Usually mushroom, tomato, and parsley. I also recently got an onion chopper and this has been really good for adding onion because I think the chopped portions are perfect for the rice.

but getting back to the picture I posted... Can anyone here make rice as whole and non sticky as that?

Last edited:

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
Story time?

I made a tweet a while back saying how I thought THN has shown bias towards Leafs Nation in the past and thus, I didn't take their rankings of our division very seriously.

Ronnie Shuker of THN published an article defending THN and used my tweet as the basis for the article. He was then ripped apart by everyone and their mother in the comment section. :laugh:

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
but getting back to the picture I posted... Can anyone here make rice as whole and non sticky as that?
Marry an Iranian woman! Or get a rice cooker, but it won't be as good.

All I know is (purely by observing someone and from memory): you need good some basmati rice, and if you don't have a rice cooker you need to let the rice simmer in boiling water that is 1cm higher than the rice. The rice will absorb the water and puff up. Oh and you need some oil too, and I think some salt. But google is your friend anyway: google "how to make persian rice".

Depending on the dish, you add some saffron or some sumac to the rice to go along with the rest of your meal.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I usually make brown rice and I don't use a rice cooker, although even when I have used a rice cooker it doesn't come out as well as restaurants do it. And marrying and Iranian woman is simply out of the question, but appreciate your suggestions.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
3 I'll check is by far my favorite sauce to go with rice :) and I love veggies as well... Usually mushroom, tomato, and parsley. I also recently got an onion chopper and this has been really good for adding onion because I think the chopped portions are perfect for the rice.

One thing you might try if you don't already do it is wash your rice before cooking it. Basically you run cold water over it until the water no longer turns starchy.

It's a must when making sushi rice imo, but does wonders for all different types of rice.

On the topic of sushi rice, I find it's great with or without soy sauce, and you can make it sweeter or less sweet by adjusting how much su (ricewine and sugar mixture) you add.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Now remembering the time when I was 13, playing goalie in AA and the mother of the opposing goalie kept shining a laser pointer in my eyes. This happened. 13. AA. Hockey parents. She got away with it too.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Now remembering the time when I was 13, playing goalie in AA and the mother of the opposing goalie kept shining a laser pointer in my eyes. This happened. 13. AA. Hockey parents. She got away with it too.

Very surprised by that. Did you report it to the refs? I think the refs could have her removed from the arena and she could be banned from attending games for that.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Very surprised by that. Did you report it to the refs? I think the refs could have her removed from the arena and she could be banned from attending games for that.

Back in the early 2000's, I was a little league baseball umpire, and I had a case where a parent was shining a laser pointer at batters' eyes mid-pitch. Turned out it was the dad of the pitcher, trying to make his son look better on the mound.

I gave the batter a walk, ejected both the pitcher, coach and the parent from the game. The league didn't give the parent any further discipline, so I did on my end. Next game I umped for that team, I told the parent he wasn't welcome. He told me where to go, so I said fine - I'm calling this game MY way until you leave. His kid was starting pitcher - first batter got a walk on 4 pitches, despite 2 being obvious strikes. Dad was irate, called me every dirty ne in the book. Second batter got walked in 5 pitches, bot only because he swung at one. Coach of the other team figured out what I was doing, and told his players not to swing at anything. Third batter, walks in 4 pitches. Fourth batter, walks in a run on 4 pitches. At this point, the parents in the stands are either irate or laughin their ***** off.

Finally, Lazer Dad has had enough. Calls me the worst umpire he's ever seen, an embarrassment to baseball, and leaves. Funny enough, after he leaves, his kid's strike zone got way bigger, and the kid ended up winning the game like 6-2, and he had some nasty srikeou total, like 7 over 5 innings.

Moral of the story: screw that laser pointer guy.

Also: hey Lounge. What'd I miss this week? Komodo was awesome, got to swim with sea turtles & sharks. I can post vids later, if anyone is interested.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
In need of some advice for any techies here.

I am not one who is well versed in camcorders or photography and am looking to go out and purchase something this weekend. I plan on using the camcorder to record a lot of movement (ie. hockey) so it would need to be something that can keep focus during high levels of movement.

Additionally, I'd be looking to take some stills with the camcorder as well, if possible.

Not sure if anyone would know much about any recommendations, but I figured I'd ask.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam

I tried in-game but all she did was hide it. Picked her spots. They thought I was nuts.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Anybody looking for a good time tonight should head over to Babylon

Souljazz Orchestra is playing and it's going to be awesome

Cover is 15 bucks though but there's supposed to be some epic DJs as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad