OT: Sens Lounge CVI - The O & D Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Sandwiches in Subway 'too sugary to meet legal definition of being bread'

Ever since Jared, man Subway have been getting tough press. A while back their chicken breast was said to be half plant. This particular case was at the Irish Supreme court where Subway was trying to get out of having to charge the Irish HST on their subs. But the court ruled that 10% of the weight of the flour in their bread was sugar and thus it no longer qualified as bread and so HST applies. I guess it might be better described as cake. Some people will probably say i dont care if its a Tofu Cake sub, i still like it, and that's fine.

I guess this was similar to the american story where hot dog vendors in New York contested that their hot dog was not a sandwich and so sandwich taxes shouldnt apply.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019

Ever since Jared, man Subway have been getting tough press. A while back their chicken breast was said to be half plant. This particular case was at the Irish Supreme court where Subway was trying to get out of having to charge the Irish HST on their subs. But the court ruled that 10% of the weight of the flour in their bread was sugar and thus it no longer qualified as bread and so HST applies. I guess it might be better described as cake. Some people will probably say i dont care if its a Tofu Cake sub, i still like it, and that's fine.

I guess this was similar to the american story where hot dog vendors in New York contested that their hot dog was not a sandwich and so sandwich taxes shouldnt apply.

Think wild,

how on God's green earth did you stumble on this?
And how did this get to the courts? OH MY GOD

I am dying of laughter.

Just for education, do we pay HST on Subway sandwiches. It's been so long since I went in, I cannot remember.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Think wild,

I am dying of laughter.

Just for education, do we pay HST on Subway sandwiches. It's been so long since I went in, I cannot remember.

It was on the front page of reddit yesterday.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Think wild,

I am dying of laughter.

Must’ve been in one of my feeds. Made me laugh too. But oh yeah this type of court case is very common these days especially with many of the free trade deals, which when you think about it, should be 1 page saying we have free trade. But they are usually 1000’s of pages of exceptions to trade dictating the most crazy things like this. Or weather a hot dog is a sandwich or not.

I think all fast food is taxed. Plus we have all sorts of rules like 1 donut isn’t taxed but a pack of 6 is.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

Powerful. This is on my 'must-watch' list. Social media is terrifying in how much it's stratified us as a society, pitted us against one another and convinced us that the grey areas of life don't exist. And yet, it's also made itself invaluable in our day-to-day lives, to the point where it's become almost a necessity to be on Facebook if you want any kind of social life.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Powerful. This is on my 'must-watch' list. Social media is terrifying in how much it's stratified us as a society, pitted us against one another and convinced us that the grey areas of life don't exist. And yet, it's also made itself invaluable in our day-to-day lives, to the point where it's become almost a necessity to be on Facebook if you want any kind of social life.
This is the enemy of society, not the far left or far Right. It's too bad that a whole generation of kids are going to be fak'd because of it. I've always been on the side of fighting for justice but in the last 5 years I know the most of it is manufactured resistance.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

It's long been a known fact that McDonald's buns don't count as bread but as confectionery, but this past summer I had a burger, here in the Czech Republic, that took that concept way too far - the bun literally tasted like that kind of grocery store vanilla birthday cake, it was inedible

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
It's long been a known fact that McDonald's buns don't count as bread but as confectionery, but this past summer I had a burger, here in the Czech Republic, that took that concept way too far - the bun literally tasted like that kind of grocery store vanilla birthday cake, it was incredible

Fixed

Reactions: Stylizer1

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
In what world is resistance NOT free will? I'd argue the illusion of freedom exists moreso within the existing frameworks.
A world where everything is sensationalized to the point of distorting reality. Traditional media feeds social media and vice versa. Outrage is a calculated exercise. Manipulation of peoples emotions is very powerful. Edward Bernays was a brilliant manipulator.

There is no such thing as freedom.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
A world where everything is sensationalized to the point of distorting reality. Traditional media feeds social media and vice versa. Outrage is a calculated exercise. Manipulation of peoples emotions is very powerful. Edward Bernays was a brilliant manipulator.

There is no such thing as freedom.
These seem like contradictory viewpoints, though. You argue that the current system in which we live manufactures outrage and makes it so that freedom can't possibly exist... so how can it also be that fighting against this same system can't usher in change? If we're just doomed to living cut-and-paste lives, what's the point? Your viewpoint seems like one of those classic philosophical debates. I'd rather look at it from the Rousseau perspective that "man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains" and choose to try and break those chains.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
These seem like contradictory viewpoints, though. You argue that the current system in which we live manufactures outrage and makes it so that freedom can't possibly exist... so how can it also be that fighting against this same system can't usher in change? If we're just doomed to living cut-and-paste lives, what's the point? Your viewpoint seems like one of those classic philosophical debates. I'd rather look at it from the Rousseau perspective that "man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains" and choose to try and break those chains.
We are led to believe someone is taking our freedom and we must demand it back which is a fallacy. We enslave each other. We surrender to a system because it insures just enough basic needs are met. In return the system takes advantage of us and exploits us and keeps people wilfully ignorant. The root of injustice is inequality and never has there been a point in time when there was universal equality. Racism is rampant around the world but because we are the enlightened ones we can defeat it? Police brutality isn't racism because a white officer kills someone of another race it's the inequality in how the system is designed that gives people power over one another. Labelling it as racist gives it the emotional substance people will gravitate too but doesn't identify the problem. Inequality is the only way the system works, and it works globally, flawlessly in fact for those who benefit from it.

I say we live in a time of manufactured outrage. Freedom is something onto its own. It's a state of mind not a state of being.

The foundation of the system is inequality and every generation inherits it.

Reactions: PoutineSp00nZ

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We are led to believe someone is taking our freedom and we must demand it back which is a fallacy. We enslave each other. We surrender to a system because it insures just enough basic needs are met. In return the system takes advantage of us and exploits us and keeps people wilfully ignorant. The root of injustice is inequality and never has there been a point in time when there was universal equality. Racism is rampant around the world but because we are the enlightened ones we can defeat it? Police brutality isn't racism because a white officer kills someone of another race it's the inequality in how the system is designed that gives people power over one another. Labelling it as racist gives it the emotional substance people will gravitate too but doesn't identify the problem. Inequality is the only way the system works, and it works globally, flawlessly in fact for those who benefit from it.

I say we live in a time of manufactured outrage. Freedom is something onto its own. It's a state of mind not a state of being.

The foundation of the system is inequality and every generation inherits it.

Maybe you should focus on your own set of shackles, before claiming to have any sort of freedom.

And before you protest...you're definitely wearing them.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
That particular post was not condescending but you must realize that your common theme of "you only believe that because the mainstream media and government are saying it and have brainwashed you and you lack the critical thinking skills to form your own opinion " is at least somewhat condescending. And insulting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad