Post-Game Talk: SENS in Dallas (on the road again) Friday 8:30pm

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
In favour of....?

You don't just scratch players, you also dress a player who wasn't dressed.

We know DJ doesn't do Mete and Brannstrom at the same time.
Well he actually got the best defensive hockey of his time coaching the Ottawa senators with both of them playing

but, del zotto? It’s what he’s here for?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Also thought for the most part & to some success the defence played much better in this game than they did against Washington, another big tough, hard hitting team. This is a reason why I don't see Brannstrom as an NHL player, how long will he last when he is targeted & they try & wear him down all game especially in a playoff situation which they used to do to EK who could skate out of trouble. Coaches always try & target the opposition's weakest links.

The weakest link will be the mobility of the big guys and inability to transition the puck out of the zone.

Gus bailed the defence out. That's the only real difference.

With about 10 minutes to go in the 3rd, it was a shooting gallery out there.

Reactions: cudi

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Which BIG BRAIN sends these better players down?

It needs to be this way though... at least we seem to be moving to:

1A Murray
Placeholder Forsberg
1B Gustavsson (playing starter role with the B Sens when not in Ottawa)

If Murray is out, Gus moves to 1A. Forsberg is the backup and should get nothing more than the occasional spot start. It allows Gus to get max reps in game situations, and after the last 18 months, that's needed.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Eh, thought we had an OT loss, my mistake. Either way, I think we look the best from a systems POV by far since Maclean.

This team will be dangerous once guys get comfortable & DJ has enough horses to actually have a surplus rather than constantly needing to play guys who shouldnt be playing.

HOLD ON THERE, MATEY, WE HAVE HEARD FROM ON HIGH THAT "THE REBUILD IS OVER"!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Just no. He does nothing out there other than get in the way sometimes (sometimes his own team, sometimes the other team). He should be a 7th or preferably 8th defenseman. Nothing good happens as a result of his play. He sometimes gets in the way of bad things happening but you will almost never see a situation where a scoring chance for us started with him. You will OFTEN see opposing team chances start with him.

He never breaks up anything in the neutral zone. He's just there. As close to a useless player as you will ever find.

After reading this I was wondering who you were talking about as several players could fit this.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Gus’s red pads are all about love. What a sharp look. I love him, I love his red pads

The Derek Brassard trade turned this team around. We have all Pittsburgh goaltending now, Murray and Gus all the way to the Cup

Gus played a great game but Zibby and the 2nd round pick would have given us a top line center in addition to Norris and Pinto. The Brassard trade was a disaster.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Wanted to mention that awesome defensive back check by Sanford in the third period where he raced back to knock the puck away from a Dallas player on a breakaway.

Completely caught me off guard with his speed, that was a great defensive play without getting a penalty.

I wish Sanford would play like Benn: Rush into the D zone and knock the Cxxx out of the opponent's defensemen and wingers. If he isn't going to handle the puck well and shoot well, then at least he could start doing that. He appears to be the next one of a long series of wingers like Greening, Robinson and Douglas who are big and strong but play a Lady Bing type of game.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Well he actually got the best defensive hockey of his time coaching the Ottawa senators with both of them playing

but, del zotto? It’s what he’s here for?

I wonder too. De Zotto must be injured. Dorion thought he was the D we needed and DJ thought he was going to be part of a shutdown pairing.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Btw, Sens direly need another top 4 defender.

When Chabot-Zub weren't on, we were panicking like crazy. We can't run our top pair to the ground like this. Another top 4 and we could make some noise.
We have Chabot & Zub as top pairing, nothing worth throwing over the boards on the 2nd pairing, and enough quantity to fill out the 3rd pairing e.g., Holden & Zaitsev. The rest of our defenders are 7/8 guys imho. So, in my mind, we need 2 defenders for the 2nd pairing. Sanderson will help, but the season will be almost over by the time he arrives. JMHO.

Reactions: Cosmix

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I wonder too. De Zotto must be injured. Dorion thought he was the D we needed and DJ thought he was going to be part of a shutdown pairing.
Our pro scouting is shit that’s your answer. But he has to be a better option than what Zaitsev is giving us right now

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
That back check was about the only thing I recall seeing him do that caught my attention in all of the games he has played so far.
I barely notice that he is playing. Usually that bodes well but he doesn't really seem to be making an impact.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Our pro scouting is shit that’s your answer. But he has to be a better option than what Zaitsev is giving us right now

How do you explain Tortorella's love and usage of MDZ though? Obviously its not working out thus far here on the Sens. And ya, MDZ is not the player he was billed as being.

But Tortorella is a legitimately hard coach to earn his love and trust - especially considering the rocky past they had together in New York many years ago. And by all accounts MDZ was basically his Zub last season. I believe Torts when he says a player is doing things the right way, and playing the game properly. So imo the MDZ signing could have been a sneaky good one if the guy didnt regress so noticeably to start this season..

Regardless, Pierre McGuire is a breathing hockey encyclopedia, and I have no doubt that pro scouting in Ottawa will see a noticeable uptick going forward. Hes gonna nerd it up hard on the pro scouting side in any major trades/signings imo. Dylan Gambrell might hopefully be exhibit A.

Last edited:

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
FC7B6veXsAEkaGp

Thomas Chabot looks like a wimp compared to these beasts. Is that Holden on the left?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad