Post-Game Talk: SENS in the Habs Barn, Saturday night 7 pm

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I did not watch the game so can someone balance your less than ideal eye test impressions of Stützle’s game with the reasonable stat sheet (1 goal, 3 shots, 5 hits, 0 GVA in over 22 minutes) for me? THX
Didn’t really stand out for me

Reactions: bert

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I did not watch the game so can someone balance your less than ideal eye test impressions of Stützle’s game with the reasonable stat sheet (1 goal, 3 shots, 5 hits, 0 GVA in over 22 minutes) for me? THX

great tip on his goal but tried to do a bit too much at times and got knocked down here and there.

Not his best game but we iced a weak roster, especially his C, must be frustrating

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Brannstrom played one of his better games. I still expect he winds up in Belleville.
Chabot Zub
Mete Zaitsev
Holden Del Zotto
Brown

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Brannstrom played one of his better games. I still expect he winds up in Belleville.
Chabot Zub
Mete Zaitsev
Holden Del Zotto
Brown

No amount of bailer twine and duct tape can fix that 2nd pair... Unfortunately Zub will have to come to the rescue there again

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We talk a lot about Brannstrom... but I think he's simply the next "cast-off" like several players before him (Duclair, Balcers, Chlapik, Abramov, Logan Brown...) guys that don't really fit DJ's hockey

Hopefully this time they don't let this drag out and get some value for him before his value plummets and/or requires waivers

MDZ Zaitsev is not going to be fun to watch...MDZ is not a top 4. I wish we went and got a real top 4 dman but we cheaped out.

It's disappointing, unless they think it could be a good thing to not compete for the playoffs and not finish too high as this draft top-15 should be very good. Imagine how much more confident we'd feel with a good veteran RD and a good veteran forward (center?). They wouldn't have to be long term solutions and wouldn't have to be extemely expensive to acquire. There's plenty of guys that teams would like to "get rid of" to create some cap space. But considering how we have failed at identifying "good vets" the last few years, maybe no acquisition is for the best. Hopefully they don't overplay Del Zotto

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
We talk a lot about Brannstrom... but I think he's simply the next "cast-off" like several players before him (Duclair, Balcers, Chlapik, Abramov, Logan Brown...) guys that don't really fit DJ's hockey

Hopefully this time they don't let this drag out and get some value for him before his value plummets and/or requires waivers

It's disappointing, unless they think it could be a good thing to not compete for the playoffs and not finish too high as this draft top-15 should be very good. Imagine how much more confident we'd feel with a good veteran RD and a good veteran forward (center?). They wouldn't have to be long term solutions and wouldn't have to be extemely expensive to acquire. There's plenty of guys that teams would like to "get rid of" to create some cap space. But considering how we have failed at identifying "good vets" the last few years, maybe no acquisition is for the best. Hopefully they don't overplay Del Zotto
Brannstrom is 22, there's still plenty of time for him to fix his defensive game and become a serviceable player for the team.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Brannstrom is 22, there's still plenty of time for him to fix his defensive game and become a serviceable player for the team.

Yeah but Chabot/Sanderson/Kleven on LD... And they apparently don't like Brannstrom on RD, no matter how hard they try him, they won't like him there

I could be wrong but I can't see him being here long-term, same feeling I had for a while for a few various players that I have already named (except Chlapik, thought he'd have all the chances to be the 4th line center last season)

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
No amount of bailer twine and duct tape can fix that 2nd pair... Unfortunately Zub will have to come to the rescue there again
I think Zaitsev is an excellent defender who struggles some with the puck, Mete is a better defender than Brannstrom and he can either pass or skate the puck out of the zone. I think a Holden Del Zotto pairing would be solid enough to play 15 -18 minutes. The one piece missing from a decent to good D corps gets here in April.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Yeah but Chabot/Sanderson/Kleven on LD... And they apparently don't like Brannstrom on RD, no matter how hard they try him, they won't like him there

I could be wrong but I can't see him being here long-term, same feeling I had for a while for a few various players that I have already named (except Chlapik, thought he'd have all the chances to be the 4th line center last season)
I doubt Kleven will be ready for another 2 years. Sanderson will no doubt slot right in behind Chabot, but there's still a spot for Brannstrom on that bottom pairing.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

DJ has his preferences like everyone else on the planet.. but he wants to give his team the best chance to win.. no doubt about that.
Balcers and Chlapik both could have been here last year but Dorion brought in vets that get the benefit of the doubt and added experience to a younger team. Those moves by Dorion forced DJs hands there. Abramov was not in that conversation. Duclair was a contract extension self inflicted problem. I'd take Duclair over Ennis any day.

Erik Brannstrom. This is really on Dorion again. If we had a stronger D corps beyond Chabot and Zub.. Brannstrom could get sheltered. Again we brought in vets to plug the holes with leaky cheap tape .. and they will very likely get the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: Alfie11

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think Zaitsev is an excellent defender who struggles some with the puck, Mete is a better defender than Brannstrom and he can either pass or skate the puck out of the zone. I think a Holden Del Zotto pairing would be solid enough to play 15 -18 minutes. The one piece missing from a decent to good D corps gets here in April.

Zub vs Zaitsev .. I don't think is close in any aspect of playing defense other than skating. Zaitsev can skate at least as well.
Not seeing it with MDZ as a 2nd pair D.

We all know Sanderson is coming.. but imo the D needed a boost this year to help take that next step sooner than later

Reactions: bert

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
DJ has his preferences like everyone else on the planet.. but he wants to give his team the best chance to win.. no doubt about that.
Balcers and Chlapik both could have been here last year but Dorion brought in vets that get the benefit of the doubt and added experience to a younger team. Those moves by Dorion forced DJs hands there. Abramov was not in that conversation. Duclair was a contract extension self inflicted problem. I'd take Duclair over Ennis any day.

Erik Brannstrom. This is really on Dorion again. If we had a stronger D corps beyond Chabot and Zub.. Brannstrom could get sheltered. Again we brought in vets to plug the holes with leaky cheap tape .. and they will very likely get the benefit of the doubt.

So what do you do? Not bring in extra D talent?

Chabot
Zaitsev
Zub
Mete
Brown

If we don't bring in Holden and Del Zotto

Then what? Brannstrom

Then the injuries start. Then what? You're calling up JBD and or Thomson and playing them before they are ready?

Even with the 2 guys that came in, we've only got 8 guys before we get to the prospect level. We could actually use some Golobuf types in Belleville that can get called up and give you 14 minutes a night for a 10 game stretch

We're thin with what we have. There's no scenario where we weren't bringing in more D.

Reactions: Crosside

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Wish Duclair was still here. He's not perfect, he's not physical but he is fast, skilled and has a good shot. Could have been a good and young stop gap for a few years.

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stutzle-Pinto-Duclair
Formenton-White-Brown

My faith in DJ has increased since last season and how he improved the team, with his comments too. I agree, Dorion has made "too many" moves last year which forced DJ's hands but we don't know how much input DJ had on this.

Abramov wasn't in the conversation last year but I think he already saw the writing on the wall and thought it'd be better to go back home, make more money (than being waived and end up in the AHL, even if claimed) and have a better resume in 2 years after doing well in the KHL (but so far, it hasn't worked at all)

Agreed for Brannstrom too, it's really on defense that money should have been invested. Just ONE solid veteran would really help.

I doubt Kleven will be ready for another 2 years. Sanderson will no doubt slot right in behind Chabot, but there's still a spot for Brannstrom on that bottom pairing.

Not sure why I mentioned Kleven, he won't be in the picture for a while so yes, technically there'll be a spot on LD but IMO that spot should be for a guy like Mete instead of Brannstrom. Mete is fast, young and will always be cheap. (EDIT : UNLIKE BRANNSTROM), he won't need prime minutes to express his (EDIT : LIMITED) offensive talent. Another good stop gap for Kleven, etc

Of course we don't know how long it will take for Sanderson to be a 20+ minutes D-man but maybe it will happen very fast. Anyway, we'll see

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Wish Duclair was still here. He's not perfect, he's not physical but he is fast, skilled and has a good shot. Could have been a good and young stop gap for a few years.

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stutzle-Pinto-Duclair
Formenton-White-Brown

My faith in DJ has increased since last season and how he improved the team, with his comments too. I agree, Dorion has made "too many" moves last year which forced DJ's hands but we don't know how much input DJ had on this.

Abramov wasn't in the conversation last year but I think he already saw the writing on the wall and thought it'd be better to go back home, make more money (than being waived and end up in the AHL, even if claimed) and have a better resume in 2 years after doing well in the KHL (but so far, it hasn't worked at all)

Agreed for Brannstrom too, it's really on defense that money should have been invested. Just ONE solid veteran would really help.

Not sure why I mentioned Kleven, he won't be in the picture for a while so yes, technically there'll be a spot on LD but IMO that spot should be for a guy like Mete instead of Brannstrom. Mete is fast, young and will always be cheap. He won't need prime minutes to express his offensive talent. Another good stop gap for Kleven, etc

Of course we don't know how long it will take for Sanderson to be a 20+ minutes D-man but maybe it will happen very fast. Anyway, we'll see
What offensive talent do you think Mete is going to express?

Sanderson will likely be a 20 minute a night guy the first game he dresses, unless we're still in the playoff hunt and they dress him on the 3rd pair

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So what do you do? Not bring in extra D talent?

Chabot
Zaitsev
Zub
Mete
Brown

If we don't bring in Holden and Del Zotto

Then what? Brannstrom

Then the injuries start. Then what? You're calling up JBD and or Thomson and playing them before they are ready?

Even with the 2 guys that came in, we've only got 8 guys before we get to the prospect level. We could actually use some Golobuf types in Belleville that can get called up and give you 14 minutes a night for a 10 game stretch

We're thin with what we have. There's no scenario where we weren't bringing in more D.
Its more of a comment on the quality brought in vs the numbers re sheltering Brannstrom .. Over the past 2 years they had opportunities to sign or acquire better D without breaking the bank ,, no?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
What offensive talent do you think Mete is going to express?

Sanderson will likely be a 20 minute a night guy the first game he dresses, unless we're still in the playoff hunt and they dress him on the 3rd pair

Read again. I said "He won't need prime minutes to express his offensive talent"

Or maybe it still needs to be explained?

Branntrom needs prime minutes to express his offensive talent
Mete doesn't as he's not very good offensively at the NHL level

Keep in mind that living in Montreal, I watch A LOT of Habs games and hear about the team and its players a LOT. I was already very very familiar with Mike Reilly and Victor Mete, for example.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Its more of a comment on the quality brought in vs the numbers re sheltering Brannstrom .. Over the past 2 years they had opportunities to sign or acquire better D without breaking the bank ,, no?

If they brought in better D, wouldn't Brannstrom be further removed from ice time?

I don't necessarily agree with how easy it is to get "better" D.

Let's say you want to go the UFA route. Now you're talking term and dollars with a decent probability that the contract is not moveable half way thru to make room for prospects. Personally I don't think there was any intent to examine this route

So let's say you want to talk signed guys with 3 years of term left. Now start listing who you give up to do that. The names we'd list are names we wouldn't want to move. Again I don't think they seriously examined this avenue

I think they're pretty content with what they have and are tinkering on the edges to try to be a bit more competitive until the cavalry arrives

Ya I heard Melnyk say top C top D. That's him doing his blow hard thing. I just never felt there was any interest in giving up what it would take to acquire those pieces.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Read again. I said "He won't need prime minutes to express his offensive talent"

Or maybe it still needs to be explained?

Branntrom needs prime minutes to express his offensive talent
Mete doesn't as he's not very good offensively at the NHL level

Keep in mind that living in Montreal, I watch A LOT of Habs games and hear about the team and its players a LOT. I was already very very familiar with Mike Reilly and Victor Mete, for example.

You're a funny man

Apparently I have no idea what you meant

But when you type this in English

He won't need prime minutes to express his offensive talent

The most common interpretation of the meaning of that sentence is that he can express his offensive talent in less than prime minutes

You appear to have meant he has no offensive talent at the NHL level

And if you gave me 50 cracks at trying to state that Mete doesn't have offensive talent at the NHL level I wouldn't have come up with the words you used.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You're a funny man

Apparently I have no idea what you meant

But when you type this in English

He won't need prime minutes to express his offensive talent

The most common interpretation of the meaning of that sentence is that he can express his offensive talent in less than prime minutes

You appear to have meant he has no offensive talent at the NHL level

And if you gave me 50 cracks at trying to state that Mete doesn't have offensive talent at the NHL level I wouldn't have come up with the words you used.

Is it better? I mean, we are writing on the internet, obviously the communication and my writing won't be perfect. I didn't intend to be funny or anything. That's why I have tried to clarify what you didn't understand since you cared (quoting)

(EDIT : UNLIKE BRANNSTROM), he won't need prime minutes to express his (EDIT : LIMITED) offensive talent

I mean, english is my 3rd langage. Are you perfect in your 3rd langage?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Is it better? I mean, we are writing on the internet, obviously the communication and my writing won't be perfect. I didn't intend to be funny or anything. That's why I have tried to clarify what you didn't understand since you cared (quoting)

(EDIT : UNLIKE BRANNSTROM), he won't need prime minutes to express his (EDIT : LIMITED) offensive talent
It was clear enough... just wants to be the smartest guy in the room syndrome

Reactions: Xspyrit

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Sadly, this team probably is considering it very strongly.
The only reason they would be would be so pinto isn’t “rushed”.

they’ve all seen tierney play. This isn’t like the stepan experiment where it sort of looked they truly had no idea what they were getting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad