OT: Sens Lounge CV - The CV Joint and other Car Parts Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
At least around here, stores are starting to have the first hour of their operating hours be a time for seniors only to shop. So in theory people can at least be out with less crowds and the cleanest the store will be for the day.

They just introduced that here. They started with those hours being 10-12. When I heard that I said, hey, that's when I go shopping, they should make it 6-8 am for seniors. I was half-joking but after one day they really did switch it to 7-9 :)

Reactions: Variable26

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's better than nothing. Most of what we are talking about is to an ISO standard, and can be produced - masks, visors, suits.

It's the disposable stuff that we are running out of.

I heard the generic drug contents are supplied from China. Not sure if that is true. But for all things imported. we need to secure the supply chain or start producing.

It's just a little worrisome, if a doctor is relying on a suit or mask to avoid getting the virus...but it isn't made air/germs tight....you know what I mean?

But yes...it would definitely be silver lining if this virus change a few things in the manufacturing sector. Security is more than having a standing army. Having and producing a good supply of food, medicine, fuel, and essential supplies that we need on a daily basis is critical to have any kind of autonomy as a nation. As great as it is to fill our homes with a bunch of cheap Chinese made goods, it really bites us in the ass when borders are shut down, or something happens politically to cause trade agreements to dissolve.

Having a strong local backup would help so much. Gives us more power when making deals (that we don't need to rely on other countries), more local jobs, and a much better control regarding quality and ensuring local manufacturers abide by strong environmental standards. It's a win on all fronts...except perhaps for paying a bit more for quality products. But it's worth it, all things considered.

That's one thing I wonder about, after this pandemic. What changes will we see in society. More pickup/delivery services for groceries? More staycations or perhaps the return of the family driving vacation? Perhaps more homes investing in a good pantry. Even more home renos or changing the purpose of some rooms...if pandemics willb e happening more often (odds are yes), more home entertainment rooms, craft rooms, things of that nature. Perhaps more options for home schooling or e-learning.

Going to be a ton of possibilities out there...any innovative minds in here, there's going to be some neat business opportunities brewing. Iirc, there are at least 2-3 people in here in the realty/construction fields. Might be a good time to brainstorm what the new trends will be...

Reactions: DrEasy

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I should not get anxiety because I cough a few times... I need to step away from the media.

Reactions: Variable26

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
It's just a little worrisome, if a doctor is relying on a suit or mask to avoid getting the virus...but it isn't made air/germs tight....you know what I mean?

But yes...it would definitely be silver lining if this virus change a few things in the manufacturing sector. Security is more than having a standing army. Having and producing a good supply of food, medicine, fuel, and essential supplies that we need on a daily basis is critical to have any kind of autonomy as a nation. As great as it is to fill our homes with a bunch of cheap Chinese made goods, it really bites us in the ass when borders are shut down, or something happens politically to cause trade agreements to dissolve.

Having a strong local backup would help so much. Gives us more power when making deals (that we don't need to rely on other countries), more local jobs, and a much better control regarding quality and ensuring local manufacturers abide by strong environmental standards. It's a win on all fronts...except perhaps for paying a bit more for quality products. But it's worth it, all things considered.

That's one thing I wonder about, after this pandemic. What changes will we see in society. More pickup/delivery services for groceries? More staycations or perhaps the return of the family driving vacation? Perhaps more homes investing in a good pantry. Even more home renos or changing the purpose of some rooms...if pandemics willb e happening more often (odds are yes), more home entertainment rooms, craft rooms, things of that nature. Perhaps more options for home schooling or e-learning.

Going to be a ton of possibilities out there...any innovative minds in here, there's going to be some neat business opportunities brewing. Iirc, there are at least 2-3 people in here in the realty/construction fields. Might be a good time to brainstorm what the new trends will be...

There will be major changes in society, not only due to the massive data sets to be studied, but because ideas and theories of operating that were always discarded as too hard or costly to test have been thrown to the forefront.

The easiest one is remote/telework. This is largest telework experiment in human history.

Whereas prior to this calamity, workplace norms dictated that even if there was logical cases to be made for allowing more telework, now workplaces have been forced into it. There will be a lot of data gathered on the efficacy and cost of such arrangements. And I don't think the genie will be put back in the bottle. Cost of physical real estate, impact on absentee/presentee rates (which would need to be studied in a non pandemic scenario) , productivity, emissions/commuting / parking etc etc etc.

You will be a big increase in remote service access everywhere. Consult with doctors online, grocery shop online, basically anything that reduces the 'danger' of physical proximity.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
There will be major changes in society, not only due to the massive data sets to be studied, but because ideas and theories of operating that were always discarded as too hard or costly to test have been thrown to the forefront.

The easiest one is remote/telework. This is largest telework experiment in human history.

Whereas prior to this calamity, workplace norms dictated that even if there was logical cases to be made for allowing more telework, now workplaces have been forced into it. There will be a lot of data gathered on the efficacy and cost of such arrangements. And I don't think the genie will be put back in the bottle. Cost of physical real estate, impact on absentee/presentee rates (which would need to be studied in a non pandemic scenario) , productivity, emissions/commuting / parking etc etc etc.

You will be a big increase in remote service access everywhere. Consult with doctors online, grocery shop online, basically anything that reduces the 'danger' of physical proximity.

and out of it, we will end up with a society that exists in silos. As it is we have lost our sense of community.

If we create an environment where a child is home schooled..how does he make friends and how does he learn to play with others..so, how does he work in a factory to produce goods...How does he do the million and one jobs that require human interaction?

How does he socialize and therefore meet his mate..and marry, have kids, etc. Correlate the high divorce rates over the last 50-60 years with the relative isolation of our society. As churches became less popular, as social clubs, as interaction among us became less and less (dance halls, theaters, etc.), as the popularity of TV's and all sorts of PEDs soars... how do we learn to interact?

Heck look at us, on hfboards. We have no idea who the other person is..we safe guard our identities as if we are a spy network.. we bully each other, insult each other, mock, etc.....can you imagine society as a whole, looking like us!!!!

God help humanity moving forward is this becomes the new norm...Canada's negative birth rate will be even more pronounced.

I worked in a remote environment..by the end, we darn near killed each other..learned nothing, because we did not interact fully... It was the worst experience of my life. By comparison, the job before was very communal..I have patents in my name and ~ 200 million dollars worth of product sales world wide!!!!

I shudder at the world left for younger generations..cyber bullying, individualism, impersonal...it will grind to a halt. Do you see any kids playing at a park (Less mommy and daddy attached and/or with their phone in their hand). There is a price that we will pay for that too.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I think it depends on whether you have kids at home, and how old they are.

My wife is doing work from home, and I'm on weekends at the moment. So 4 days a week, our toddler is occupied with me most of the day and the interruptions are no worse than your dog or cat wanting some attention through the day.

But on the day I work, I'm not sure if she really gets anything done since the kid doesn't really play by herself longer than 10 or 15 minutes at a time (unless stuck in front of a TV).

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think it depends on whether you have kids at home, and how old they are.

My wife is doing work from home, and I'm on weekends at the moment. So 4 days a week, our toddler is occupied with me most of the day and the interruptions are no worse than your dog or cat wanting some attention through the day.

But on the day I work, I'm not sure if she really gets anything done since the kid doesn't really play by herself longer than 10 or 15 minutes at a time (unless stuck in front of a TV).

Get the little one some Duplo, and in a few years a ton of Legos. You'll never have to worry about her interrupting your work again.

...but just remember to watch where you step. Those buggers hurt!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Trying to balance homeschool for two young kids and work from home without access to our internal network or even email because our vpn isn't set up to handle everyone across the country trying to log on has meant my productivity has tanked... We should finally be getting limited vpn access this week so I'll see how it goes from there. Never cared for working from home, turns your home into a place of work and the slippery slope towards always being on call begins. It starts with checking emails when the work crackberry dings (i know that dates me a bit) then you start loggin on and submitting files ect. I prefer home to be a refuge from work not an extension of it.

Reactions: Daxi

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Just watched Billy Connolly’s stand up from 2016. Didn’t realize he had Parkinson’s on top of the prostate cancer. Poor fella.
One of my favorites. Although he doesn’t move around much on stage he’s still plenty funny.
Apparently taking a break from stand up now cause his brain works differently he says.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Trying to balance homeschool for two young kids and work from home without access to our internal network or even email because our vpn isn't set up to handle everyone across the country trying to log on has meant my productivity has tanked... We should finally be getting limited vpn access this week so I'll see how it goes from there. Never cared for working from home, turns your home into a place of work and the slippery slope towards always being on call begins. It starts with checking emails when the work crackberry dings (i know that dates me a bit) then you start loggin on and submitting files ect. I prefer home to be a refuge from work not an extension of it.

One of the keys to proper work from home is to dedicate a room /area, so when you leave it you are still leaving work behind.

Kind of like when you go to bed, there's only three things that you should be doing there and they all start with 's',and screen is not one of those.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
One of the keys to proper work from home is to dedicate a room /area, so when you leave it you are still leaving work behind.

Kind of like when you go to bed, there's only three things that you should be doing there and they all start with 's',and screen is not one of those.

Legitimately curious, what’s the third ‘S’?

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
So Cruise ships are stopped. Flights are at a percentage of what they were normally are. Traffic is at a low.

We just need a pandemic once every two years and the planet is saved!

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Friends just retired and were looking forward to starting their travels. Tough timing.

Im still curious whether Americans will bail out the cruise ships. Sounds like they really want to, especially since so many launch from near mar-a-lago. But apparently many of these ships are foreign flagged. And what a luxury item for the retired wanting to travel. Must be a tough sell for bailout though.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
So Cruise ships are stopped. Flights are at a percentage of what they were normally are. Traffic is at a low.

We just need a pandemic once every two years and the planet is saved!

The water in Venice is blue again. The polllution effect must have some notable examples all over the world

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Sounds like people are going to need special permission to cross into Gatineau starting today.

Toronto public health just said they estimate measures will stay in placd until July.

We are still at the early stages of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad