WireAP_e9be073cc2c74344854dcc57989ad50c_16x9_992.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Chabot - Holden
Mete - Zub
Brann - Zaitsev

If we are trailing you put Chabot and Zub back together.

We are getting obliterated in shot diferential and dangerous chances pretty much every second of the 32 minutes Chabot and Zub aren't on the ice and we need to reduce that. Spread out the talent for a game and see where that gets you. Holden has looked the least like a tire fire outside the top 2 and Chabot made Zaitsev look not terrible so I have hope that pair would at least be stable.

Reactions: senswon

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
People piling on josh brown, but imo Mete let him down on Oshie's 2nd goal..chased puck to half-boards and left brown alone in front facing 2-on-1. He took away the pass, and Forsberg whiffed on the shot.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
When DJ Smith will be gone from the Ottawa Senator's horizon line, it will not be a memorable moment, or any moment at all to remember, as his tenure as a headmaster of the team will finish.
The only thing I will remember him personally as the guy, who could not evaluate an NHL talent if it is staring to his face. And it has nothing to do with Zub, but mostly with Eric Brannstorm.
We all understand that the only reason Eric is rotting in AHL, because he is the only d-man who is on the two way contract. Even he is light years ahead from anyone playing defense on the team, not named Zub or Chabot. I have a hard time to believe it is not DJ Smith who is c-o-c-kblocking hard to stop Eric's dream to be a regular NHL player. By acquiring another round of disaster pieces in MDZ and even Holden.
We all understand that playoffs are called by ice professors differently, allowing this boring passive defensive game. Where sizable D can have an advantage to hold and grab players along the boards to stop cycling in its tracks. But the regular season is different. The game is faster and more skilled. Star players are allowed to play and create magic. And when you have slow turtles like Brown, Holden, MDZ you are heading for a disaster. Even people think that Holden plays decent most of the time. The problem is, that you have 1-2 chances to stop cycling against you as a d-man and if you don't, you have a tired group of forwards, who stuck in their own zone. Because if you do not have an adequate defense, forwards tend to help along the boards, opening the points and not pressuring them. It is hockey 101, DJ Smith is not aware of. Ovechkin was basically standing open along and sleeping, waiting for a pass, because Formenton rushed to help defense. And so did Connor Brown. Even Zaitzev is not good enough. Mete is not the answer either. Zaitzev always crumbles under pressure and his first pass is to be desired. He is a fringe NHLer. Mete, MDZ, Brown and even Holden should not be in NHL. Brannstrom is actually third best defensemen who can use skills in the regular season to win battles along the boards, skate out or make that first pass on a tape. Which means less offensive time for an opposition team. We all know that Dorion has no idea about the league's talent either, so is Pierre McGuire. We all understand that Sens are a welfare team, which goes only to second hand shops, but even there you can find some gems. I do not think getting Zub was a stroke of genius, but a pure lack. Because the scouting they got was dead wrong, and DJ Smith did not even bother to evaluate his own player during a preseason. And Dorion is so dumb he walked this player to the free agency. To resign Zub now, you have to pay 1-2 million extra with more years. It is a given Zub will resign now only for 6/5 or 6/6. And we could have him at 5 or even 4.5 million a season for 5 years.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Chabot not on the ice , Murray is

same pairing except MDZ in for Chabot

Fourth line Sanford - Gambrell - Watson

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I think Chabot and Zub should be separated until Sanderson arrives.

We need two good pairings right now more than we need a super top-pairing.

I'd also waive Josh Brown - our AHL d-men are better at this point.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
People piling on josh brown, but imo Mete let him down on Oshie's 2nd goal..chased puck to half-boards and left brown alone in front facing 2-on-1. He took away the pass, and Forsberg whiffed on the shot.

Josh Brown has handled the puck like an absolute grenade to start the year. Legit Cowen vibes. No one has let J.Brown down more than J.Brown has. He has been directly responsible for more goals than anyone else so far this year off terrible puck decisions.

This is a pretty big deal. Watson brings much needed identity depth and is like a 4th line Tkachuk. Super happy to see him back.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Josh Brown has handled the puck like an absolute grenade to start the year. Legit Cowen vibes. No one has let J.Brown down more than J.Brown has. He has been directly responsible for more goals than anyone else so far this year off terrible puck decisions.
False. Mete has been worse than JBrown. At least Brown brings size. Pair him w MDZ and i bet Brown plays better

Last edited:

ISensFanI

Sep 2, 2006
Ottawa
Mete is so bad positionally I think DJ might just be a bad coach

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Was Julien a bad coach?
Was Mete's positioning bad under Julien? I honestly don't recall how he looked early in his career.

I thought he looked better last year, players have ups and downs so I'm not going to write him off yet, but he never really seemed like a long term solution anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad