Speculation: Sens, Lebreton, and the NCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Any chance the reason the Sens haven't extended their key guys is because of the ownership uncertainty/impending change? I mean, if this was in the process of being done it might mean a freeze on committing big money to players?

I would say it's in the realm of reasonable suppositions , along with theories like:

Key guys haven't extended because they too are waiting out the shitshow.

Reactions: Daffy

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Not the Mieirins, not the dilawari group either. Boy you people are very creative! Rest assured, the pockets are deep and hopefully this will turn the negative nellies and EM haters on their heads.
How would this turn EM haters on their heads? Are we supposed to believe that him selling a share of the team is for altruistic reasons or something?

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Any chance the reason the Sens haven't extended their key guys is because of the ownership uncertainty/impending change? I mean, if this was in the process of being done it might mean a freeze on committing big money to players?

So they allow their most productive forward to go to arbitration? That would be very reckless.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
That's what i'm thinking, combined with the pr gag order thats been on since the deadline, something else is going on.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
How would this turn EM haters on their heads? Are we supposed to believe that him selling a share of the team is for altruistic reasons or something?

He's pulling stuff out of his ass.

We all know an ownership change is coming sooner or later. We've all had that inkling for nearly 2 years now. He's playing on that tidbit of knowledge to push crap to get the folks in here jumping up and down like trained dogs.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

We all know an ownership change is coming sooner or later. We've all had that inkling for nearly 2 years now. He's playing on that tidbit of knowledge to push crap to get the folks in here jumping up and down like trained dogs.

You figured it out!

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
From a previous post in this thread.

No amount of wishful thinking, praying or making up rumours and spinning them on your part, is going to provoke Eugene Melnyk into selling the Senators franchise, and bailing on the Lebreton Flats deal he's worked so long and hard at.

There is just to much upside and profit to abandon this project, while he is standing on third base, with no one out, with the bases loaded ........... home-plate is clearly in his sights.

Your hero is going down in flames...

There you go, putting words in my mouth ........ I've never said EM was anyone's hero ......but you're playing a game, right?

mysens

Apr 9, 2013

Right. I have a great ass. Thanks. You just can not handle that someone is linked to such information. Just ignore me. Save yourself from swallowing your own venom.

Reactions: coladin and Marnie

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
So given this rumour, and the implication of the cash that it would give the team/EM, all this quiet and inactivity makes sense. With this path, everyone important is still with the team for the next 11 months, giving the new ownership group a chance to set the table the way it wants, and spend what it wants.

This means that even if on opening day 2018, Karlsson, Stone,m and Duchene are set to become a UFA on July 1, 2019, I won’t panic.

Reactions: NB613 and coladin

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
So given this rumour, and the implication of the cash that it would give the team/EM, all this quiet and inactivity makes sense. With this path, everyone important is still with the team for the next 11 months, giving the new ownership group a chance to set the table the way it wants, and spend what it wants.

This means that even if on opening day 2018, Karlsson, Stone,m and Duchene are set to become a UFA on July 1, 2019, I won’t panic.

I agree, pzee, except that it seems kind of short-sighted to drag Stone through arbitration, possibly poisoning the well for him and other players, and hoping to reconcile during the season.

Reactions: Chezzz

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I agree, pzee, except that it seems kind of short-sighted to drag Stone through arbitration, possibly poisoning the well for him and other players, and hoping to reconcile during the season.

All players would welcome a change in ownership and would understand that the timing of a team sales transaction might make it impossible for Dorion to negotiate right now.

Not sure how that could be held against the team in the real negotiations between EK/Stone/Duchene and the Sens to take place later on.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
I have a feeling that the team didn’t put Ceci through the Tommy Salo wringer, and won’t/can’t do that to Stone. Stone will be awarded between 7 and 8 and the team will be fine with that.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
It's like he's almost talking out of his ass or something

I’ll chock it up to hyperbole.

But yeah you definitely can’t be sued for leaking confidential information unless you’re party to some kind of confidentiality agreement. These aren’t state secrets lol.

Reactions: branch

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I have a feeling that the team didn’t put Ceci through the Tommy Salo wringer, and won’t/can’t do that to Stone. Stone will be awarded between 7 and 8 and the team will be fine with that.

The Team should want to reach a multi year agreement before arbitration, or if they go to arbitration, before a ruling comes down. This is the only way they can avoid a 1 year contract being imposed, and increasing the possibility that Stone is on the route to becoming an UFA.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands

But yeah you definitely can’t be sued for leaking confidential information unless you’re party to some kind of confidentiality agreement. These aren’t state secrets lol.

Sure, but the person he learned this information from has a high likelihood of being subject to the NDA. And these circles are small so it doesn't take a lot to trace it back.

And that person wouldn't likely be sued.. just blackballed.

Reactions: coladin

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Sure, but the person he learned this information from has a high likelihood of being subject to the NDA. And these circles are small so it doesn't take a lot to trace it back.

And that person wouldn't likely be sued.. just blackballed.

Oh yeah for sure, the original leaker could be under contract.

No chance in hell they get dinged with $200M in damages though lol.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

Sure but his source is probably heavenly involved and is part of an NDA?

The one this I don't get is the

"this will turn the negative nellies and EM haters on their heads"

Does this state that EM is staying and somehow the haters were in the wrong and he will come out looking like an angel from this?

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Sure but his source is probably heavenly involved and is part of an NDA?

The one this I don't get is the

"this will turn the negative nellies and EM haters on their heads"

Does this state that EM is staying and somehow the haters were in the wrong and he will come out looking like an angel from this?
My guess?

A minority partner would leave Melnyk in charge, at least as a figurehead, and he'll now get to (or be told to) spend the partner's money. This would mean everyone who has called Melnyk cheap would have to eat their words.

Of course, we'd all be smart enough to see that he's spending other people's money. He's still not spending his own cash. No words will be eaten.

But once again, I don't know anything. I'm just speculating on a completely made up assumption that a (minority) partner is coming.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
My guess?

A minority partner would leave Melnyk in charge, at least as a figurehead, and he'll now get to (or be told to) spend the partner's money. This would mean everyone who has called Melnyk cheap would have to eat their words.

Of course, we'd all be smart enough to see that he's spending other people's money. He's still not spending his own cash. No words will be eaten.

But once again, I don't know anything. I'm just speculating on a completely made up assumption that a (minority) partner is coming.
Why would a minority partner agree to fund for Melnyk?

No one would prop up an owner that was this toxic to his product.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
My guess?

And if a minority partner doesn't have any pull (as they usually don't have much) Melynk can put all that extra money into his own pocket and still cry poor.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for someone to come in as a minority partner...unless they simply like giving away money. Only way a smart person would come in, is by having a majority stake in the team. You need to wrestle control away from Melynk, otherwise any cash infusion is worthless.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
And if a minority partner doesn't have any pull (as they usually don't have much) Melynk can put all that extra money into his own pocket and still cry poor.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for someone to come in as a minority partner...unless they simply like giving away money. Only way a smart person would come in, is by having a majority stake in the team. You need to wrestle control away from Melynk, otherwise any cash infusion is worthless.
Yup.

So in summary, the "Melnyk isn't selling" cadre on this board has been clueless, but will never admit the truth.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer

*shrug* Could be part of whatever the agreement is that the partner's contributions go to hockey ops. Like an agreement written up that $x is spent, where x is some percent of the cap, and Melnyk puts in (0.501)x and the partner adds (0.499)x, and Melnyk agrees to shut up. I broke it down in a post in this thread yesterday.

I'm trying to reconcile rumours, contracts and previous statements.
- A minority partner allows Uncle Euge to say he still "owns" the team, which he said he's never sell.
- A cash infusion allows for the stability promised by the "insiders" already in this thread.
- An agreement as above also allows for an end to the instability that I'm sure the rest of RLG is actually losing sleep over.
- An owner (group?) in flux provides a reason for this offseason so far, besides the team management being buffoons.

You're right that just buying in with no strings likely ends up just putting money in Melnyk's bank account.

And of course I'll end all of this as usual by stating that I know nothing of business, which might have been obvious already.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Sounds sensible, and the Stone contract makes even more sense as stability is on the horizon. Just not now, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad