OT: Sens Lounge CV - The CV Joint and other Car Parts Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
To be honest I do not know nor have I given it much thought to pretend that I know if this decision was a good one or not. I was simply responding to your original comment regarding the virus crossing borders.

All I know is that if Quebec does not have this under control then there is no problem restricting movement in and out of the province....temporarily.
Have you opened a newspaper? Awful take.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I see the good ol' Ontario/Québec divide has reared its ugly head.

I don't see any problem with shutting down provincial borders since we are currently dealing with a very contagious virus. We are being asked to stay home because we are trying to limit the spread, this is just another measure taken to help us in that endeavour.

Reactions: branch

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I see the good ol' Ontario/Québec divide has reared its ugly head.

I don't see any problem with shutting down provincial borders since we are currently dealing with a very contagious virus. We are being asked to stay home because we are trying to limit the spread, this is just another measure taken to help us in that endeavour.

It's stupid because there are places not like Ottawa where towns literally straddle the border and th one grocery store of significant size designed to handle both sides of the town might be on the Ontario or Quebec side. Shutting things down helps no one there. It's like Trump and his border wall. It's policy not based on reality.

There's this arrogance about Quebec and how they're handling it... Ontario is stretched for supplies itself but we had to donate PPE to Quebec who were clearly even less prepared than we were (or who had much more spread).

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think both Ontario and Québec are pleased with this provincial border getting shut down.

Again, the point is to limit the spread of the virus. Having people cross the border isn't ideal, especially with how popular it is for people in Ontario coming over to buy beer etc.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
You know I can't because you couched it with a save-your-ass "if" that allows you to baselessly speculate. But Quebec has had a great response to the COVID-19 fears and to even suggest otherwise shows you're not paying attention.

Precisely, your attack was baseless and accusatory for nothing. All I did was state an opinion that if Quebec, who by the way had the most cases in Canada at the time I made that post, did not have the numbers "under control" at some point then there is no harm in limiting travel across borders.

Why is that bad to say or suggest, they are doing it in the U.S with the New York area and we have basically all but closed our Canada-U.S border too have we not?

Are you a Quebec resident and take offense to the province being isolated?

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Precisely, your attack was baseless and accusatory for nothing. All I did was state an opinion that if Quebec, who by the way had the most cases in Canada at the time I made that post, did not have the numbers "under control" at some point then there is no harm in limiting travel across borders.

Why is that bad to say or suggest, they are doing it in the U.S with the New York area and we have basically all but closed our Canada-U.S border too have we not?

Are you a Quebec resident and take offense to the province being isolated?
Looking closer, I think we may arguing the same side of the coin. I think we're both arguing that Quebec is taking stronger measures than other provinces to limit the spread of an already too-large number and there's nothing wrong with that. I misinterpreted your position — my apologies.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Looking closer, I think we may arguing the same side of the coin. I think we're both arguing that Quebec is taking stronger measures than other provinces to limit the spread of an already too-large number and there's nothing wrong with that. I misinterpreted your position — my apologies.

Thank you, I too apologize for getting defensive, but I suppose I felt my position was misunderstood and I hope I was able to clarify

Edit: I meant misunderstood

Last edited:

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
Clearing up some myths here in the first few minutes

True. And yes, we do not know if we can ever build a true immunity. I get you and others have written that it may never fully go away..the basic question is therefore; what now?

This is not some wild animal in the forest that we can hide from.. Almost inevitably it will infect, most if not all of us... So, what solution are you, or others proposing?

As for my basic assumption that we will not see several waves, I still believe that. I started to write, but there is no need for that debate.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
The high number in Quebec comes both from having an earlier spring break which boosted numbers initially, and a higher number of tests being done so far. Proper social distancing/prevention measures were put in place earlier than in Ontario, and the curve is likely to flatten around the same time it will for most provinces.

But hey, don't let facts get in the way of your Quebec bashing. Gatineau has far fewer cases than in Ottawa so if you somehow think closing the border helps Ontario more, your bias is showing.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
The high number in Quebec comes both from having an earlier spring break which boosted numbers initially, and a higher number of tests being done so far. Proper social distancing/prevention measures were put in place earlier than in Ontario, and the curve is likely to flatten around the same time it will for most provinces.

But hey, don't let facts get in the way of your Quebec bashing. Gatineau has far fewer cases than in Ottawa so if you somehow think closing the border helps Ontario more, your bias is showing.

Can we get over the Quebec inferiority complex already. Nobody is saying that any province is better off than others.

It was the Quebec government that decided to take the step of limiting who comes in and out of Quebec, not Ontario.

My original post regarding this whole issue was actually in defense of Quebec doing this as it will help prevent further outside infections from entering. Go back and read those posts before we spend more time debating this needlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad