Post-Game Talk: Sens lose 3-1 to EDM

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
So I noticed something I would like to hear some thoughts on. As a prospect one of Tim/Jimmy's most unique aspects of his game was his mobility on the powerplay with and without the puck. For me it was weird seeing him look so stationary on the powerplay in that game. I guess the part I want to hear about is do you guys think he is being coached to cut the mobility? Or do you think he isn't comfortable being that mobile on an NHL powerplay?

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
So I noticed something I would like to hear some thoughts on. As a prospect one of Tim/Jimmy's most unique aspects of his game was his mobility on the powerplay with and without the puck. For me it was weird seeing him look so stationary on the powerplay in that game. I guess the part I want to hear about is do you guys think he is being coached to cut the mobility? Or do you think he isn't comfortable being that mobile on an NHL powerplay?

The whole pp looks too stationary for the most part. Hard to open up holes and seams when you stand still and throw the puck around.

Its not a Timmy issue, its a structural issue.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Some of you are a bit harsh. Edmonton played one of their best games of the season, and possibly the best defensive effort of the season. McDavid and Drai were on and we only limited Oilers to 2 goals.

Our PK was exceptional. Night and day vs earlier in the year. Almost had a few chances at a PK goal too.

Murray was on fire. Zub was stellar this game. He and Chabot were our best defenders.

Our defense holistically was quite good except for Reilly, he made 2-3 brutal suicide passes and turnovers with no pressure on him. That useless point shot 5 seconds too early when he had time to wait for his teammates to still crash the net made me laugh.

Our offense was indeed dry. Batherson needs to be put back with Stutzle. Batherson was generating early but his linemates arent exactly creative players. Stutzle was buzzing and he's getting stronger and increasing possession every game.

Tkachuk's effort on Drai's goal was atrocious. He coasted the entire shift in his own zone and if he literally came back to assist Brannstrom in the slot, that's an easy goal prevention. He stood there doing nothing and skated out prematurely. He was better though, he needs a line driver no doubt, Norris played better but his game requires strength, once he gets more strength he'll be much more noticeable and effective.

Tierney and Brown are really fighting the puck offensively, Brown is in a bit of a dry spell, that's 3 breakaways he's missed now and I have no qualms, he's the 3rd line winger, hoping he nets a few soon.

Dadonov was much more noticeable and was one of our most effective forwards generating plays, he did not get much support as well. Stepan was ok... would much prefer Chlapik, Stepan's shots and whatever chance offensively he has immediately die.

Wolanin for Reilly and Brown for Norris, with Norris going down to 4th line would make us muchhh more effective and big jolt in skill.

Tkachuk-Brown-Dadonov
Stutzle-White-Batherson
Paul-Tierney-Brown
Galchenyuk-Norris-Watson

nice.

Sorry guys. I thought mike reilly was actually decent. In fact. I think he’s been decent since brannstrom came into the lineup. So past 3 games.

Surprising but true, Reilly has not been a disaster the last few games. Kind of scary really...

We (the general consensus) piled on Reilly so much and so hard when he played so badly in those first 7 games that it is only fair to point out when he plays well.

Last night against Montreal was probably his best game. He went unnoticed for most of the game (which is a good thing for him) and actually made three stellar defensive plays that I can think of that probably directly prevented a goal or at the least, prevented a high scoring chance.

His best defensive play when he dove face first at an attempted Draisaitl cross ice pass on a 2 on 1 and broke it up perfectly. He also had made some safe outlet passes out of the zone a few times to relieve pressure.

He still made some bad plays, bad passes and caught a few times, but that is just his ceiling as an NHL player and we have to deal with it until there is a better option.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We (the general consensus) piled on Reilly so much and so hard when he played so badly in those first 7 games that it is only fair to point out when he plays well.

Last night against Montreal was probably his best game. He went unnoticed for most of the game (which is a good thing for him) and actually made three stellar defensive plays that I can think of that probably directly prevented a goal or at the least, prevented a high scoring chance.

His best defensive play when he dove face first at an attempted Draisaitl cross ice pass on a 2 on 1 and broke it up perfectly. He also had made some safe outlet passes out of the zone a few times to relieve pressure.

He still made some bad plays, bad passes and caught a few times, but that is just his ceiling as an NHL player and we have to deal with it until there is a better option.

One thing I've noticed is he has been more physical during this stint of good play too.

Reactions: DrEasy and Bileur

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'm counting 4-2 and thats including Larsson penalty and well, we all know that was a horrible call.
Look at Edmonton’s 2nd “PP” they had 5 seconds and took a penalty, puck never left the face off circle. Our 1st “PP” was 5 seconds behind our own net. Those are essentially coincidentals, no team got a man advantage out of it.

We had 2:05 on our pp, Oilers had 6:05 on their pp.

6 minor penalties were taken, only 4 power plays happened.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

I would be on here giving Ceci credit when he played a good game (it only happened 3 times) best believe im gonna give Mikey Reilly his due

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
ntwxgxgvzcg61.png

Live look at our PP entry . It’s so good that it’s so bad

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Might have another trade to announce. The man got benched by tortorella pretty heavy

Tots gonna be gone before Laine lol. They're not gonna let Torts run another big name out of town. If he is back next season I'll be shocked.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Tots gonna be gone before Laine lol. They're not gonna let Torts run another big name out of town. If he is back next season I'll be shocked.
I feel like if you let tortorella handpick his team (from the whole NHL ) (within reason) he could beat anyone

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Look at Edmonton’s 2nd “PP” they had 5 seconds and took a penalty, puck never left the face off circle. Our 1st “PP” was 5 seconds behind our own net. Those are essentially coincidentals, no team got a man advantage out of it.

We had 2:05 on our pp, Oilers had 6:05 on their pp.

6 minor penalties were taken, only 4 power plays happened.
No comment on the Larsson penalty though?

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
It's so funny, the drop pass can be decent, and a lot of teams use it well, but ours is so exaggerated it's hilarious. Especially dumb when we can just give it to Batherson to carry in himself.
There’s a drop pass and there’s icing it in our own zone.. lol always make me laugh

Reactions: Smeddy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Because we're talking about penalties that occurred during the game slash pp vs pp?
Yes, which is already accounted for in being our powerplay.

Wasn’t a penalty, just like Stutzle’s wasn’t a penalty. Either way, Edmonton had 2 more power plays than us, with only 4 more minutes of powerplay time. That’s all that really matters when someone is saying “despite how many power plays Edmonton had”, they had less/same amount of power plays than any other team we’ve faced outside of the last game against Edmonton.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
So why did the faceoff come outside when white get crossed checked in the back to his knees, face into the post, knocking the goal off? Am i missing something? We had all the pressure there with the goalie pulled

isnt that a penatly on them?
That was absolutely a penalty on us

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Perhaps a lousy take...

I thought the Senators were very good the first half of the game. Picked right up where they left off from the Montreal series, IMO. Things appeared to fall apart in the second half of the second period (and never recovered) and appeared directly related to the team's inability to complete line changes to the far bench, leading to players like Gudbranson and Stepan pulling nearly 2+ minute shifts. You could visibly see the entire team wilt, the Ottawa pace slow to a grind, and players stop moving their feet and instead start vaguely waving at the puck. Passes stopped being relatively crisp and started becoming vague un-aimed chips.

There were times last night when I felt like DJ was experiencing the "hallelujah" moment, like when he ran out a PP1 of Dadonov / Tkachuk / Stutzle / Batherson / Chabot...but then I'm watching Gudbranson trip over his own feet and seeing Reilly pull off his best play of the season to stop a 2v1 and wondering "why are these two still being paired together?"

Reactions: Smeddy and Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad