Post-Game Talk: SENS in Duck Country, Wed. 10:00 pm

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
A big postivd form this game is Bobby Ryan looks like a player that a GM might consider even with that contract. The downside of course is any player in the NHL can play hard and determined for 2 weeks, and Ryan isn't playing hard to get wins, he's playing hard to get out of Ottawa
I can’t see any GM wanting Ryan at all. I know he scored a goal yesterday, but if you watched a tape of all his shifts, he was as slow as molasses. Absolutely terrible coverage of his own zone and it looks like he’s just going through the motions

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I can’t see any GM wanting Ryan at all. I know he scored a goal yesterday, but if you watched a tape of all his shifts, he was as slow as molasses. Absolutely terrible coverage of his own zone and it looks like he’s just going through the motions

I agree with you in general, but you have to give him credit for his play the last 5 games, I don't believe it will continue and if Ryan doesn't get traded at the deadline he'll feel bummed and sulk around the ice, but if his recent play convinces a GM that Ryan 'has found his game' and trades for him, and I'm board 100%

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I agree with you in general, but you have to give him credit for his play the last 5 games, I don't believe it will continue and if Ryan doesn't get traded at the deadline he'll feel bummed and sulk around the ice, but if his recent play convinces a GM that Ryan 'has found his game' and trades for him, and I'm board 100%
I haven’t been able to watch a lot of Sens games since Christmas, so I can’t comment on how he’s looked in the last 5 games.
From the half of the game I watched yesterday, I saw Ryan coast around and in general was a step behind in his own zone and neutral zone. He’s still a decent player in the offensive zone and around the net.
No way a GM touches him or his contract though.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I haven’t been able to watch a lot of Sens games since Christmas, so I can’t comment on how he’s looked in the last 5 games.
From the half of the game I watched yesterday, I saw Ryan coast around and in general was a step behind in his own zone and neutral zone. He’s still a decent player in the offensive zone and around the net.

Don Waddel is a GM now. So it's possible,

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

He coasts "a lot" because he isn't a great skater, it doesn't mean he doesn't care. Boro is a great example of a player who's always skating hard and still sucks.

Ryan is overpaid, everybody agrees. He's still had a decent year so far, better than the last two (excluding playoffs).

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
He coasts "a lot" because he isn't a great skater, it doesn't mean he doesn't care. Boro is a great example of a player who's always skating hard and still sucks.

Ryan is overpaid, everybody agrees. He's still had a decent year so far, better than the last two (excluding playoffs).
I agree with all this. I’m sure he cares and can’t help that he’s lost a step in his game.
Even though he’s been more productive this season he’s still not a player I’d want on my team. He’s just not a hard player to play against.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton

Please have him sent down and I have no other player is called up again. Screwing up with their momentum in the A. Having them come up and warm the bench, when they can be playing key minutes and producing in the minors.

Totally fked up Batherson, called him up and then just have him riding the bench for the most games and playing minimum minutes.

If a top 6 player is called him, then freaking give him top 6 minutes and play him in the top 6 role or just don't call them up, for the love of God@!

Reactions: derriko and DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
A big postivd form this game is Bobby Ryan looks like a player that a GM might consider even with that contract. The downside of course is any player in the NHL can play hard and determined for 2 weeks, and Ryan isn't playing hard to get wins, he's playing hard to get out of Ottawa

haha, you'd think we would see more of this from other players at this point. I think we have seen Zack Smith adopt this strategy too, as he has been playing better. Its always Bobby leading the charge these days! Playoff run, star! Getting traded out of Ottawa Star! He just needs the proper motivation.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Please have him sent down and I have no other player is called up again. Screwing up with their momentum in the A. Having them come up and warm the bench, when they can be playing key minutes and producing in the minors.

Totally fked up Batherson, called him up and then just have him riding the bench for the most games and playing minimum minutes.

If a top 6 player is called him, then freaking give him top 6 minutes and play him in the top 6 role or just don't call them up, for the love of God@!

god forbid Batherson gets called up and a good amount of time and get played on the top line then shows he isn't ready and get sent down.

What a terrible move by the team!

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
god forbid Batherson gets called up and a good amount of time and get played on the top line then shows he isn't ready and get sent down.

What a terrible move by the team!

Wasn't a terrible move. Boucher inconsistency in handling him was terrible. Boucher kept trying to over coach the kid and keep kill any momentum he generated with Duchene. Never even tried him with Stone for a good couple of games, let alone one full game.

He was sent down a bit too late. Boucher just doesn't know how to coach young offensively gifted players.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I thought Batherson was handled pretty well in his time here for a rookie. Got to play in the top 6 and got a decent look most nights.

Reactions: derriko

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
At the start, yes, later on, no. He should've been sent back down 5-7 games earlier.
I thought he deserved the 17 game look that he got. I dont see how sending him down 5-7 games earlier has any effect on his development, and him not being in the line up has made Ottawa worse.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
49784170_10156859586869477_6907848098341453824_n.jpg

Classy move by the Players/Team

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
I thought he deserved the 17 game look that he got. I dont see how sending him down 5-7 games earlier has any effect on his development, and him not being in the line up has made Ottawa worse.

Not saying that. Timing and usage of the player is everything. What I mean by that is that maybe the timing of his call-up was bad since he had a real thing going on - let him ride it, it can go a long way for him. Calling him up was still fine, but then extending his stay while have him player 10-14 minutes in a lesser role, rather have him tearing up the A totally killed the momentum, and halted the character and confident he was building for himself.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Not saying that. Timing and usage of the player is everything. What I mean by that is that maybe the timing of his call-up was bad since he had a real thing going on - let him ride it, it can go a long way for him. Calling him up was still fine, but then extending his stay while have him player 10-14 minutes in a lesser role, rather have him tearing up the A totally killed the momentum, and halted the character and confident he was building for himself.
I think you are reaching and making assumptions that arent accurate here. I'd imagine Batherson enjoyed his time with the big club and learned a lot. I dont see why it would have a negative impact on his character and confidence.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
I think you are reaching and making assumptions that arent accurate here. I'd imagine Batherson enjoyed his time with the big club and learned a lot. I dont see why it would have a negative impact on his character and confidence.

As a fan of Batherson, why wasn't I excited about him being called up? And, wasn't happy about his extended stay, when he should be sent down a few games earlier?

Him being called up won't hurt his development or anything obviously. But, you are missing the point here. What he was experiencing before him being called up was something special for a 20 year old kid. His dominance and him being in the lime light could go a long way for him, to have that swagger and mentally take his game to another level. I don't see why the organization had to mess with a great thing going on with him. Let him ride that wave would've been the better choice.

Now, all that necessarily doesn't mean anything or wouldn't even matter in the long run, and that him being called up wasn't a wrong decision, but clearly wasn't the best one either, at the point in time.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
As a fan of Batherson, why wasn't I excited about him being called up? And, wasn't happy about his extended stay, when he should be sent down a few games earlier?

Him being called up won't hurt his development or anything obviously. But, you are missing the point here. What he was experiencing before him being called up was something special for a 20 year old kid. His dominance and him being in the lime light could go a long way for him, to have that swagger and mentally take his game to another level. I don't see why the organization had to mess with a great thing going on with him. Let him ride that wave would've been the better choice.

Now, all that necessarily doesn't mean anything or wouldn't even matter in the long run, and that him being called up wasn't a wrong decision, but clearly wasn't the best one either, at the point in time.
Fair enough. You've made some valid points and its definitely a fair opinion. Saying they totally fked up Batherson in your first post may have been a stretch. In a season where so much has been negative, I think how Batherson has been developed and handled has been positive.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Fair enough. You've made some valid points and its definitely a fair opinion. Saying they totally fked up Batherson in your first post may have been a stretch. In a season where so much has been negative, I think how Batherson has been developed and handled has been positive.

That was more of an indictment on Boucher trying to over coach the young kids getting called up who are offensive players, in particular. Was just trying to say his handling of Batherson was fked up, especially last 5 to 7 games.

I mean, the kid did only scored 3 points in his last 10 games or so, playing in bottom 6 for majority of that spam. He is the kind of player who thrives on scoring points. Who is to say it didn't bring Batherson down seeing he wasn't ready for the NHL and wasn't even able to contribute at all, after a first few games. He doesn't have the same jump in his game in the minors either, ever since been sent down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad