Post-Game Talk: SENS in Dallas (on the road again) Friday 8:30pm

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
FC7B6veXsAEkaGp

Thomas Chabot looks like a wimp compared to these beasts. Is that Holden on the left?

Um actually, and surprisingly, it's BT that looks the smallest out of them. Chabot looks thicker, wider and more filled out. I thought Brady would look much bigger in comparison, I guess it's his mean attitude on the ice that makes him seem like a physical beast out there. I know he's a couple years younger than Chabot, so he's still gonna fill out a bit, but Chabot looks to have the bigger frame from this pic.

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
Gus played a great game but Zibby and the 2nd round pick would have given us a top line center in addition to Norris and Pinto. The Brassard trade was a disaster.

Honest question not meant to be disrespectful, were you a fan of the Senators when that trade happened?

If not, you might not know that Zib was not anywhere close to the player he is today, and by all accounts (including most fans) he was NOT on a trajectory to become the player he is today. This is not for lack of talent, everyone saw that he had the skill. However, he didn't take his responsibility serious enough as a player. He came to came out of shape, and was notorious for spending too much of his time on his DJ Zbad career.

Zibby is a perfect example of how some organizations are much more mature and capable than others. The Rangers organization was exactly what Zib needed to have the career he has now. If he stayed in Ottawa he might be out of the league right now. The Rangers really turned this kid into an adult and got him focused on his NHL career. They molded a top line center with captain material out of a kid who was more interested in spinning records til 3am than staying in shape for his hockey career.

If you really like Zib be thankful he got a chance to play for an organization that has the tools to help young players like Zib manage the distractions of being young, famous, and wealthy. Unfortunately, the Senators couldn't do that for him and so we moved on and got a piece that helped us make a very exciting cup run!

TonySoprano11

Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
FC7B6veXsAEkaGp

Thomas Chabot looks like a wimp compared to these beasts. Is that Holden on the left?

Anyone else find it kind of sad and typical of this organization that the jersey they gave him was an out dated one? Like did they just have some extra ones they couldn't get rid of and decided to give him that than lose out a sale of the current jersey?

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Anyone else find it kind of sad and typical of this organization that the jersey they gave him was an out dated one? Like did they just have some extra ones they couldn't get rid of and decided to give him that than lose out a sale of the current jersey?

I feel you are assuming a lot? Why do you think he didn't come with his own jersey? Why would we carry a retired jersey type on the road?

Reactions: Sicko

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Um actually, and surprisingly, it's BT that looks the smallest out of them. Chabot looks thicker, wider and more filled out. I thought Brady would look much bigger in comparison, I guess it's his mean attitude on the ice that makes him seem like a physical beast out there. I know he's a couple years younger than Chabot, so he's still gonna fill out a bit, but Chabot looks to have the bigger frame from this pic.

I think the camera angle is skewing things a little. Chabot almost looks bigger than Gallimore. They’re the same height but Gallimore has 112 lbs on Chabot.

TonySoprano11

Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
I feel you are assuming a lot? Why do you think he didn't come with his own jersey? Why would we carry a retired jersey type on the road?

During the broadcast they explained that he tweeted out at the Sens saying he never attended a Senators game. So since they were going to be in Dallas they hooked him up with tickets and a custom jersey with his name on it.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
I think the camera angle is skewing things a little. Chabot almost looks bigger than Gallimore. They’re the same height but Gallimore has 112 lbs on Chabot.

Damn, I did not know that. And ya, you can't tell at all from that pic there's that much of a difference. Front profile pics alone aren't enough to tell i guess. Chabot looks solid though, seemed to have put on some weight recently, he used to look slimmer in older pics, probably packed on a few pounds of muscle this off season.

Reactions: DrEasy and Bileur

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
It needs to be this way though... at least we seem to be moving to:

1A Murray
Placeholder Forsberg
1B Gustavsson (playing starter role with the B Sens when not in Ottawa)

If Murray is out, Gus moves to 1A. Forsberg is the backup and should get nothing more than the occasional spot start. It allows Gus to get max reps in game situations, and after the last 18 months, that's needed.

I guess some are wondering, at one point does keeping Gus out of the NHL start becoming detrimental to Gus? Or at least not pushing more progress by fire as well.

Wouldn't they be better off just splitting Gus and Murray until Murray can be moved?

Don't want to see a player like Gus, who seems to be on the verge of a goalie breakout of sorts, stagnate at lower competition when he could be improving more, to move along as a unit with the other prime pieces like Norris, Bath, Stu in their combined development. And the more time a goalie has playing with defenders, the more a relationship will build between he and Chabot and the other players in general.

To me the main issue seems to be, being stuck with Forsberg. But I am not sure possibly impinging Gus' progress for the sake of Forsberg will end up being worthwhile.

Last edited:

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I guess some are wondering, at one point does keeping Gus out of the NHL start becoming detrimental to Gus? Or at least not pushing more progress by fire as well.

Wouldn't they be better off just splitting Gus and Murray until Murray can be moved?

Don't want to see a player like Gus, who seems to be on the verge of a goalie breakout of sorts, stagnate at lower competition when he could be improving more, to move along as a unit with the other prime pieces like Norris, Bath, Stu in their combined development. And the more time a goalie has playing with defenders, the more a relationship will build between he and Chabot and the other players in general.

To me the main issue seems to be, being stuck with Forsberg. But I am not sure possibly impinging Gus' progress for the sake of Forsberg will end up being worthwhile.
There's no rush IMO. It's better to give Gus as many starts as possible, whether it is in the NHL or AHL. Next year (or even at this deadline) I imagine Forsberg will be gone and Murray and Gus will split duties. Or Murray will get injured and Gus will play more than that even!

I don't know how important it is to build relationships with defensemen, but right now 4 out of 6 of our NHL defensemen any night are placeholders of sorts anyway. Might as well let Gus build relationships with Lassi, JBD and Brannstrom.

Reactions: Blotto71

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
FC7B6veXsAEkaGp

Chabby has some width to him there, not totally out of place among a group of talented athletes, and Josh Brown (who is just thankful for not getting cropped).

Thats an NFL player and maybe its just me, but the feel like titans on TV when your watching them. But Brady and Thomas make him feel a little more human here, imo.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
How do you explain Tortorella's love and usage of MDZ though? Obviously its not working out thus far here on the Sens. And ya, MDZ is not the player he was billed as being.

But Tortorella is a legitimately hard coach to earn his love and trust - especially considering the rocky past they had together in New York many years ago. And by all accounts MDZ was basically his Zub last season. I believe Torts when he says a player is doing things the right way, and playing the game properly. So imo the MDZ signing could have been a sneaky good one if the guy didnt regress so noticeably to start this season..

Regardless, Pierre McGuire is a breathing hockey encyclopedia, and I have no doubt that pro scouting in Ottawa will see a noticeable uptick going forward. Hes gonna nerd it up hard on the pro scouting side in any major trades/signings imo. Dylan Gambrell might hopefully be exhibit A.
Mdz seems to have had one good defensive season. That’s it. He hit a nice little patch of form last year probably in a perfect situation for him. Before that he was known as a defensive liability for each team he played for. MDZ being trusted by a coach is the anomaly not the norm for his career at all.

Reactions: Bileur

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Lol this dude really needs to attack me any chance he gets, so much so that he'll mount a defense of Josh f***ing Brown to do so.

Like you are any different. Reap what you sow. Anyways, I am not as petty as you think, but your tone on the defensive play was entirely too negative considering all the factors

Last edited:

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018

The issue is Murrays health. Dude is missing a lot of time again. They need 3 goalies right now. With Gus playing well, he will be the starter when Murray is injured. Forsberg is kind of the permanent backup. The Sens aren't stuck with Forsberg, I think they could put him on waivers tomorrow and move him. They need him.

It's pretty clear that next year is the year they expect Gus to be with the Sens. He got a two year deal with it being a one way deal next year. Forsberg signed for one year - likely gone next year. If Murray continues to miss a lot of time, you have to think they will look for a veteran minor leaguer next year.

The Sens are stuck with Murray. No one is taking that contract when he can't even play consistently.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Dallas is the team that gave him a custom jersey with his name and number on it. It was their home game after all.

Have you considered that he owned the jersey himself? You’re right though, it would be really weird if the team gave him an old jersey, unless it was his fav.

Reactions: SensontheRush

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Ottawa was to bench, waive & send Ennis to Belleville & callup Sokolov, they could have a decent top nine when Pinto returns. They should keep the top two lines together & create a 3rd line that can also add some offence & create three good lines. And when Watson returns create a decent 4th line & send the AHL players back to Belleville.

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - Paul - C. Brown
Formenton - Pinto - Sokolov
Sanford - Tierny - Watson

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
If Ottawa was to bench, waive & send Ennis to Belleville & callup Sokolov, they could have a decent top nine when Pinto returns. They should keep the top two lines together & create a 3rd line that can also add some offence & create three good lines. And when Watson returns create a decent 4th line & send the AHL players back to Belleville.

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - Paul - C. Brown
Formenton - Pinto - Sokolov
Sanford - Tierny - Watson

Imo Ennis is playing well, and should stay. Sokolov is bigger, but inconsistent. Ennis is a terrier who hunts pucks, and makes plays.

I would be tempted to send Formenton down, so he could work on lifting the puck! And his overall scoring touch...but i suppose he wouldn't make it thru waivers?!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Imo Ennis is playing well, and should stay. Sokolov is bigger, but inconsistent. Ennis is a terrier who hunts pucks, and makes plays.

I would be tempted to send Formenton down, so he could work on lifting the puck! And his overall scoring touch...but i suppose he wouldn't make it thru waivers?!
Pretty sure Formenton is still waiver exempt.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

The problem with Ennis is the longer he is around the more he disappears, he is simply blocking a better prospect from playing. Sokolov would do more with Pinto & Formenton than Ennis is IMO.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
The problem with Ennis is the longer he is around the more he disappears, he is simply blocking a better prospect from playing. Sokolov would do more with Pinto & Formenton than Ennis is IMO.

sounds like Sokolov hasn't had a great start to the season in the AHL besides that 4 point game. Let him keep developing. No need to rush him.

I love how Brannstrom has to 'earn it' at the AHL level, but big body Sokolov can be thrown in the NHL before he's ready

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
sounds like Sokolov hasn't had a great start to the season in the AHL besides that 4 point game. Let him keep developing. No need to rush him.

I love how Brannstrom has to 'earn it' at the AHL level, but big body Sokolov can be thrown in the NHL before he's ready
He was the talk of the preseason as being NHL ready, it's more like they had too many vets agains on one way contracts that keeps him down there just like Brannstrom.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
he wasnt ready in pre season, no. He clearly still had pace issues
He's not a grerat skater, but it hasn't stopped him from getting where he needs to go & has been working on his skating for a while now. Once they clear out some players by the TDL I expect he will be up here.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
He's not a grerat skater, but it hasn't stopped him from getting where he needs to go & has been working on his skating for a while now. Once they clear out some players by the TDL I expect he will be up here.

Maybe at the TDL, but right now theres 0 reason to rush him before hes ready.

Reactions: OD99 and chipsens

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

He may be here post TDL but that's 50+ more games to develop which is different than being here now

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Dallas is the team that gave him a custom jersey with his name and number on it. It was their home game after all.

Have you considered that he owned the jersey himself? You’re right though, it would be really weird if the team gave him an old jersey, unless it was his fav.

someone above mentioned he tweeted? the team that he’d never been to a Sens game. The Sens then got him tickets and sent him a custom jersey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad