Post-Game Talk: Sens lose 3-1 to EDM

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Some of you are a bit harsh. Edmonton played one of their best games of the season, and possibly the best defensive effort of the season. McDavid and Drai were on and we only limited Oilers to 2 goals.

Our PK was exceptional. Night and day vs earlier in the year. Almost had a few chances at a PK goal too.

Murray was on fire. Zub was stellar this game. He and Chabot were our best defenders.

Our defense holistically was quite good except for Reilly, he made 2-3 brutal suicide passes and turnovers with no pressure on him. That useless point shot 5 seconds too early when he had time to wait for his teammates to still crash the net made me laugh.

Our offense was indeed dry. Batherson needs to be put back with Stutzle. Batherson was generating early but his linemates arent exactly creative players. Stutzle was buzzing and he's getting stronger and increasing possession every game.

Tkachuk's effort on Drai's goal was atrocious. He coasted the entire shift in his own zone and if he literally came back to assist Brannstrom in the slot, that's an easy goal prevention. He stood there doing nothing and skated out prematurely. He was better though, he needs a line driver no doubt, Norris played better but his game requires strength, once he gets more strength he'll be much more noticeable and effective.

Tierney and Brown are really fighting the puck offensively, Brown is in a bit of a dry spell, that's 3 breakaways he's missed now and I have no qualms, he's the 3rd line winger, hoping he nets a few soon.

Dadonov was much more noticeable and was one of our most effective forwards generating plays, he did not get much support as well. Stepan was ok... would much prefer Chlapik, Stepan's shots and whatever chance offensively he has immediately die.

Wolanin for Reilly and Brown for Norris, with Norris going down to 4th line would make us muchhh more effective and big jolt in skill.

Tkachuk-Brown-Dadonov
Stutzle-White-Batherson
Paul-Tierney-Brown
Galchenyuk-Norris-Watson

nice.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Despite how many PP Edmonton had this was a very close game. Knock on wood, Ottawa is finally playing good hockey. Good PK, good effort. Not getting blown out. Murray making saves. This is what we were told would the season would be like. A team that would be competitive but still fall short in terms of the score.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Despite how many PP Edmonton had this was a very close game. Knock on wood, Ottawa is finally playing good hockey. Good PK, good effort. Not getting blown out. Murray making saves. This is what we were told would the season would be like. A team that would be competitive but still fall short in terms of the score.
They only had 3 power plays to our 1

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
From best to worst:

Forwards

1. Josh Norris - He was good tonight.

2. Chris Tierney - He's still... There. Tried as he often does, but his limited skillset prevented him from making a difference. Still, he was far from being the problem here.

3. Colin White - Okay. Not great. Not terrible.

4. Drake Batherson - Almost invisible as Edmonton held the puck all game.

5. Nick Paul - Tough player to fault even when he's not on his game.

6. Evgeny Dadonov - Still passable defensively, but he wasn't good anywhere else tonight. Made a bunch of random plays. Killed a handful of good plays. The effort is clearly there, but there's no execution whatsoever. He needs to pick up soon.

7. Tim Stützle - It's becoming increasingly apparent that he's not ready. He's a split second behind NHL pace and desperately needs to mature physically (failed/forced passes, easily nudged off the puck, can't compete along the boards, struggles to contribute defensively, etc.)

8. Brady Tkachuk - Disappointing. He was never confused with a ballerina, but his skating has been particularly horrid in the last stretch. Still not as much focus on the puck as you'd like. Minimal effort on backchecks. Passes completely off. Can get a shot off. Just not great right now.

9. Alex Galchenyuk - A couple of decent moments in the Oilers zone, but also some glaring and unnecessary defensive mistakes that won't endear him with the coaching staff.

10. Connor brown - The place where offense goes to die. Honest effort, as always. But he's a 4th liner. And so far, not nearly as effective as he was last year on either side of the ice.

11. Austin Watson - First game of the season where he didn't look like a competent fourth liner. Couldn't react or keep pace under intense Oilers pressure.

12. Derek Stepan - Why is he still here?

Defense/G

1. Thomas Chabot - Good news is that Hotsam was back to being the best defenseman on the ice and it wasn't close.

2. Artyom Zub - Steadily increasing responsibilities and he still passes the eye test.

3. Nikita Zaitsev - Little to fault tonight.

4. Erik Brännström - One play where he could have managed the puck better (that led to a goal). Otherwise solid.

5. Erik Gudbranson - An horrific sequence where he tripped, fell, took himself out of the play and lost the puck completely unpressured in the neutral zone. Take that out and he's still on the uptrend from where he began.

6. Mike Reilly - Mixed bag of good and bad plays. Palatable since being paired with Zub and miles better than he was at the start of the season.

Matt Murray - Simply magic. Again.

I was with ya until here.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I'd characterize that game as frustrating.... which is actually a big step up from embarrassing, which was last weeks dominant theme.

C Brown has been a huge disappointment for me, seems to have completely lost the ability to win puck battles and even pick up loose pucks.

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
What the f*** was that call on white for dislodging the net. What the f*** is he suppose to do? Refs need to use their brains. Why would white WANT to dislodge the net? He was no where near the goalie so not like he was running Smith. Just an atrocious call

It felt like the refs had to get off the because they had a hot date or plans after the game. I was listening to the Edmonton feed and it was a bit tough to swallow when they defended the call on Sutzle. The play on White, to their credit, they couldn't even defend. The reffing had a very weird vibe to it last night.

Reactions: Burrowsaurus

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Some of you are a bit harsh. Edmonton played one of their best games of the season, and possibly the best defensive effort of the season. McDavid and Drai were on and we only limited Oilers to 2 goals.

Our PK was exceptional. Night and day vs earlier in the year. Almost had a few chances at a PK goal too.

Murray was on fire. Zub was stellar this game. He and Chabot were our best defenders.

Our defense holistically was quite good except for Reilly, he made 2-3 brutal suicide passes and turnovers with no pressure on him. That useless point shot 5 seconds too early when he had time to wait for his teammates to still crash the net made me laugh.

Our offense was indeed dry. Batherson needs to be put back with Stutzle. Batherson was generating early but his linemates arent exactly creative players. Stutzle was buzzing and he's getting stronger and increasing possession every game.

Tkachuk's effort on Drai's goal was atrocious. He coasted the entire shift in his own zone and if he literally came back to assist Brannstrom in the slot, that's an easy goal prevention. He stood there doing nothing and skated out prematurely. He was better though, he needs a line driver no doubt, Norris played better but his game requires strength, once he gets more strength he'll be much more noticeable and effective.

Tierney and Brown are really fighting the puck offensively, Brown is in a bit of a dry spell, that's 3 breakaways he's missed now and I have no qualms, he's the 3rd line winger, hoping he nets a few soon.

Dadonov was much more noticeable and was one of our most effective forwards generating plays, he did not get much support as well. Stepan was ok... would much prefer Chlapik, Stepan's shots and whatever chance offensively he has immediately die.

Wolanin for Reilly and Brown for Norris, with Norris going down to 4th line would make us muchhh more effective and big jolt in skill.

Tkachuk-Brown-Dadonov
Stutzle-White-Batherson
Paul-Tierney-Brown
Galchenyuk-Norris-Watson

nice.

I thought u guys played great and it was a very entertaining game. Murray seems to have found his game. Its not all doom and gloom. Trust me, Im an Oiler fan. We know a thing or two about losing. Build from the back out. You guys have Murray locked up, Chabot is a dandy, and some great forwards coming. In 2-3 years, Ottawa is set

Reactions: Sen sational

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
We do have a nice defense group now with the emergence of Zub. I would say we have the best defense in our division now after Montreal. And top 10 in the league. Drafting an another defenseman in the first round 2021, will be an overkill. Actually drafting Sanderson was an overkill already. Instead any other GM in the league, would jump at the opportunity to address scoring limitations on the team or a lack of a first line center.

And yes, we do have the weakest forward group in the entire league. It is completely on Dorion. Limiting the poll of draftees to the US college system only. Norris, Tkachuk and White are all 35 to 45 points per season players. May be 50-55 in a few years. But I doubt it. They are just younger versions of Derek Stepan. Dorion drafts and trades for their types not for skills but for the character. You do not make playoffs with this group of forwards now or down the road. We are worst of the worst in the league with our forward group. We can not complete three offensive passes in a row. Edmonton routinely completes at least 5 on average, when starting in their own zone. I do not believe the team even practices the exits from our own end. It is painful to watch. The only player who can take the puck off the boards is Stutzle. But he has no support and no one to pass a puck to. The forwards situation has to be addressed as soon as possible.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
We do have a nice defense group now with the emergence of Zub. I would say we have the best defense in our division now after Montreal. And top 10 in the league. Drafting an another defenseman in the first round 2021, will be an overkill. Actually drafting Sanderson was an overkill already. Instead any other GM in the league, would jump at the opportunity to address scoring limitations on the team or a lack of a first line center.

And yes, we do have the weakest forward group in the entire league. It is completely on Dorion. Limiting the poll of draftees to the US college system only. Norris, Tkachuk and White are all 35 to 45 points per season players. May be 50-55 in a few years. But I doubt it. They are just younger versions of Derek Stepan. Dorion drafts and trades for their types not for skills but for the character. You do not make playoffs with this group of forwards now or down the road. We are worst of the worst in the league with our forward group. We can not complete three offensive passes in a row. Edmonton routinely completes at least 5 on average, when starting in their own zone. I do not believe the team even practices the exits from our own end. It is painful to watch. The only player who can take the puck off the boards is Stutzle. But he has no support and no one to pass a puck to. The forwards situation has to be addressed as soon as possible.

2 years of scorched earth rebuild thats why there are no forwards

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
All in all, this was a good loss. Solid goaltending, good effort and some flashes of promise. This is what I expected this season.

Wolanin for Reilly

I'm watching Sens games consistently for the first time in a long time, so I don't know them as well as you guys and I don't have any memories of how they may have played affecting how I see them now.

Reilly has settled down quite a bit from his first few games. Wolanin's 4 games were atrocious. It may be that he would have worked himself out of it like Reilly did and surpassed Reilly, but IMO Wolanin has clearly been the worst defenseman out of all 9 we've used this season. I also don't consider it a blow to the rebuild if Reilly winds up being better than Wolanin because there's only a 1.5 year age gap.

Brannstrom panicked on the Draisaitl goal. He tried to stickhandle with the heel of his stick, arms stretched out and then tried a weak push away. It looked like he had time to pull it in and make a stronger clearing attempt.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
2 years of scorched earth rebuild thats why there are no forwards

Somehow we ended up with a good defense. We will see one of Jacob Bernard-Docker or Sanderson will be traded for a scoring help. As of right now our forward group is an embarrassment. I would trade them both to Winnipeg for Laine in a second. And a second round pick too. We are absolutely desperate for any talent. May be we can still swipe Sanderson for Holtz, Quinn, Rossi or Perfetti?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Somehow we ended up with a good defense. We will see one of Jacob Bernard-Docker or Sanderson will be traded for a scoring help. As of right now our forward group is an embarrassment. I would trade them both to Winnipeg for Laine in a second. And a second round pick too. We are absolutely desperate for any talent. May be we can still swipe Sanderson for Holtz, Quinn, Rossi or Perfetti?
I’ve got some news for you...

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Man if I had a nickel every year we've heard this.....
Well there have been some decisions that have back fired. I think u did well on the Karlsson trade but the Duchene trade was a bad one. We all make them. I understand he did the Duchene trade for a playoff run but Avs did good on that trade. Duchene is nothing anymore.
Look what Chiarelli did to us. 1st and 2nd to Isles for Griffin Reinhart. 2 players turned out to be Barzal and Beaulivier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad