Speculation: Sens, Lebreton, and the NCC part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Ok, so the city didn't do it's job. Fair enough. It's the first time in modern history (and several healthy playoff appearances and runs).

On the other hand, as per the bolded.... EXACTLY. And don't you think the parade of star players leaving, being traded away, mismanaged, etc. is a DIRECT contributor to attendance/ support? Not to mention a complete lack of investment in front office (scouting), removal of key players (Mlakar, Leeder, Alfie, Marshys, Slewidge, etc. etc.), shoestring budgets for coaches (when was the last time we hired a bonafide NHL coach? Oh, right... Bryan Murray, who took us to the FINALS).

It takes money to make money.

I get your point. I don't see a parade of stars leaving yet, but those decisions are impacted by lack of revenues. Those decisions are also impacted on player relationships with coaches, teammates, management. It would be simple to make Melnyk the scapegoat for everything details the team.

He isn't. There are many who share the blame.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I don't share that point of view with regards that people will go if there is hope, but I do appreciate some feel that way.

The former absolutely could help with the latter, but fans showing up like the rest of country would help management do what it needs to do as well.

I am not onboard with a rebuild. So the hope card for me is a non starter.

With a promising owner/management at the top it brings encouragement. The way I see it, it’s similar to one going to work everyday and dealing with a terrible boss. In this case, the person still goes as they have to make a living, but likely will keep looking for another opportunity, as no matter how hard the person works, the boss will remain terrible. Not quite the same situation obviously, but nonetheless, a good example. If the boss is replaced by someone with a good attitude and a positive outlook, it reflects on the employee who, in return, will start enjoying going to work everyday and likely stop looking for a different option.

I’m not liking the idea of a rebuild either, but that’s what taking place, or at the very least, a retool. If we’re going through that, and we are, wouldn’t you rather go through it with a solid and promising owner who brings a feeling of trust and respect towards the fans or what we currently have? Personally, I would feel much more encouraged with the previous. I can’t speak for everyone of course, but I’d be willing to bet that most fans would feel the same.

Reactions: Sensung

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What was it last year
Scanlan had an article that had an estimate of 8000 for last year

The Senators only get about half their season ticket support (roughly 4,000 of an estimated 8,000 season ticket holders) from corporate outlets.

Scanlan: A breakdown of the Senators attendance issues in a challenging market

8000 season tickets is really bad, considering we used to sell between 10,000 and 13,000 most years (13500 being the teams record, and we were). Attendance was down and a big part of that is the drop in season tickets, if it's true that we're heading for 6700 this year, it's going to be pretty sad this year.

Here's what I was able to find on Season ticket sales when I searched last;

2007-0813000-13500
2008-09~10000
2009-10Unavailable
2010-1110000
2011-1211300
2012-13pacing at ~13000 in june, Up 15% at the same time last year, but I doubt they hit 13000 given there was the lockout that year,or maybe that helps, idk
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Of note, 2007-08 and 12-13 were both following really strong years and fans were really excited for the future. 2017-18 with it's 8000 tickets seems an outlier given the run we had, but when you look at the offseason losing Methot, and MacArthur with no replacement, it was harder to get excited than in 2008 for example

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Dude relax. He's established his cred with the mods and he has been stead fast since the start that he can't/won't reveal the family. A few posters around here have been serious dicks about it and so he's giving you guys the gears a bit in response.

The truth is that there are several ungrateful and entitled posters in here that no one would feel good sharing info with. Just because you lack patience doesn't make it a mysens problem, and given some of the attitudes around here, you're getting exactly what you deserve from him.

Just as an aside, breaching someones confidence doesn't take "balls", it takes a lack of integrity.

Dude came in here, acting like a complete jerk and looking down at everyone and trying to be a big shot.

When someone acts that way, I'll treat them that way.

Besides, this isn't the 'mysens' forum and it's not all about him. I clearly said dozens to hundreds of people in the city have been spreading this rumor claiming to be insiders...yet none of these people apparently want to say anything substantial? This is the trade deadline rumorfest all over again.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Gatineau will always prefer the Habs.

Quebecers are brainwashed into it. I am just lucky I did not grow up in Canada or else I'd probably be a Habs fan.

False. I was born into a hardcore Habs fan family and managed to sneak away to the dark side.

If the Sens were seen as a franco/anglo team, as in, not just Ottawa but Outaouais, they'd get a lot more Quebs on their side, or at least get some Habs fans to cheer for both teams. The team being in Lebreton will go a long way in changing the perception, but they'll have to start marketing themselves just as strongly in Gatineau. If(and that's a big IF), new ownership is comprised partly or fully of francos, that'll seal the deal.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Dude came in here, acting like a complete jerk and looking down at everyone and trying to be a big shot.

When someone acts that way, I'll treat them that way.

Besides, this isn't the 'mysens' forum and it's not all about him. I clearly said dozens to hundreds of people in the city have been spreading this rumor claiming to be insiders...yet none of these people apparently want to say anything substantial? This is the trade deadline rumorfest all over again.

The guy you're responding to enjoys putting everyone down while standing up for some anonymous jerk. I wouldn't bother.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Was told by one of my two connections in non high faluting land that seasons tickets renewals were about 6800.
Yikkesssss

This seems to high... If accurate our fan base is as much to blame for this circus lasting this long

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
This seems to high... If accurate our fan base is as much to blame for this circus lasting this long
Agreed, the cash cow members of the fanbase, who fork over their money no matter how abysmal our owner behaves, have made this situation much worse.

If the Sens were sitting at under 2,000 season tickets like Eugene deserves then he'd already be out the door.

Reactions: TheNewEra

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I’m not going to get into it, but wasn’t a deal supposed to be done two weeks after the SCF ended or something?

I guess my point is that suddenly, 100 forum members seem to be insiders saying a deal is in the works. Mysens or whatever could be different, he could be right. But I’m sceptical right now.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
You really believe that investors are going to plunk down massive amounts of money to have Melnyk continue to retain management control based on the wonderful job he's done running this team into the ground and his toxic relationship with the fanbase?

REALLY?

I mean, yeah.

I’m just basing this off the rumours and general inclinations. But sounds like the folks coming in are doing so because this is a strategic time to get a chunk of that sweet, sweet Lebreton money and presumably a spike in asset value. They aren’t just die-hard Sens fans looking to save the day and spend until the cows come home lol.

Melnyk will argue that he has the experience, connections and know-how to maintain his current hands-on position, and that the only reason things have gotten so bad is because of the lack of liquidity.

This doesn’t sound like a hostile takeover of the team or a “we need to push Melnyk out” situation. And in that context it makes sense to have a “money man” like these new folks while existing management (Melnyk) continues to call the shots.

Again, just my hunch.

Reactions: coladin and DrEasy

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I mean, yeah.

I’m just basing this off the rumours and general inclinations. But sounds like the folks coming in are doing so because this is a strategic time to get a chunk of that sweet, sweet Lebreton money and presumably a spike in asset value. They aren’t just die-hard Sens fans looking to save the day and spend until the cows come home lol.

Melnyk will argue that he has the experience, connections and know-how to maintain his current hands-on position, and that the only reason things have gotten so bad is because of the lack of liquidity.

This doesn’t sound like a hostile takeover of the team or a “we need to push Melnyk out” situation. And in that context it makes sense to have a “money man” like these new folks while existing management (Melnyk) continues to call the shots.

Again, just my hunch.
If that is the case, the investors coming in have far more money than brains.

Melnyk can be a minority partner who fades into the background and is never heard from again. That plan could be sold in this marketplace, but there is zero chance of running a successful Sens franchise with Melnyk still in charge.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
If that is the case, the investors coming in have far more money than brains.

Melnyk can be a minority partner who fades into the background and is never heard from again. That plan could be sold in this marketplace, but there is zero chance of running a successful Sens franchise with Melnyk still in charge.

I’d forgive him prettty quick if he started spending to the cap and hired a respectable front office. I imagine many people hold a similar opinion.

And I think this is a pretty savvy time to invest. Melnyk is hurting and needs the money, and the franchise looks terrible at the moment, so the price is probably right. Then you add in the Lebreton deal. Seems like investors buying into a venture at the low point because they see future growth opportunities. Nothing stupid about that.

Melnyk is not going to be forced out of the picture. The dude has an ego and he likes owning a hockey team, clearly (despite what he might say on that matter).

Reactions: DrEasy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Still not sure why the word "entitled" keeps getting thrown around here. You do know what that means? Pretty hard to know if someone is "entitled" from a message board.

It comes from people getting angry at someone for not sharing more personal knowledge than they are comfortable sharing. Acting as though for some reason you deserve to know more and that person is being lame for not sharing more. That's what I mean. It's pretty much text book entitlement. It doesn't mean it's a universal character trait of the poster, but more that the poster is acting that way.

Hope that makes sense because it happens almost every time someone shares 'insider' info.,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad