"Hey Fatty, I got a movie for you! A fridge too far!"

king-size-homer.jpg

Last edited:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
sask said:
In 50 years people will look back and be amazed that climate change was even a debate. Just like Benny said, it is like when people said cigarettes weren't unhealthy

Wasn't me but I agree.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
re: global warming discussions that I can no longer quote:

giphy.gif

Do your best with this...

Scientists know how to see weather patterns and levels from thousands of years ago. From rocks and ice etc.

97% of scientists agree that global warming was started by humans and is unnatural.
http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/
Sink holes?

i'm not for or against this stuff, but I always found it difficult to search facts, so if you believe that, I'd appreciate if you had sources so I can dive in and figure it out

This is out of date by about 3 years. Shows ceiling of 98% of "most published" scientists in the field.

800px-Climate_science_opinion2.png

If one thing is easy, it's taking stats to prove your own opinion (not that I don't believe in what you suggest, just playing devils advocate). I could find a webpage linking to a graph that shows that 97% of climate scientists believe that global warming is a natural process.

I wouldn't say global warming is created by humans. But it's more likely a natural process accelerated (greatly) by humans.

I would like to see that.

Climate has never been a constant. However, what is referred to as "global warming" or sometimes just "climate change" is a process specifically caused by humans. The 2 or 3% of scientists who disagree are hired by the business lobby, sort of like the scientists in the 60s and 70s who claimed that cigarettes did not cause any harm.

We've really only been tracking weather patterns for 200 or so years. That's like one second in the lifetime of the planet. It's really hard to know for sure if the changes happening now are normal or not.

The real problem is having 7+ billion humans hanging around consuming resources. No matter how much we try and conserve, 7 billion are going to consume way too much and take up too much space on the planet.

It takes hundreds of thousands, to millions of years for dead organisms to convert into crude. In the meantime, what effects are we causing, under land, under the sea, etc, by pulling out millions of barrels of crude per day? What is "filling the gaps" in the meantime, and how is all that movement under our feet effecting everything else?

ah good stuff, good place to start.

didn't realize it was so lopsided to the point of not even being a debate

I was exaggerating a bit there. My point being that it's easy to skew stats. There's a lot going on around earth that can influence it. But it's easier to study factors that are within reach (with less resources being spent), that being the human influence on earth. Rather than studying sun and earth cycles. Again, I'm just playing devils advocate. I actually think most of it is due to human activities, but find it interesting to see the other side nonetheless.

Here's one interesting article :

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052970204301404577171531838421366

seems that article (one mat posted) is just about how much de-carbonizing we need to do, as in it's addressing some other issue

As someone who has in the past worked for, and whose family currently works for a Forestry Conservation NGO, that article makes me angry in ways that I didn't know I could ever get.

the last sentence is pretty weak, especially considering it's on the opinion section, and is written by what I would assume someone who isn't a scientist.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Fridges are awesome. That is all.

Also, The inventor of fridges would be proud that you named a thread after fridges. ;)

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The inventor of fridges would be proud.

That would be Lord Jonathan Cornelius Frigington III. He invented the refrigerator as a means to rejuvinate a man's health, as he believed that the rapid cooling of one's body "shocks the senses of a man, awakens his capacities and capitulations for life and vigour, and renews his spirit". He coined the term "Re-Frigerator" because he felt his invention imbibed him with a second lease on life.

This is all facts, you don't need to go looking it up or anything. You can trust me.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I don't believe you.

Come on now. Where would the human race be without fridges? How would we be able to make sure our food stays nice and fresh?

That would be Lord Jonathan Cornelius Frigington III. He invented the refrigerator as a means to rejuvinate a man's health, as he believed that the rapid cooling of one's body "shocks the senses of a man, awakens his capacities and capitulations for life and vigour, and renews his spirit". He coined the term "Re-Frigerator" because he felt his invention imbibed him with a second lease on life.

This is all facts, you don't need to go looking it up or anything. You can trust me.

:laugh::laugh:

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Ah yes, good ol' JC Frigington III. Real shame how he died. Mainlined a vapor compressor to get the refridgerant in its purest form. Kept alternating between cool and hot for a while then just sputtered out of existence. Crying shame. The man was nothing if not passionate though.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Come on now. Where would the human race be without fridges? How would we be able to make sure our food stays nice and fresh?

Let it never be said that I have ever said a disparaging word about fridges.

I was simply questioning your sincerity. Oh sure, people say fridges are awesome when they think they can glean a little social clout, a little nod from the politically correct media, maybe a discreet envelope or two from the refrigerator lobby groups, but we know what people really think deep down in their fridge hating bellies. Oh we know! :skeptic:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I have always wondered how chef Gordon Ramsay would do as a NHL coach. Would he be a good coach or would he suck at it?

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
My ex-wife would be a good coach. She has a good winning record. Heck, she could even buy the Sens with the alimony cheques I give her.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
re: global warming discussions that I can no longer quote:

giphy.gif

Global warming...what the heck does that really mean???

From what I learned in Historic Geology (which was many moons ago), the Earth has gone through many global warmings and coolings. The whole thing reminds me of the episode "robbed a stoner blind" from My Name is Earl.

Last edited:

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
Blockbusterrrrrrrr.

My favourite non-Raptor is now playing with LeBron. I don't know how to feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad