Pre-Game Talk: SENS in N.Y. Tuesday 7:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Yet another tough loss here on this end. Apparently my stupid team thought they had it in the bag with still 3+minutes left. Guess they don't remember losing game 2 to Montreal in a similar way.
Not spilt milk here, but I thought Ottawa was very fortunate with their last 2 goals, simply cannot allow those goals to go in. That game should've been OVER at 5-3.
We don't shut down, like we used to. I'm gonna have to regroup and be the best fan I could be.

I dug this up.....Took pic off TV, it was JG's first goal....Liked him immediately. Seems to me a pretty hard nosed type player. Pretty apparent he has offensive talent. Looks like a giggly little kid!

cLXPU9Z.jpg

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Stalberg hasn't scored in 23 games, and he's had point blank chances. He's only scored 2 goals in his last 26 games played for Ottawa. I don't think any of us were expecting a top line player, but he's due big time. It's surprising considering how many chances he's had.

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
Yet another tough loss here on this end. Apparently my stupid team thought they had it in the bag with still 3+minutes left. Guess they don't remember losing game 2 to Montreal in a similar way.
Not spilt milk here, but I thought Ottawa was very fortunate with their last 2 goals, simply cannot allow those goals to go in. That game should've been OVER at 5-3.
We don't shut down, like we used to. I'm gonna have to regroup and be the best fan I could be.

I dug this up.....Took pic off TV, it was JG's first goal....Liked him immediately. Seems to me a pretty hard nosed type player. Pretty apparent he has offensive talent. Looks like a giggly little kid!

cLXPU9Z.jpg

You try to stop a 100mph redirected shot. The last goal Henrik could of been stopped, but Pageau's wrister is quite under-rated so its not a surprise to see him beat an all star goalie straight up (Henrik also had to be ready to shift for the 2v1 pass).

Pageau is a defense first forward so we just dont get to see his shot that often. Ottawa has a habit of coming back late in games, I wouldnt put it all down to luck, they seem to thrive off the pressure.

That said, both games couldve gone either way so not expecting anything else for the rest of the series.

Has any team ever won a cup having every single game won/loss by one goal games?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Not spilt milk here, but I thought Ottawa was very fortunate with their last 2 goals, simply cannot allow those goals to go in.

But Pageau's two 3rd period goals were... Tip-ins? You think tip-ins are "fortunate goals" that you can't allow to go in?

Tip-ins are sometimes the only goals scored in playoff games. Good players practice them because sometimes that's the ONLY way to beat a goalie when he's on his game. Goalies often have no chance on a good tip-in. Zero reaction time + close range often leads to goals.

Tip ins are, almost quite literally, the quintessential playoff goal. When coaches talk about scoring "the hard goals that win games in the playoffs", they are almost always talking about those types of goals - have a player pay the price to set themselves up in front of the net and either work for the tip-in goal or get the dirty rebound in a scramble in front of the net.

I mean, if we're talking about fortunate "goals you can't allow to go in", let's start off with TWO (TWO!!!) shorthanded 2-on-1s that lead to SHGs. I mean, that was thoroughly embarrassing on our end. If anyone has room to tighten up on bad goals and we're working our way down from the worst of them, let's pencil those two in at #1 and #2, and we'll work our way down the list from there.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
But Pageau's two 3rd period goals were... Tip-ins? You think tip-ins are "fortunate goals" that you can't allow to go in?

Tip-ins are sometimes the only goals scored in playoff games. Good players practice them because sometimes that's the ONLY way to beat a goalie when he's on his game. Goalies often have no chance on a good tip-in. Zero reaction time + close range often leads to goals.

Tip ins are, almost quite literally, the quintessential playoff goal. When coaches talk about scoring "the hard goals that win games in the playoffs", they are almost always talking about those types of goals - have a player pay the price to set themselves up in front of the net and either work for the tip-in goal or get the dirty rebound in a scramble in front of the net.

I mean, if we're talking about fortunate "goals you can't allow to go in", let's start off with TWO (TWO!!!) shorthanded 2-on-1s that lead to SHGs. I mean, that was thoroughly embarrassing on our end. If anyone has room to tighten up on bad goals and we're working our way down from the worst of them, let's pencil those two in at #1 and #2, and we'll work our way down the list from there.

Yes Bonk....But notice I didn't say "lucky". I said fortunate, which also insinuates that it was tipped "perfectly into the net" whereas it could have just as easily been tipped into Hank's pad or crest for that matter. The hand/eye of even redirecting a puck traveling that fast is tough enough.....but no one can tell me that Pageau (or anyone else for that matter) can tell you honestly that,...... that is where he was trying to tip it.......Know what I mean? That's why I said fortunate.

Also, when I said "can't allow those goals to go in", I'm not really even pointing towards our goaltender. Yes he "could've gotten lucky" but more towards better net front coverage. Like I said.....My team seemed to let up, you guys took advantage and it cost dearly.

And Pageau's "non-tip in" was a beaut!

Last edited:

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013

cLXPU9Z.jpg

How can this be Pageau's first goal when his first NHL goal was in 2012-13 and Lazar had not even been drafted yet?

QuattroFTW

Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa
Yes Bonk....But notice I didn't say "lucky". I said fortunate, which also insinuates that it was tipped "perfectly into the net" whereas it could have just as easily been tipped into Hank's pad or crest for that matter. The hand/eye of even redirecting a puck traveling that fast is tough enough.....but no one can tell me that Pageau (or anyone else for that matter) can tell you honestly that,...... that is where he was trying to tip it.......Know what I mean? That's why I said fortunate.

Also, when I said "can't allow those goals to go in", I'm not really even pointing towards our goaltender. Yes he "could've gotten lucky" but more towards better net front coverage. Like I said.....My team seemed to let up, you guys took advantage and it cost dearly.

I get exactly where you're coming from, and it absolutely makes sense. But I think that the playoffs are really all about how many fortunate bounces and goals you get. Ducks vs Oilers last night was a pretty good example of that too. Edmonton could have easily run away with that game after it was tied 3-3 but a couple of fortunate saves and bounces for the Ducks and boom, its 6-3.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

And Pageau's "non-tip in" was a beaut!

Fair enough, I suppose. Though if we're going down that route, there are a thousand plays every game where the argument of "if it were 3 inches to the left/right/up/down, it's a whole different game!" could come into play, from goals to offsides to icings to passes to pucks off the boards to pucks off the glass, etc ad nauseum, that I generally dismiss most if not all of them. Variance is a HUGE part of the game... to pick out one or two instances of variance and say it could have changed the game, and not the other thousand, seems like a particularly narrow example of tunnel vision to me. Sure, maybe those tips don't go in. But maybe that puck also doesn't skip over Stone's stick in the 1st period, and the Rangers never score that first shorthanded goal. And then maybe if the Rangers don't score that first shorthanded goal, maybe the Sens don't get rattled and they score a PP goal. And maybe that PP goal rattles the Rangers enough that the Sens score another quick one off the face off, and it's 2-0 Sens before the first half of the 1st period is over.

There's too much variance in hockey to second-guess the thousands of little instances of puck-luck like a tip in front of the net or a puck bouncing over a stick while on the PP. You'll just end up pulling your hair out over uncontrollable events.

Also: I also didn't say "Lucky", haha. :laugh:

Last edited:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
So my co-worker came up with this idea. We should sit Karlsson for this game to let him heal up. He figures we're going to lose this game anyways, so why not get Karl get healthy as much as possible.

My thoughts is that this is a bad idea. If we have a chance to step on their throat, we should do it. If we win this game I believe we'll brake their will.

I think we saw already this year how this team looks without Karl. It would be almost a guarantee loss if Karl doesn't play.

LatteLarrys

LatteLarry's
Dec 27, 2013
Yes Bonk....But notice I didn't say "lucky". I said fortunate, which also insinuates that it was tipped "perfectly into the net"...

Euphemistic language aside, I don't see how the implication really changes. But either way, it seems like a moot point because--especially in close playoff games--teams typically let in it goals due to mishaps (e.g. the 2 SHG against the Ottawa), breakdowns, and favorable circumstances for the opposing team; the object is to expose and capitalize on these opportunities.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007

cLXPU9Z.jpg

With a Lazar sighting...?

This is a goal at home Vs the Sharks.

His first goal was against Philly of NJ on the road. But great pic anyways.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Meh, you can say Ottawa had these fortunate goals and I would come back that the Rangers had fortunate goals to and Anderson could have had a couple of them. How much fortune in the bounces kicking out the Rangers two 2 on 1s short-handed on a team that let in 3 (?) shorties all year?

Bounces and fortune go both ways, the difference being that fans call their teams skill and the other team calls it fortunate. It all cuts both ways. The challenge is to control play enough to not allow fortune to rear its head.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
So we've all heard SNet people going on and on about Lundqvist's glove and how it's custom made to stay open.

They have never explained why though. Is it to keep it open and take up as much space as possible? Or is it due to some sort of issue with his hand and he can't squeeze the glove closed?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So we've all heard SNet people going on and on about Lundqvist's glove and how it's custom made to stay open.

They have never explained why though. Is it to keep it open and take up as much space as possible? Or is it due to some sort of issue with his hand and he can't squeeze the glove closed?

My guess is option A...Size

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box

Is what they said..... Ain't working that good for the King, is it? 6 goals in 1 game..:sarcasm:

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
I am interested in the adjustments the coaches make for the next game.

No brainer that the Senators will be clamping down on the 2 on 1 possibilities and the Rangers long passes that have been used very well at times. The Rangers made good adjustments in game 2 to spring their guys and to neutralize the Sens power play. The all is back to Boucher and Crawford to respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad