Post-Game Talk: Sens/Leafs: Eric Brewer 1000th NHL game but lose 5-3 [converted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Take heart in this perspective: the Sens didn't win the game - the Leafs lost it! (just as we needed)

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
yeah, plus they technically havent won any cups. we've got 13 :D (regardless of how long ago it was)

The Ottawa Senators won the cup in 1920, yes 95 years ago, but they have won. It was in the same era when Toronto was the St Pats. Toronto St Pats won 2 cup and Toronto Maple Leafs won 11. The modern day Ottawa Senators have never won, neither have the Canucks, which is surprising how a team that has been in the league for over 45 years and never won cup doesn't seem to get the jokes that the Leafs do.

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
The Ottawa Senators won the cup in 1920, yes 95 years ago, but they have won. It was in the same era when Toronto was the St Pats. Toronto St Pats won 2 cup and Toronto Maple Leafs won 11. The modern day Ottawa Senators have never won, neither have the Canucks, which is surprising how a team that has been in the league for over 45 years and never won cup doesn't seem to get the jokes that the Leafs do.

The cups won back then aren't considered to belong to the existing Senators franchise, something I've said to Sens fans for many, many years :laugh:.

And I really don't get how Vancouver doesn't take more flak...I guess because they've at least made it to the finals.
Still, I can understand Oilers, Flames, and especially Habs fans making fun of the Leafs, but I can't see how Sens, Canucks or Jets fans can.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Well Vancouver has won too but a very long time, 100 years ago.

Vancouver Millionaires

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver_Millionaires

The Vancouver Millionaires (later known as the Vancouver Maroons) were a professional ice hockey team that competed in the Pacific Coast Hockey Association and the Western Canada Hockey League between 1911 and 1926. Based out of Vancouver, British Columbia, they played in Denman Arena, the first artificial ice surface in Canada and the largest indoor ice rink in the world.[1]

The Millionaires/Maroons succeeded as PCHA champions six times (1915, 1918, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924) and won the Stanley Cup once, in 1915, against the Ottawa Senators of the NHA.

Their jerseys were maroon, featuring a white V with "Vancouver" spelled down one side of the V and up the other. Hall of Famers Fred "Cyclone" Taylor, Mickey MacKay and Didier Pitre were among the most significant players to don the Millionaires/Maroons uniform in the team's history.

On October 1, 2010, the Vancouver Canucks president and management officially announced that the Vancouver Canucks had purchased the rights to logos, jerseys and trademarks of the Vancouver Millionaires.

On March 16, 2013, the Vancouver Canucks wore the jerseys of the Vancouver Millionaires in a game against the Detroit Red Wings. They did so again on March 2, 2014 in the 2014 Heritage Classic against the Ottawa Senators

Last edited:

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
And the Sens are going to be laughing at the Leafs for a long time, because they are going to be good for a longggg time. They are a prime example of how to draft and develop properly.

Stone- 6th round pick
Pageau- 4th round pick
Hoffman- 5th round pick
Condra- 7th round pick

4 quality forwards found with mid-late round picks, these picks are throw aways for the Leafs. They put us to shame.

Holland even says they struck lightning with Dats and Zets.
As everyone says, its a crap shoot.
Condra is not held in high esteem, the rest took a long time to develop.

But you know what I see: Brown=Stone
Both 6th rounders.....one scores more though.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
Well Vancouver has won too but a very long time, 100 years ago.

Vancouver Millionaires

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver_Millionaires
Those don't count. There is nothing tying the modern teams to them. It's not like the management group from those teams remained, laying in wait, until they got another team to operate many dacades later.

But that doesn't stop those modern franchises from milkilng those teams for all their worth. It comes off so desperate and pathetic.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
And the Sens are going to be laughing at the Leafs for a long time, because they are going to be good for a longggg time. They are a prime example of how to draft and develop properly.

Stone- 6th round pick
Pageau- 4th round pick
Hoffman- 5th round pick
Condra- 7th round pick

4 quality forwards found with mid-late round picks, these picks are throw aways for the Leafs. They put us to shame.

no they are not from the bolded... they don't have a 1c, there 1D is a rover whose terrible defensively, and they don't have a #1G right now either, Hammond is on a hot streak at a time with nothing to lose for him personally being an Injury call up, and has no pressure on him. there basically stuck right where we have been for the last 5 years, unless they make some significant moves.

EDDIE20*

no they are not from the bolded... they don't have a 1c, there 1D is a rover whose terrible defensively, and they don't have a #1G right now either, Hammond is on a hot streak at a time with nothing to lose for him personally being an Injury call up, and has no pressure on him. there basically stuck right where we have been for the last 5 years, unless they make some significant moves.

Hammond's hot streak has a lot to do with it right now. Say Lehner doesn't get injured, are the Sens this close to a wild card spot?

Rufio65*

Wow.. Just wow. Some people just can't call a spade, a spade.

Mika Zibanejad is on his way to being a bonafide number one center, he is turning 22 in a month, is a big body and is producing. Karlsson can't play defense? His Norris trophy says otherwise, he is playing GREAT, and is arguably the best dman in the league right now. Craig Anderson and Lehner are better than either of our goalies. Their goaltending is not a problem, at all.

Mark Stone
Zibanejad
Turris
Hoffman
Lazar
Puempel
Bobby Ryan
Pageau
Nick Paul
Clark MacArthur

Karlsson
Ceci
Methot

Yeah.. What a terrible looking core.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertHombre

Oct 10, 2013
Ottawa is playing like Calgary is right now. Both teams obviously have a cohesive group of players who gel on and off the ice. They stick up for each other, play with pride and are enjoying themselves and having fun.
The Leafs on the other hand are doing none of the above.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Rob Longley @longleysunsport
No imminent return for #Leafs C Peter Holland. Injury seems worse than first suspected.

catgoldfish

Nov 15, 2004
British Columbia
Didn't even hear Bozak or kessels name last night. Only one from the top line mentioned was Van Reimsjerk. Can't believe our top line now looks like any other teams fourth line. Would love to see us rid ourselves of

1. Kessel
2. Lupul
3. Bozak
4. Smith
5. Both of our goalies

In that order. Kessel looks like he just don't care no more. Bozak follows what Kessel does. Lupul cares but is too old and fragile to play in this league. Smith is just Smith no skill. And our goalies can't stop a beach ball. Still like Phaneuf and most of the dmen. But Gardiner and Erixon young still but prone to turnovers. Love Macwilliam. Brewer is playing ok as well as Rielly. Man our lineup next year if we get rid of those players looks very bad. Who's available this summer as a UFA?

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Playing Bozak/JVR/Kessel 23 mins tonight just lol... Playing TREVOR SMITH 21:30 tonight just lol...
Dat dreadful centre depth. With Kadri suspended and Holland injured, someone had to make up the difference for their ice time. I would rather give those minutes to Leo Komarov and Sam Carrick though. Trevor Smith has had plenty of opportunity this season as a full-time NHLer. And he hasn't shown anything other than his ability to win face-offs. I can't wait until Frederik Gauthier joins the Leafs. The Leafs badly need a shutdown 3C.

JVR/Bozak/Kessel need to be split up or given a lesser role on the 5v5. I read an article the other day arguing that these three should not be split up because their bad habits could rub off on the rest of the team (makes sense). So perhaps the solution is to shrink their role on the 5v5 instead of splitting them up.

To be fair though, Top 6 forwards tend to not be very good at defense. Out of the top 180 forwards in PPTOI (top 6 * 30 = 180), only 48 rank among the top 240 skaters in SHTOI (2 units * 4 skaters * 30 teams = 240).

So less than 27% of top 6 forwards actually play regularly on the PK unit. What does that tell you? Top 6 forwards are not brought in to play two-way hockey. They are brought in to score and set up goals. Bottom 6 forwards are brought in to play defense and kill penalties. If Phil Kessel and James van Riemsdyk played on a team with good defense, you probably wouldn't hear so much criticism directed towards them.

The biggest hole that the Leafs have is in defense. Dion Phaneuf is not suited to his role on the team. Roman Polak is a bottom pair quality defenseman at best. Stephane Robidas is over-the-hill. Eric Brewer sucks. Tim Erixon and Andrew MacWilliam haven't found their footing yet. Toronto Management for whatever reason saw fit to send TJ Brennan back to the minors.

Last edited:

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Was at the game last night and I have to say... Eric Brewer is the worst defenceman to play for the Leafs in a long time. He's so unbelievably bad, it's great for the tank

BayStBully

Dec 7, 2010
Toronto

Yikes. Get a clue. Probably on the way to his second Norris trophy.

Ottawa is well in front of us in terms of their core, which is young and has a lot of promise.

Tyler Biggs*

What the hell happened to the battle of Ontario??? Now we have so called Leaf fans saying it's ok to lose to the Senators cause they have a chance at the playoffs, what's next, cheering for the Habs?? Wtf. This league is not about Canada vs the U.S. So stop with the ooh my Leafs suck so I'm gonna cheer for one of our top rivals cause they're a Canadian team. Wagon jumpers.

tamle

Nov 13, 2013
What the hell happened to the battle of Ontario??? Now we have so called Leaf fans saying it's ok to lose to the Senators cause they have a chance at the playoffs, what's next, cheering for the Habs?? Wtf. This league is not about Canada vs the U.S. So stop with the ooh my Leafs suck so I'm gonna cheer for one of our top rivals cause they're a Canadian team. Wagon jumpers.

:laugh: supporter of one media gimmick ("battle of ontario") and in the same paragraph bash supporters of another media gimmick? :help:

We can cheer for whoever we like. Worse of the two evils. Bruins or Sens? We just hate the Bruins more. And as a Blue Jays fan, I also hate the Boston Red Sox with a passion after the dissing John Farrel did to our city. So we cheer for Sens to knock Bruins out of the playoffs. Plus it helps our tank as well, since we'll play them for two more times.

Durkin67

:laugh: supporter of one media gimmick ("battle of ontario") and in the same paragraph bash supporters of another media gimmick? :help:

We can cheer for whoever we like. Worse of the two evils. Bruins or Sens? We just hate the Bruins more. And as a Blue Jays fan, I also hate the Boston Red Sox with a passion after the dissing John Farrel did to our city. So we cheer for Sens to knock Bruins out of the playoffs. Plus it helps our tank as well, since we'll play them for two more times.

Cheer for the Sens? never. Not under any circumstance. Can't, won't do it. Ever.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Didn't even hear Bozak or kessels name last night. Only one from the top line mentioned was Van Reimsjerk. Can't believe our top line now looks like any other teams fourth line. Would love to see us rid ourselves of

1. Kessel
2. Lupul
3. Bozak
4. Smith
5. Both of our goalies

In that order. Kessel looks like he just don't care no more. Bozak follows what Kessel does. Lupul cares but is too old and fragile to play in this league. Smith is just Smith no skill. And our goalies can't stop a beach ball. Still like Phaneuf and most of the dmen. But Gardiner and Erixon young still but prone to turnovers. Love Macwilliam. Brewer is playing ok as well as Rielly. Man our lineup next year if we get rid of those players looks very bad. Who's available this summer as a UFA?

You don't actually watch the games do you?

Let's go in order here:

Kessel and Bozak weren't mentioned? Well you might have missed the goal where Kessel threw a hit....bump really... that led to the turnover that led directly to a goal. Possibly his name was mentioned then.

Lupul has 0 goals and 2 assists in 2015. He possibly won't reach 20 points this season. I don't mean he might not put up 20 points from January 1st 2015 until the end of the season, I mean, from October, through the team's 82 games, he might not reach the 20 point tally. He's sure as hell putting in his effort!

Gardiner and Erixon are young and prone to turnovers. They're both 24. Gardiner has been in the league long enough for anyone to have made their judgement on him, he is what he is.

Erixon is on his 3rd team this season. We picked him up on waivers. That doesn't instill any confidence in the guy whatsoever.

And you honestly believe that Brewer has been ok?

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Wow.. Just wow. Some people just can't call a spade, a spade.

Mika Zibanejad is on his way to being a bonafide number one center, he is turning 22 in a month, is a big body and is producing. Karlsson can't play defense? His Norris trophy says otherwise, he is playing GREAT, and is arguably the best dman in the league right now. Craig Anderson and Lehner are better than either of our goalies. Their goaltending is not a problem, at all.

Mark Stone
Zibanejad
Turris
Hoffman
Lazar
Puempel
Bobby Ryan
Pageau
Nick Paul
Clark MacArthur

Karlsson
Ceci
Methot

Yeah.. What a terrible looking core.

That really is a terrible core relative to good NHL cores. They have some good young players in there like Hoffman, Stone, Ceci and Zibanejad but none of them have elite potential. Their goaltending will fall back to earth once Hammond inevitably collapses (and he will, he has no previous track record that shows it's anything more than a flukey streak) and their D isn't very good either. Unless they go out and get some solid d-men (and based on their cap ceiling they likely wont) they'll never be more than they are this season with that ****** core, which is a team struggling for the last playoff seed, and even that only happened because of some crazy flukey goaltending.

Philoops

I am Potato
Jul 19, 2011
Canada
That really is a terrible core relative to good NHL cores. They have some good young players in there like Hoffman, Stone, Ceci and Zibanejad but none of them have elite potential. Their goaltending will fall back to earth once Hammond inevitably collapses (and he will, he has no previous track record that shows it's anything more than a flukey streak) and their D isn't very good either. Unless they go out and get some solid d-men (and based on their cap ceiling they likely wont) they'll never be more than they are this season with that ****** core, which is a team struggling for the last playoff seed, and even that only happened because of some crazy flukey goaltending.
Nah, it's an average core. Zibanejad has elite potential, Stone is already a top 6 winger, Hoffman is a good complimentary guy and we have Puemple in the pipeline who'll likely usurp him eventually. Ryan is elite, Turris is a solid number two. Ottawa could use another elite winger, and going forward they seem to be building a team that relies on depth. Scoring has been by committee this year. / The D is pretty bad, I agree. We have Methot, Karlsson and Ceci and then a load of dog ****, though there are some dudes that might come up through the system and develop into better players. Eventually a decent signing or a trade will need to be made to give Karlsson a better supporting cast on the d side of things, Melnyk's said he's willing to spend more when the team is ready. Goaltending is a massive question mark going forward, Lehner could become that star goalie to replace Anderson, or fade into obscurity. After all, he's only 23. Hammond isnt expected to keep this up, most sens fans are aware of this, and if he goes down we're toast. But that's what we said when both Lehner and Anderson went down, so at this point, who knows. What we're seeing is a good young team with some good pieces in place finally reaching some potential and showing some heart, combined with the much needed subtraction a of Neil and Phillips(who is on par with Brewer from what I've read in this thread). Firing Maclean has turned out good in the short term as no longer are scrub 4th liners getting an obscene amount of ice time.
Has it been a lucky run? Yes, I just feel it's a bit disingenuous to claim it's ALL luck. It's a shame the battle of Ontario has faded away, I wasnt a fan back then during the peak. Here's to hoping things get on track for you guys, it was a fun atmosphere at the game, and I like you all much better than habs fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad