Post-Game Talk: SENS in the Habs Barn, Saturday night 7 pm

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The only reason they would be would be so pinto isn’t “rushed”.

they’ve all seen tierney play. This isn’t like the stepan experiment where it sort of looked they truly had no idea what they were getting

They aren’t considering it strongly at all in my opinion, and deployment seems to back that.

They are making Pinto continue to work his ass of though camp, by saying all the right things.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Is it better? I mean, we are writing on the internet, obviously the communication and my writing won't be perfect. I didn't intend to be funny or anything. That's why I have tried to clarify what you didn't understand since you cared (quoting)

(EDIT : UNLIKE BRANNSTROM), he won't need prime minutes to express his (EDIT : LIMITED) offensive talent

I mean, english is my 3rd langage. Are you perfect in your 3rd langage?

It's all good. I only speak one language

I just didn't understand what you initially meant

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It was clear enough... just wants to be the smartest guy in the room syndrome

No, it wasn't clear at all, in fact it was reversed, but it is now with further explanation

Smartest guy in the room syndrome... Right... Keep up the pot shots, it's what you do.

Reactions: Sweatred

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Didn't Pinto play baseball too and decide to focus on hockey when he was 15 or something? Then just tear up the ice wherever he played?

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Didn't Pinto play baseball too and decide to focus on hockey when he was 15 or something? Then just tear up the ice wherever he played?

Started playing hockey at 8, but only started playing competitive at 15. In his own words he didn't take it seriously until then.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
So when he made up his mind he killed it? I guess the little CT as second line center won't last long. The kid made up his mind...it's his. lol

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I did not watch the game so can someone balance your less than ideal eye test impressions of Stützle’s game with the reasonable stat sheet (1 goal, 3 shots, 5 hits, 0 GVA in over 22 minutes) for me? THX
Yes, given that I missed the first 2 exhibition games, a few questions come to mind. Is this more than a bottom 25% percentile team? Of course, its a small sample, its preseason, and so on, but put in very simplistic terms, if you had to put some sizable money on it, would you bet on:
  1. a bottom 25% percentile teams
  2. a team that narrowly misses the playoffs, or
  3. a team that will make the playoffs
Thanks.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Zub vs Zaitsev .. I don't think is close in any aspect of playing defense other than skating. Zaitsev can skate at least as well.
Not seeing it with MDZ as a 2nd pair D.

We all know Sanderson is coming.. but imo the D needed a boost this year to help take that next step sooner than later

So what do you do? Not bring in extra D talent?

Chabot
Zaitsev
Zub
Mete
Brown

If we don't bring in Holden and Del Zotto

Then what? Brannstrom

Then the injuries start. Then what? You're calling up JBD and or Thomson and playing them before they are ready?

Even with the 2 guys that came in, we've only got 8 guys before we get to the prospect level. We could actually use some Golobuf types in Belleville that can get called up and give you 14 minutes a night for a 10 game stretch

We're thin with what we have. There's no scenario where we weren't bringing in more D.

Sure, I think most will agree that the Senators needed to and would add to their blueline.

But, this is not a "quantity" question that's being debated from what I gather reading this. This is a "quality" question.

Did the Senators add bottom of the roster, "filler" type players, or something that's definitely better (a couple of notches better)?

Are MDZ/Holden another Stepan/Gudbranson "type scenario"?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Sure, I think most will agree that the Senators needed to and would add to their blueline.

But, this is not a "quantity" question that's being debated from what I gather reading this. This is a "quality" question.

Did the Senators add bottom of the roster, "filler" type players, or something that's definitely better (a couple of notches better)?

Are MDZ/Holden another Stepan/Gudbranson "type scenario"?

Personally I think the real issue is quality filler. Lots want quality filler. And that's not really easy to do. You can't sign it without signing term and dollars and trading for it means giving up big pieces

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Personally I think the real issue is quality filler. Lots want quality filler. And that's not really easy to do. You can't sign it without signing term and dollars and trading for it means giving up big pieces
They were able to sign Dadonov last year -> medium term and medium money I'd say. May have been the wrong player to give that contract to - that can be argued pretty easily. But, doesn't seem realistic to say that Ottawa never does this, or couldn't do it (similar scenario & level of player/contract) again.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
They were able to sign Dadonov last year -> medium term and medium money I'd say. May have been the wrong player to give that contract to - that can be argued pretty easily. But, doesn't seem realistic to say that Ottawa never does this, or couldn't do it (similar scenario & level of player/contract) again.

The thing is that Ottawa was offering a top 6 winger spot, and let’s also be honest, we were all shocked that Daddy even chose to sign with us.

We don’t have a top 4 defence spot to offer with any sort of term attached, or a chance at significant on ice success.

By the end of this college season we’re likely to have a full top 4 between Chabot, Sanderson, Zub, Zaitsev, with two more kids pressing and Bran and Mete still in the mix. Kleven is also playing on the right side as well by the looks of it, and isn’t far off.

We don’t have an attractive UFA offer on D, nor is the team in a winning situation for a vet to even be interested in playing bottom minutes for a chance at a cup. We can revitalize guys that are left over, and offer trade options at the TDL though, which is attractive for a sub set of players who are looking to get noticed, or are chasing a chance for a late season trade.

Now is not the time to add outsiders of note, unless they are serious top end talent like JE and we have a chance. That I can understand. But until we know what we have, and that includes on defence, we need to develop and grow organically and keep signing our keeper kids off their ELC’s. My opinion of course.

There should be no rushing this build, stay the course, develop and sign our talent, add missing pieces when we know what we have and what we need when it’s time to start contending.

Reactions: PlayersLtd

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
The thing is that Ottawa was offering a top 6 winger spot, and o et’s also be honest, we were all shocked that Daddy even chose to sign with us.

We don’t have a top 4 defence spot to offer with any sort of term attached, or a chance at significant on ice success.

By the end of this college season we’re likely to have a full top 4 between Chabot, Sanderson, Zub, Zaitsev, with two more kids pressing and Bran and Mete still in the mix. Kleven is also playing on the right side as well by the looks of it.

We don’t have an attractive UFA offer on D, nor is the team in a winning situation for a vet to even be interested in playing bottom minutes for a chance at a cup. We can revitalize guys that are left over, and offer trade options at the TDL though, which is attractive for a sub set of players that are looking to get noticed, or are chasing a chance for a late season trade.
Just thought of something (an aside) - are you JDI? You guys seem interchangeable.

2nd paragraph - That seems to be an opinion. After Chabot, Zaitsev, and Zub, it seems the rest of our blueline could be construed as question marks, or at least, not sure fire locks. Sanderson won't play the majority of this year, and you can always trade a decent defender it seems.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yes, given that I missed the first 2 exhibition games, a few questions come to mind. Is this more than a bottom 25% percentile team? Of course, its a small sample, its preseason, and so on, but put in very simplistic terms, if you had to put some sizable money on it, would you bet on:
  1. a bottom 25% percentile teams
  2. a team that narrowly misses the playoffs, or
  3. a team that will make the playoffs
Thanks.
Somewhere between 1 and 2. I don’t see them as bottom 8 but they will probably be out of realistic playoff contention by the 1st week of March.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Well, Dandonov was a 32 year old winger. I was referencing D and C, bit of a difference

We don't really venture in those UFA markets. We're more likely to acquire a legit player via trade given the assets we have than via the UFA route

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We all know Sanderson is coming.. but imo the D needed a boost this year to help take that next step sooner than later

Pretty much my assessment since last season. Yes, we played well towards the end and the defense was VASTLY improved to finish the season but it doesn't mean that you shouldn't always look for improvement, not in this league, competition is way too ferocious

Chabot - ??????
Brannstrom - Zub
Mete/Holden - Zaitsev

Brannstrom used as a trade chip to get that RD? Or after Jake Sanderson arrives? Don't sign MDZ, use that 2 M$ and more money to get someone better?

I'm not saying I know what we could have possibly done realistically because it often requires the player to accept coming to a new city, but at some point, when you throw dollars at someone, chances are that they'll be interested.

So I don't know, my #1 priority would have been to find a long-term partner for Chabot (using Brannstrom, 1st round pick in 2021, 2nd rounders in 2021 or 2022, Logan Brown, prospects at a position we are deep in, etc). Wasn't Dorion already here when Murray acquired Marc Methot? Does he not remember how Karlsson's game took off once Methot was here?

JBD, Thomson, Roger and Guenette are all good prospects and at least 2 of them will be NHLers but 1st pairing RD? Can't see it happening, that's a pretty big role. I mean, not on a team that has pretty big aspirations.

Reactions: Cosmix

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Well, Dandonov was a 32 year old winger. I was referencing D and C, bit of a difference

We don't really venture in those UFA markets. We're more likely to acquire a legit player via trade given the assets we have than via the UFA route

Wasn't MDZ a UFA and a defender?

Salaries:

Holden + MDZ = $3.9 m

Holden + MDZ + Josh Brown = $5.1 m

Maybe its just a matter of how we spend the money, or which players we spend the money on versus whether or not we will spend the money (given actual history of spending money on UFAs etc.).

Last edited:
Reactions: Puikiou

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Don't sign MDZ, use that 2 M$ and more money to get someone better?

....... but at some point, when you throw dollars at someone, chances are that they'll be interested.

Yes, I agree.

Its not that we don't sign UFAs or defenders, because we do.

I think its fair to question how the money is spent, or on which players. Maybe if you don't sign 2 bottom of the roster filler type contracts we will have enough money to throw at one decent player that can make a difference.

Post #922 above conveys the concept.

Reactions: Xspyrit and Puikiou

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Wasn't MDZ a UFA and a defender?

Salaries:

Holden + MDZ = $3.9 m

Holden + MDZ + Josh Brown = $5.1 m

Maybe its just a matter of how we spend the money, or which players we spend the money on versus whether or not we will spend the money (given actual history of spending money on UFAs etc.).

Guys are wanting a legit top 4. MDZ is a 2 year 2m aav player. Go look and see what 26 to 28 year old quality top 4 D sign for in both term and dollars. That's the market we're not going to play in

Reactions: Alfie11

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Guys are wanting a legit top 4. MDZ is a 2 year 2m aav player. Go look and see what 26 to 28 year old quality top 4 D sign for in both term and dollars. That's the market we're not going to play in
Did you notice the other part of the post that was under the part you replied to?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad