Pre-Game Talk: Sens @ Jets Sunday 7PM CST - TSN3 Preseason Game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
We're going to hate Copp by the end of this season even if he puts up 60 points because he'll have missed on another 60 grade A opportunities :laugh:
And KFC will bang home about 40 but will be roasted for his defense. Heinola sure can move the puck but he isn't physical enough. Stanley, nice shot but can't limbo for shit. Etc.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Was Stastny-Lowry-Vesalainen a thing? Sounds like a perfect third line as it actually has scoring potential. How great isn’t it to be able to run Stastny as a 3rd line winger, that’s a deep team.

Reactions: RabidOne

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I put that one on PLD, not Comrie.

He made quite a few good saves last night. I've been a Comrie skeptic for a long time already, but I'm not going to write him off based on that game. He looked a lot better than he has in his other Jets games. Of course that was the first exhibition game and was not against an NHL team. But it was the first game for him too.
I'm not going to write him off especially considering his past couple years but you have to stop that one.

Reactions: GNP

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not going to write him off especially considering his past couple years but you have to stop that one.

Fair enough - but does he have to stop that one in the first pre-season game of the year? A game in which he made quite a few good saves? The score is meaningless. Mostly, I liked Comrie - relative to my low expectations.

He gave up 2 goals in regulation. That says to me that he gave his team the chance to win in front of him. Isn't that all we usually demand of the backup guy? If Jets could have beaten Gustavsson is anyone here criticizing Comrie?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
If Jets could have beaten Gustavsson is anyone here criticizing Comrie?

giphy.gif

Of course, I am Mr Negativity. :laugh:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Bringing Comrie back honestly feels a bit like a Winnipeg loyalty thing... not a huge fan of it -
Just as long as it doesn’t cost us too many games
It's a cap thing. Not many backups with decent AHL records available at league minimum which is all the Jets could afford.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's a cap thing. Not many backups with decent AHL records available at league minimum which is all the Jets could afford.

Yup, it's what happens when you have a heavy workload vezina goalie and are looking to round out the rest of the roster. The backup spit is likely where they feel they can skimp.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

To be even more specific maybe that puck could go in on Helly and it could be shrugged off but it’s just another crippling gaff for a guy who has struggled mightily in the NHL. Nobody needs one hot streak at the NHL level more than Comrie. To this point in his career he is the most lovable unqualified backup in the NHL.

Everyone is rooting for you kid. Pretty please hockey gods let this be a pleasant surprise story totally against the flow of my couldn’t be more pessimistic expectations.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
You are definitely entitled to your opinion but I just see Perfetti as a much better offensive player than Copp.

I think the Jets should play Perfetti on the 2nd line, as he has good scoring hands, and move Copp back down to the 3rd line. Those easy goals that Copp misses, will cost us games, and position in the standings.

Copp is a great fast hard working 2 way player, that is a great shut down player, and we need him, but on the 3rd line.

People say give Perfetti another year to develop ?? what for. He can develop while he's playing, and it won't cost us goals. His shot isn't going to be any better next year, although his strength and skating may be.

I think we should definitely go with Perfetti, as he a good playmaker right now, and has a decent shot. Why waste him for a year with the Moose. Give him a shot, and see what he can do. If he's struggling, then send him down to the Moose for developement.

As for Comrie, I don't think he's NHL calibre, and he doesn't play the angles right to compensate for his small size, and also lets in easy goals. There must be a Goalie somewhere - Russia, Sweden - wherever that can do a good job, and the Jets should get on this ASAP.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Fair enough - but does he have to stop that one in the first pre-season game of the year? A game in which he made quite a few good saves? The score is meaningless. Mostly, I liked Comrie - relative to my low expectations.

He gave up 2 goals in regulation. That says to me that he gave his team the chance to win in front of him. Isn't that all we usually demand of the backup guy? If Jets could have beaten Gustavsson is anyone here criticizing Comrie?

I'm with you here and I thing if Forsberg (literally THE guy some here critized Chevy about giving away and not having as a backup now while having to deal with Comrie) had played the entire game, the Jets win this 4-2 in regulation. Gustavsson made a couple of amazing saves, especially considering it's freaking preseason. The guy looked like 100% ready for the season to begin without any hesitation.

Now let Comrie win the game by 4-2 in regulation giving up one goal that he looked 'meh' on - other than that, he looked less shaky as I was expecting him to be, honestly. If that is the end result of the game, everyone is absolutely fine with his effort but because he got clearly outplayed by Gustavsson, a goaltender with obviously and probably no doubt higher ratings, higher expectations and higher potential, he ends up looking bad. But comparing him with Gustavsson isn't the right thing to do, IMO. He should be compared to Forsberg and I think he looked at least as good if not even a slighty bit better than Forsberg. Which is, bottom line at the end of a day, actually a small win for Eric Comrie.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad