Pre-Game Talk: SENS in Montreal, Saturday Night 7:00 pm on TSN

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
9-2 & the Habs keep pouring it on trying to get to 10 & our team does nothing about them rubbing their faces in it. Pathetic performance & showed no heart, no passion & no guts & no class by Montreal. I guess this is the new NHL.

Whatever, they had something to prove, we didn't. They can have their pre-season stanley cup. They're not going anywhere this season.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Well that sure wasnt an inspiring effort. Hope they snap out of it when the full team is together or we'll need a lot of 'start the car' games this year. Sure miss Karlsson. None of the kids really look ready to me, hope they can all start in belleville. Dress rehearsals over now, the show starts next.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Anderson rarely lets in a lot of goals 2 games in a row so I expect a big game from him in the opener

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Every other team is trying and the senators just skate around. Huh.
Preseason or not, there is a difference between losing a game and playing a game like a pee-wee team.
No, there isn't. If you actually care about their effort in these games, then you need to reevaluate.

The only players actually battling out there are rookies and bubble guys. Always.

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
Statics show a 99% chance to miss the playoffs if you're out of the eight-seed by Canadian Thanksgiving.

Very scientific. Trade Karlsson.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Well, I believe Harpur and McCormick just punched their ticket to Belleville tonight. Harpur has so many great physical tools and good hands...but he desperately needs a sense of urgency and willingness to use that body of his.
I agree .. none of the rookies had good games. None of them played there way on tonight. Brown and Chabot made some mistakes too. Formenton was ok but nothing much going. Formenton is back to London sooner or later. Brown will get his 9 game intro and will ultimately be sent back to Windsor... Chabot is on the fence imo. Before the last 2 games he was more on the stick side .. now.. not as sure.
I thought Stone was good again and I like the way Hoffman has played thru the preseason...

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
It is pre-season but that only makes this loss slightly easier to digest. The only positive that can really be taken from the result is showing what needs to be improved in certain aspects of the roster, and flaws with certain players (at the moment at least). From last year's showing, I trust that Dorion and Boucher will construct and coach us as a tough hockey team to play against. But there is still much work to be done.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I am watching this game after recording it. It s 6 to 1 early in the third period. The Senators totally suck, cannot maintain puck possession, nor mount an effective attack of any sort, nor play effective defensively. For a meaningless game, preparing to start the season, there is not much one can say, except the Senators are totally out-matched tonight which does not bode well for the season. They are slow and lacking in skill.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I agree .. none of the rookies had good games. None of them played there way on tonight. Brown and Chabot made some mistakes too. Formenton was ok but nothing much going. Formenton is back to London sooner or later. Brown will get his 9 game intro and will ultimately be sent back to Windsor... Chabot is on the fence imo. Before the last 2 games he was more on the stick side .. now.. not as sure.
I thought Stone was good again and I like the way Hoffman has played thru the preseason...

I'm still trying to decide if tonight was hometown jitters for Chabot, or if he needs a bit of polishing in Belleville. The whole team broke down so much tonight....hard to really get much of a read.

Brown's biggest problem seems to be defaulting into gliding mode instead of moving his feet....and being so tall. He won't get the benefit of the doubt from refs because of his size (unlike Gallagher who can practically decapitate someone with no call). Brown has to adapt to the stricter enforcement and probably up his conditioning a bit so he has the oxygen to move his feet for an entire shift. But he has shown some amazing flashes during the preseason. Definitely moved up the depth chart.

Formenton is definitely a work in progress. He is going to be really something this year in London. I expect a TC invite at the very least, and a decent chance to make the team.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Last season Colorado were 6-0 in the preseason

Detroit were 6-1-1

Coyotes were 5-1-1

Penguins were 3-3

All of this proves that preseason doesn't tell you very much

Reactions: Xspyrit

SensEnforcer

Nov 23, 2008
Melbourne
I know it's only pre season but that was hard to watch. When your getting dominated like that you want players to show that they care by trying to step it up and do the basics with 100% effort (hitting, complete passes, throw it in net) not just give up.

Side note: harps is a big boy but sometimes I wish he would throw his body a bit more and get pyshical

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
9-2 & the Habs keep pouring it on trying to get to 10 & our team does nothing about them rubbing their faces in it. Pathetic performance & showed no heart, no passion & no guts & no class by Montreal. I guess this is the new NHL.
Yes! And Gallagher runs Anderson near the start of the game and NO-ONE does anything about it! Pansies!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yes! And Gallagher runs Anderson near the start of the game and NO-ONE does anything about it! Pansies!

He ran Andy a few times this game, and the refs turned a blind eye to it.

Imagine the outrage if Price was run several times in one game with no calls....

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
McCormick will likely stay a while only because he's not waiver exempted, they need an extra forward and since White got hurt and Paul was on a bad ankle and didn't get a real pre-season camp. Formenton is going to be sent back to junior in a day or two and it's still not 100% if Brassard can start the season. Brown is hanging by a thread but I think he'll get at least some games if Brassard sits out or just as insurance within the 9 game window.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
The PP is horrible, what else is new.. you simply have to like at MTL to see what they need to do to simply get set in the zone.. we had no trouble intering the zone tonight but they werw not able to get set.. why? Slow skating, soft pass, player not in position, player not battling ( except Stone ), no conviction.

Just to see the difference. Mtl Dman dunp the puck.. 3 forchecker

Ott Dman dump the puck, 1 ott guy, and 4 guy near the blueline.. you can't dump the puck when the forward are waiting at the line. They need to enter with speed.

Until they so that, they better hope Karlsson and Stone carry them because the PP will continue to suck.

Oh btw i could be fun if they could handle more than 1 pass in a row. Mtl's players are good at that compare to us.. it make all the difference.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I know it's only pre season but that was hard to watch. When your getting dominated like that you want players to show that they care by trying to step it up and do the basics with 100% effort (hitting, complete passes, throw it in net) not just give up.

Side note: harps is a big boy but sometimes I wish he would throw his body a bit more and get pyshical

Very disappointed in the players on this team based on this game. Some rear-ends need to be adjusted.

I have never seen Harpur get overly physical. He is tall and has a long reach. That is all he is at this time. Depending on his own internal Drive and ambitions, that might be all he ever is. Nothing special. Not an NHL level player at this time.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
It's up to the players to play and give a 100% every shift

They need to rise their compete level for the regular season

Maybe right now they feel a little to good about what happened last spring

But they better get back to reality fast, this team needs to play hard and compete for them to win

Tonite was embarrassing and unacceptable, they need to wake the f*** up

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
...........very glad I missed this game

I see Chabot -5 in the box score. Was he particularly bad, or not his fault?

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
The Senators totally suck, cannot maintain puck possession, nor mount an effective attack of any sort, nor play effective defensively. For a meaningless game, preparing to start the season, there is not much one can say, except the Senators are totally out-matched tonight which does not bode well for the season.

I agree with everything 100% up until the bolded. If I remember correctly, the first three months of last year didn't 'bode well for the season.' Yet still the most fun I've had as a Sens fan, hands down.

And to think I was laughing at MTL's 0-3 preseason rocord only a few days ago.:(

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
I am a habs fan but Ottawa is my 2e team.9-2 is horrible but Ceci,Karlson,Ryan and Brassard were not on the ice so.....but Condon is not playing well.....He is not responsable but ,like Montoya,he nedds to be better.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
...........very glad I missed this game

I see Chabot -5 in the box score. Was he particularly bad, or not his fault?

Yes and no. He was partly responsible for some goal and other not.

All our 6 D have played bad and that's not an encouraging thing..

One thing i want to add on Chabot, you could tell he was actually trying to make an impact by pinching and all. But he rarely had cover by the forward and the other D wasn't playing great as well.

I'm concern right now with our pairing without Karlsson.

Oduya did regress, Phaneuf is slow as f*** and hasn't played well all pre season. He got beat several time tonight. Harpur is going down garanteed, Claesson has played poorly last 2 games, granted he was asked to play the right side. Wideman is wideman and Boro is Boro.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I think Boucher's left side - right side D concept was broken the moment Dorion signed Oduya. He's not big nor hard to play against so I can't see how he fits the system any better than a younger D would. I'm not suggesting taking him out but maybe the more experienced Oduya could switch side or at the very least there is no reason to force whichever less experienced left D plays (Harpur, Chabot or Claesson) to his wrong side when Phaneuf says he can play that side with no problem

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad