Low Effort GDT Sens in Nashville - 1:30PM | TSN5 | Early Afternoon Bumpkin Bash Edition

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I really hope DeBrincat sticks around. He's a special player
If he stays we will pay him about $8M AAV per year; if he leaves we will have about $8M AAV to spend on another player who will hopefully provide similar value (e.g., a top 2 RD).

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Would think since dump and chase is our main zone entry we practice it often. So why do we whiff on so many dumpings lol
I don't think it is our main O zone entry as I see the slingshot approach being used quite often with the D advancing up into the N zone before passing backward to a speedy advancing forward.

What could the problem be?
1. Forwards who do not take the D man out physically so the 2nd forechecker can get puck possession
2. Forwards are not skating fast enough to enter the O zone at high speed immediately when the puck is shot in
3. ???

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Puck was right there for Brannstrom he didnt take anything not sure how you can blame Chabot there
Chabot lost his man allowing a 2 on 1. Not totally Brainstorm's fault.,

200IQ move by DJ to put Kastelic on the PP there.
We need more than 1 player playing on the PP in front of the net. Tkachuk does it. We need another big bruiser so Kastelic is getting a chance to show what he has got and what he is willing to do.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
theres something funny about a gambling site using the 'bet on yourself' tagline when you're literally betting on other people
Betting is for losers. :)

I always say. The games in these wierd American markets always have a heavy game management feel to them. And I’m positive of this because 85% of Americans love wwe and Jerry springer. So sim sure they tested some different methods to make the game more palatable for that……….demographic.
Not to mention the "Love for Donald"!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Part of it is the Norris injury moving Pinto up, but still, I expected more from Kelly and Watson, they both seem to have taken a step back from last year. Joseph too, he's had a rough start to the year.
Joseph is playing with lesser players this season than last season. If Norris did not get injured and we had Formenton/C. Brown the 3rd line would be much better.

I agree with you that we're not there yet.

Boston is an interesting reference. They're getting superb goaltending and have a lot of veterans that are used to winning. We're almost right with them 5 on 5 driving play. Their 5th in Corsi %, we're 7th. They're 3rd in expected goals %, we're 9th. We're the only team in the top 10 in expected goals % not currently in the playoffs and we're not even close. We're getting beyond small sample size too. Carrying the better of the play for as long as we have and our W-L record is an anomaly

The real question is what's causing the anomaly? We're 29th in shooting % 5 on 5. We're getting looks, scoring chances, high danger chances, but we're not scoring. Just DeBrincat alone pacing at low 40s would be another 7 or 8 goals. And our goalies have decent numbers but not great. We're giving up too many soft goals. I count 4 in the last 2 games and a lost point on Thursday
We need to get the Fs to practice their shooting skills.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't think it is our main O zone entry as I see the slingshot approach being used quite often with the D advancing up into the N zone before passing backward to a speedy advancing forward.

What could the problem be?
1. Forwards who do not take the D man out physically so the 2nd forechecker can get puck possession
2. Forwards are not skating fast enough to enter the O zone at high speed immediately when the puck is shot in
3. ???
Young players being too fancy at times or taking a big risk at the wrong time usually at the blueline with no one behind them is probably their biggest problem. They also have trouble either putting a pass on the players stick or taking a pass in a position to go in with the puck. Dump & chase is usually their best option with the fast skaters they have, but they need to fight harder to gain puck possession in board battles. They are young guys learning how to win & play the right way & it's been a difficult thing to watch at times.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Young players being too fancy at times or taking a big risk at the wrong time usually at the blueline with no one behind them is probably their biggest problem. They also have trouble either putting a pass on the players stick or taking a pass in a position to go in with the puck. Dump & chase is usually their best option with the fast skaters they have, but they need to fight harder to gain puck possession in board battles. They are young guys learning how to win & play the right way & it's been a difficult thing to watch at times.
No doubt it is partly young inexperienced players. When I watch our "dump and chase" entires, we do not seem to be chasing enough and entering the O zone with high speed. Its uncoordinated.

Reactions: aragorn

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I responded to Micklebot's post to add a little more detail. As I mentioned the Norris injury hurt and we don't have experienced center depth to step up. It's a lot for someone like Pinto to be a 2C and step up at this stage.

I do think given that our offensive metrics are pretty good, it points to team defense as the deficiency.

For some reason, we've had a lot of sloppy team D play, blown coverage, poor positioning, etc. This could be because of bad coaching perhaps & definitely poor execution on the part of our players. It could be some combination of both of those factors.

Our goaltenders have been letting in too many softies, so we find ourselves on the wrong side of the scoreboard trying to climb back in the game.

I think our blueline needs some bolstering as well. Even with Zub healthy, another good RD would really help.

The lack of Debrincat goal scoring has hurt. He hasn't played poorly, but does have a lot of PP apples that boost his numbers. With the amount we are paying him, and with what we gave up to acquire him, I just think we need more from him. Batherson has had an off year as well (looking better the last 2 games though).

And for some reason we tend to sleep walk in the first half of the 1st period most games. We have to claw our way back into games versus slanting the game in our favour.
I don't think it's team defence that's necessarily deficient but it is a common reference.

Do we look scrambly at times in our end? Absolutely. Look how often our opponents look scrambly in their end. The metrics say they look scrambly more frequently than us.

We haven't been scoring like our opportunities say we should. That's very clear. That results in teams hanging around and that's exactly what's happening. And we've got some sloppy individual plays. Look at the LA game. Puck goes around the left wall on Chabot's first shift. He makes a sloppy play and it ends up on Zaitsev's side. He head man's it to Pinto. Pinto misses it, icing. The king's win the draw, boom it's in the net. Chabot and Pinto with sloppy plays.

Chabot's play prior to his concussion really hurt us. DeBrincat not scoring at a 40 goal pace is really hurting us and I don't put that on a lack of Patrick Kane because he's getting plenty of grade A chances. Soft goals against are hurting us

It's a collection of small things that each need to be tidied up a hair. Less sloppy individual plays in our end. Less soft goals. More scoring on top chances. We're good. We're 29th in shooting % at 5 on 5. If we're top 10 in shooting % at 5 on 5, consistent with the chances we're generating, we're probably not having this conversation

Reactions: Cosmix

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Hard-fought road game ends with a W, very nice. ...Can we still have a new coach pls?

Reactions: HSF

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
While it's a tough yr for fans Ottawa still has two rookies in Pinto & Sanderson who are showing they belong in the NHL & will only get better with this diversity. I consider both part of the core & think Pinto has 2nd line centre potential as he grows into his body & improves his skillset. Once again Ottawa got lucky with a later rd pick that should have been a 1st rd pick in Pinto & the same holds true for Batherson. They now need Greig, Ostapchuk &/or Boucher to come in & surprise everyone.
Grieg won't be a surprise at this point - it became pretty clear over the last year that he was a steal at the end of the first round. There are questions around his durability, but when he is healthy he is a great two way player who plays with a ton of sandpaper. He's Pageau with some Marchand mixed in. I'm very anxious to see him here...

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad