OT: Sens Lounge LXXVII | A Fridge Too Far Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, I find you tube is hard to load on my phone sometimes but that could be more to do with the fact it's a Samsung 2 and my wi fi connection is a little weak at times.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Playing Tiger Woods 14 with my friend, and I shot a 38 over 18 holes.

Hole in one on 1 par 3, 2 par 4s, and an albatross on a par 5

I once had an eagle three on a par five hole dog-leg to the left over water! Don't ask me for my 18 hole score!

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
My bro letting me use his house in Boston-area so my gf and I can go sightseeing while he goes to DC for a week. Saved me a ton of money. Car rental is $300 for the week plus I get 1K HHonours points.

Definitely saves some money there! We'll be driving from Ottawa to NYC and staying in a hotel just outside Manhattan (Long Island city). Prices in Manhattan are just ridiculous. Only staying 3 days (weekend) and going to a concert at MSG on the Saturday. Should be a nice trip as I've never been to NYC.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Long Island City is good. You're not too far from Astoria which has some nice shopping and also a beautiful park along the Hudson.

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
Anyone who's a whiz at networking should swing by my house and open up my NAT for my Xbone.

I am having zero luck.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
What really irritates me about the next gen consoles is the ****** DLNA support. The previous gen searched for network media servers automatically, having to go to my PC to play movies on my xbox is silly.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Agreed. DLNA should be standard. What also sucks is there are so many knock-offs out there. I foolishly purchased this Actiontec ScreenBeam Wireless Display Kit. Have been trying endlessly to get it to work. "Built-In" Intel WiDi technology on my gf's lapper won't connect, then add the USB dongle and that won't connect either. If I had DLNA all around I'd be fine.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Agreed. DLNA should be standard. What also sucks is there are so many knock-offs out there. I foolishly purchased this Actiontec ScreenBeam Wireless Display Kit. Have been trying endlessly to get it to work. "Built-In" Intel WiDi technology on my gf's lapper won't connect, then add the USB dongle and that won't connect either. If I had DLNA all around I'd be fine.

Apparently there is a workaround involving a piece of software called skifta or something that you install on a phone or tablet. Regardless, its silly that it all isn't standard. Hopefully they fix it in a patch or something

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
What really irritates me about the next gen consoles is the ****** DLNA support. The previous gen searched for network media servers automatically, having to go to my PC to play movies on my xbox is silly.

It's because they want to force you to go to their media stores rather than using what you have available.
PS3 though is one of the greatest home entertainment boxes. DLNA support, local media storage support, bluray player, netflix/crackle/etc available, hdmi, optical audio, etc etc.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Definitely saves some money there! We'll be driving from Ottawa to NYC and staying in a hotel just outside Manhattan (Long Island city). Prices in Manhattan are just ridiculous. Only staying 3 days (weekend) and going to a concert at MSG on the Saturday. Should be a nice trip as I've never been to NYC.

I've had really good luck with VRBOs in Manhattan, actually.

Last time we were in NYC (last summer), we stayed a block from the Museum of Natural History for like $185/night. 2 beds, full (small) kitchen to make meals rather than eat out every night.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
It's because they want to force you to go to their media stores rather than using what you have available.
PS3 though is one of the greatest home entertainment boxes. DLNA support, local media storage support, bluray player, netflix/crackle/etc available, hdmi, optical audio, etc etc.

Yeah i figured as much, im still using my ps3 for that reason, although Civia or whatever that **** is gets in the way sometimes.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Apparently there is a workaround involving a piece of software called skifta or something that you install on a phone or tablet. Regardless, its silly that it all isn't standard. Hopefully they fix it in a patch or something

I did get my phone to interface w/ the receiver but it's a lot less convenient than the laptop. I think ultimately my gf's lapper needs a clean install but she wasn't ready to do it at the time. I tried my lapper but it's a work lapper and locked down so I couldn't install the required software.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I tried to tell my friends not to sell their PS3s before moving to ps4. That console has a lot of life left and does stuff that the 4 can't (like playing ps3 games).

I find it absurd that everyone is going nuts over the ps4 and xbone when the Wii U and PS3 are the best consoles on the market right no, especially when you consider the the prices. Of course, that will change but I feel like it's gonna take a long time for that to happen.

And goddammit Sony, I want Knack on ps plus. Wtf, stop giving me indies that I already have on my PC.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
I've had really good luck with VRBOs in Manhattan, actually.

Last time we were in NYC (last summer), we stayed a block from the Museum of Natural History for like $185/night. 2 beds, full (small) kitchen to make meals rather than eat out every night.

Yeah we found a couple of decent ones on VRBO. But the problem was parking as we are driving from Ottawa. We were able to find a hotel with 2 queens and small kitchen in Long Island city right beside the subway for about 170$ per night (which has parking).

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Yeah we found a couple of decent ones on VRBO. But the problem was parking as we are driving from Ottawa. We were able to find a hotel with 2 queens and small kitchen in Long Island city right beside the subway for about 170$ per night (which has parking).

Yeah, parking is a SOB in NYC... we fly in, so it's not usually an issue for us.

Good deal on the hotel - being next to the subway is key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad