Speculation: Sens, Lebreton, and the NCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
And if a minority partner doesn't have any pull (as they usually don't have much) Melynk can put all that extra money into his own pocket and still cry poor.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for someone to come in as a minority partner...unless they simply like giving away money. Only way a smart person would come in, is by having a majority stake in the team. You need to wrestle control away from Melynk, otherwise any cash infusion is worthless.

C'mon, this is not how partnerships work, like at all. That's why you write up a contract, all dealings and expectations are drawn up on how the business will be run.

Reactions: pzeeman and coladin

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I’ll chock it up to hyperbole.

But yeah you definitely can’t be sued for leaking confidential information unless you’re party to some kind of confidentiality agreement. These aren’t state secrets lol.

I agree, but you can jeopardize the process. We do not know what is going on behind the scenes and if word gets out, other suitors may come in, or perhaps other debts may surface. All this to say one has to be careful is the gist of it. But if I do get sued I know where I can find a lawyer, and great food/wine reviews!:laugh:

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
My guess?

A minority partner would leave Melnyk in charge, at least as a figurehead, and he'll now get to (or be told to) spend the partner's money. This would mean everyone who has called Melnyk cheap would have to eat their words.

Of course, we'd all be smart enough to see that he's spending other people's money. He's still not spending his own cash. No words will be eaten.

But once again, I don't know anything. I'm just speculating on a completely made up assumption that a (minority) partner is coming.

Pure speculation, but I think it would absolutely be the other way around. He would definitely be the silent controlling partner type, Horn Chen lol, while new partners will be the "face" of the franchise. The brand can reinvent itself with new fan confidence, new leaders, while Melnyk can focus on Lebreton.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
300m to remove team debt, 49% stake and leaves Uncle Euge with 60-80m to fund part of Lebreton, other own needs to kick in the same.

Team debt removed likely equals profit on top of what money will be made from NCC. If Euge stays he has to be in the background. If the rumours of an real estate family I can see no possible way that Euge focuses on the development of Lebreton, that would be the other partners bread and butter so hopefully Euge is sitting on a beach getting drunk without twitter or a telephone.

Reactions: NB613 and pzeeman

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
And if a minority partner doesn't have any pull (as they usually don't have much) Melynk can put all that extra money into his own pocket and still cry poor.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for someone to come in as a minority partner...unless they simply like giving away money. Only way a smart person would come in, is by having a majority stake in the team. You need to wrestle control away from Melynk, otherwise any cash infusion is worthless.

Jeff Hunt brought pennies to OSEG, but he was the face of the franchise while the money was and remains in the background. This family will bring a lot of money , but I think the strategy has to be a public one as well as Melnyk is persona non grata.

Reactions: NB613

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Pure speculation, but I think it would absolutely be the other way around. He would definitely be the silent controlling partner type, Horn Chen lol, while new partners will be the "face" of the franchise. The brand can reinvent itself with new fan confidence, new leaders, while Melnyk can focus on Lebreton.

Melnyk silent? :laugh:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Jeff Hunt brought pennies to OSEG, but he was the face of the franchise while the money was and remains in the background. This family will bring a lot of money , but I think the strategy has to be a public one as well as Melnyk is persona non grata.

Not sure how long fans can wait. Patience is obviously running very thin with this organization. Most are at the point where they may not even watch games on TV anymore. I am at the point that they should just go ahead and move the franchise, heck, even fold it if you have to.

Someone needs to get in front of a microphone and FAST to at least make an attempt at restoring any sort of faith in this organization.

Reactions: Marnie and Rand0m

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
. If the rumours of an real estate family I can see no possible way that Euge focuses on the development of Lebreton, that would be the other partners bread and butter so hopefully Euge is sitting on a beach getting drunk without twitter or a telephone.

That would not be good for his liver.

oh wait..

Reactions: NB613

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Not sure how long fans can wait. Patience is obviously running very thin with this organization. Most are at the point where they may not even watch games on TV anymore. I am at the point that they should just go ahead and move the franchise, heck, even fold it if you have to.

Someone needs to get in front of a microphone and FAST to at least make an attempt at restoring any sort of faith in this organization.

How can you be a fan of a team and hope they move or fold?

I mean I'm sick of the crap too, but I really don't get this line of thinking.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I agree, but you can jeopardize the process. We do not know what is going on behind the scenes and if word gets out, other suitors may come in, or perhaps other debts may surface. All this to say one has to be careful is the gist of it. But if I do get sued I know where I can find a lawyer, and great food/wine reviews!:laugh:

Yeah I was just poking fun.

NDAs are an extremely boring and monotonous part of my day-to-day, so I was almost wishing I could see one with a crazy liquidated damages clause like that to give me a chuckle.

Reactions: coladin

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Just thought of this, what if any potential ownership big involves taking over all the debt and buying the current arena? Sens get rid of a redundant asset, real estate developer makes something good of it, debt is gone, money to spend on Lebreton and hopefully the team

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Sure, but the person he learned this information from has a high likelihood of being subject to the NDA. And these circles are small so it doesn't take a lot to trace it back.

And that person wouldn't likely be sued.. just blackballed.
Spoken like someone who actually gets it.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
C'mon, this is not how partnerships work, like at all. That's why you write up a contract, all dealings and expectations are drawn up on how the business will be run.

But still, there is limited pull as a minority partner. You can write up a contract, but when a lunatic is in control, you can pretty much kiss your money goodbye.

The best solution for all involved, is for Melynk to retain 20% of the team. That's a nice number where he can give his kids 10% shares in his will, he still has the prestige of being an NHL owner, and he can go back to Barbados and do whatever while the real owners run the team the way they see fit.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
But still, there is limited pull as a minority partner. You can write up a contract, but when a lunatic is in control, you can pretty much kiss your money goodbye.

"Pull" has very little to do with contracts. Contracts are in place exactly so that partners aren't kissing money goodbye. It's as simple as that, your scenario does not exist in the business world.

Reactions: coladin

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
"Pull" has very little to do with contracts. Contracts are in place exactly so that partners aren't kissing money goodbye. It's as simple as that, your scenario does not exist in the business world.
Melnyk is toxic to his product.

Any deal that sees him retain more than 49% of ownership is lighting the money on fire. This fanbase is done with this clown.

He can go into the background as a minority stakeholder, but there is no way any other deal works in this marketplace.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013

The best solution for all involved, is for Melynk to retain 20% of the team. That's a nice number where he can give his kids 10% shares in his will, he still has the prestige of being an NHL owner, and he can go back to Barbados and do whatever while the real owners run the team the way they see fit.

He means that a partnership agreement would govern the business relationship. This isn’t a publicly traded company - you’d have to think of it more like a JV. Control would be determined by the terms of the contract. Very likely that the minority partner would have consent rights to all business decisions even if the majority partner (Melnyk) retained a larger share of the venture’s profits.

This all assumes that Melnyk would be willing to give such a consent right away, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad