Rumor: Sens looking to add to their blue line

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Justin Faulk is your man!

Would cost too much for where we're at as a team.

Unless you'd take some of these players: Tierney, Boedker, Ryan, Zaitsev, Namestnikov, Ennis, Hainsey, potentially Demelo.

I'd definitely take him though. The contract is definitely long so would have to include Zaitsev IMO

Last edited:

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
This wouldn’t be a big move. They’d be looking for the D version of Namestnikov: a guy they can get on the cheap now and then flip again later once most of his cap hit is paid.

A #4-6 who is overpaid/underachieving and in the final year of his deal. They just need him to keep a spot warm until the deadline to allow some younger guys to play minutes in the AHL.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I bet you said the same thing when we traded for Nilsson and Namestnikov eh?

No. I liked the trade because I knew we could flip him at the deadline for a better return.
This doesnt sound like he is looking for a defender to flip but rather is taking this winning streak as a sign they should push for a playoff spot. Which is dumb.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
No. I liked the trade because I knew we could flip him at the deadline for a better return.
This doesnt sound like he is looking for a defender to flip but rather is taking this winning streak as a sign they should push for a playoff spot. Which is dumb.

It’s “interesting” that you read it that way given that one of the, like, three sentences in the paragraph specifies that he’s been looking for over a month...

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It’s “interesting” that you read it that way given that one of the, like, three sentences in the paragraph specifies that he’s been looking for over a month...

With where the team is currently at it makes no sense whatsover especially with how many d they have. Once Wolanin gets back they are going to need to trade one of the UFA's just to make room. If anytihng the sens should be exploring moving Demelo, Hainsey or Boro not adding. The direction of this franchise is taking is mind blowing and incredibly frusterating as a fan.

Reactions: Qward

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
It's interesting that you take anything Bruce "I spin for the Sens" Garrioch has to say at face value.

You realize that your initial comment does.... exactly the same thing, right?

With where the team is currently at it makes no sense whatsover especially with how many d they have. Once Wolanin gets back they are going to need to trade one of the UFA's just to make room. If anytihng the sens should be exploring moving Demelo, Hainsey or Boro not adding. The direction of this franchise is taking is mind blowing and incredibly frusterating as a fan.

How many D we have?

We have Chabot, DeMelo, Hainsey, and Boro as healthy regulars. Jaros & Lajoie as healthy "extras". Zaitsev on personal leave, Brannstrom and Goloubef hurt short term, Englund hurt, and Wolanin out until sometime between January and March.

That is 11 DMen. One of whom is out for at least 2 months and will likely take a while to get back up to game speed. You know teams usually carry 7 DMen? Well, we have 7 healthy ones spread out across two teams right now.

How do we have too many D?

No one - literally no one - is saying we should make a large move for a D. Dorion has made several trades like this in the past 12 months and they have mostly been very good pickups for negligible cost. This is about giving up a redundant player or a late-round pick in order to get a guy who can be a reasonable #7 D. Why does that blow your mind? We need more D. We don't have enough D under contract. Our depth in the AHL sucks. Is this news to anyone who follows this team?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Why do we need a new D? So what if we have to call up lower skill guys from AHL/ECHL. We should be tanking this year.
perhaps there is an opportunity to add a young D for cheaper like Risto or Fleury while also sending down Bran

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You realize that your initial comment does.... exactly the same thing, right?

How many D we have?

We have Chabot, DeMelo, Hainsey, and Boro as healthy regulars. Jaros & Lajoie as healthy "extras". Zaitsev on personal leave, Brannstrom and Goloubef hurt short term, Englund hurt, and Wolanin out until sometime between January and March.

That is 11 DMen. One of whom is out for at least 2 months and will likely take a while to get back up to game speed. You know teams usually carry 7 DMen? Well, we have 7 healthy ones spread out across two teams right now.

How do we have too many D?

No one - literally no one - is saying we should make a large move for a D. Dorion has made several trades like this in the past 12 months and they have mostly been very good pickups for negligible cost. This is about giving up a redundant player or a late-round pick in order to get a guy who can be a reasonable #7 D. Why does that blow your mind? We need more D. We don't have enough D under contract. Our depth in the AHL sucks. Is this news to anyone who follows this team?

The title of the article reads 'Sens looking to add to blue line'. Thats who said it. Literally in the headline.............

They have too many d because they have 11 d men. You literally wrote it in your post. Overall just an unbelievable comment on your behalf.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
The title of the article reads 'Sens looking to add to blue line'. Thats who said it. Literally in the headline.............

They have too many d because they have 11 d men. You literally wrote it in your post. Overall just an unbelievable comment on your behalf.

You are making no sense lol. You seem to struggle with reading comprehension.

The title said that the Sens are looking to make a large move for a D?!? No, it absolutely doesn't. Come on man.

11D is too many D?!?! I'll borrow from your book and say this: overall just an unbelievable comment on your behalf. We have 12 spots to fill... and that doesn't account for injuries and extra DMen. Also, newsflash, that is literally the least amount of DMen under contract by any team in the league - by a large margin. Every other team has at least 13 DMen under contract (because, you know, every team has 12 spots to fill (for more information, you can do some research ).

So, bert, does every team in the league have too many D? Because 20 teams have at least 15D under contract, 26 teams have at least 14D under contract, and 30 teams have at least 13D. Only one team, the Ottawa Senators, the team you say has too many D, has fewer than 11D under contract. Again, bert, I'll use your own statement: overall just an unbelievable comment on your behalf.

I don't know why I even bother lol....

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You are making no sense lol. You seem to struggle with reading comprehension.

The title said that the Sens are looking to make a large move for a D?!? No, it absolutely doesn't. Come on man.

11D is too many D?!?! I'll borrow from your book and say this: overall just an unbelievable comment on your behalf. We have 12 spots to fill... and that doesn't account for injuries and extra DMen. Also, newsflash, that is literally the least amount of DMen under contract by any team in the league - by a large margin. Every other team has at least 13 DMen under contract (because, you know, every team has 12 spots to fill (for more information, you can do some research ).

So, bert, does every team in the league have too many D? Because 20 teams have at least 15D under contract, 26 teams have at least 14D under contract, and 30 teams have at least 13D. Only one team, the Ottawa Senators, the team you say has too many D, has fewer than 11D under contract. Again, bert, I'll use your own statement: overall just an unbelievable comment on your behalf.

I don't know why I even bother lol....

First of all I never said or suggested they make a large move for a D man. Not once, you said it. I said they shouldnt be making a move for a D man thats it thats all, thats the title of the thread. You quoted the post I said that in. Its truly incredible that you bring reading comprehension into the debate when thats exactly what you struggled with.

I see now you have back tracked into suggesting its 12 D men between the NHL and AHL franchise which again you dont need to have 12 under contract they have an ECHL affiliate to call players up from and players on AHL contracts which includes. Murray, Corrado, Labrie, and Dougherty. The fact that you dont even understand or can wrap your head around this concept is shocking.

The team is at 48 contracts in a rebuilding year adding players to the NHL roster makes no sense especially giving up assets for them. They have players to unload and they literally have 11 d men that have played time in the NHL currently under contract. Chabot, Demelo, Borowiecki, Hainsey, Zaitsev, Brannstrom, Golobef, Wolanin, Jaros, Lajoie and Englund. Wasting assets on a rebuilding year to add a D man is nonsensicle.

I dont know why you even bother posting, couldnt agree more.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Matt Benning please take himm so Tippett stops playing him top four

Tippett hasn't played him once in the top 4 this season even with the injuries.

With that said, he'd be a good trade candidate considering how well he has played on the bottom pairing. Would Ottawa consider a Benning for Tierney swap?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad