Post-Game Talk: SENS in Dallas (on the road again) Friday 8:30pm

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If Ottawa was to bench, waive & send Ennis to Belleville & callup Sokolov, they could have a decent top nine when Pinto returns. They should keep the top two lines together & create a 3rd line that can also add some offence & create three good lines. And when Watson returns create a decent 4th line & send the AHL players back to Belleville.

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - Paul - C. Brown
Formenton - Pinto - Sokolov
Sanford - Tierny - Watson
Sokolov has a way to go. He is nowhere near ready to play a top 9 role. Give it a couple years.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
someone above mentioned he tweeted? the team that he’d never been to a Sens game. The Sens then got him tickets and sent him a custom jersey.

I did read some tweets, but that jersey doesn’t look like a custom jersey that the team would send. Maybe there is some cross confusion.

The Stars definitely gifted him a custom jersey with his name and cowboys number on it.

The old Sens jersey he was wearing had number 20 on it. It would be wildly inappropriate to send him a custom jersey that was not the current jersey, and had a random number on it.

Maybe someone else could shed some more light on the situation.

Edit: thanks golden jet, that’s what I thought I had read.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No that was all Dallas,
I thought the sens gave him tickets, the stars spotted him in the stands and gave him the custom jersey. They talked about it a bunch of times during the broadcast but I wasn't really paying attention.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Honest question not meant to be disrespectful, were you a fan of the Senators when that trade happened?

If not, you might not know that Zib was not anywhere close to the player he is today, and by all accounts (including most fans) he was NOT on a trajectory to become the player he is today. This is not for lack of talent, everyone saw that he had the skill. However, he didn't take his responsibility serious enough as a player. He came to came out of shape, and was notorious for spending too much of his time on his DJ Zbad career.

Zibby is a perfect example of how some organizations are much more mature and capable than others. The Rangers organization was exactly what Zib needed to have the career he has now. If he stayed in Ottawa he might be out of the league right now. The Rangers really turned this kid into an adult and got him focused on his NHL career. They molded a top line center with captain material out of a kid who was more interested in spinning records til 3am than staying in shape for his hockey career.

If you really like Zib be thankful he got a chance to play for an organization that has the tools to help young players like Zib manage the distractions of being young, famous, and wealthy. Unfortunately, the Senators couldn't do that for him and so we moved on and got a piece that helped us make a very exciting cup run!

Yes, I was a Senators fan at the time; going back to 1993. I don't know why you asked that question.

Zibby was still young at the time but was progressing and had scored almost as many points as Brassard in the prior season while being much younger. I find it odd that you blame the Senators organization for poor development of players and suggest Zib could be out of the league right now. That is quite a slag on the Senators organization and prediction for Zibby. I think Zib was just a young man finding his way and has turned out to be a pretty good player. I certainly blame the Senators organization for making a terrible judgement call in making that trade. Not only did the Senators trade Zibby but they gave away a second round pick too. I blame the GM for poor asset management.

Reactions: DrEasy

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I thought the sens gave him tickets, the stars spotted him in the stands and gave him the custom jersey. They talked about it a bunch of times during the broadcast but I wasn't really paying attention.

He Tweeted that he had never seen the Senators live and they replied something to the effect of, "...happy to host anytime".

Seems he showed up to the game on his own, got a jersey (maybe he already owned it) and then the Stars in house crew saw him and gave him a jersey.

Lets hope he gets a new Senators one and I would expect at some point when he is in Ottawa this season he gets on our screen too.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
There's no rush IMO. It's better to give Gus as many starts as possible, whether it is in the NHL or AHL. Next year (or even at this deadline) I imagine Forsberg will be gone and Murray and Gus will split duties. Or Murray will get injured and Gus will play more than that even!

I don't know how important it is to build relationships with defensemen, but right now 4 out of 6 of our NHL defensemen any night are placeholders of sorts anyway. Might as well let Gus build relationships with Lassi, JBD and Brannstrom.

That's fair.

All though I do think, when guys are ready for it, blooding them at the NHL level can often increase the rate and plausibly level of progress. And sometimes keeping them at a lower level, when they've proved themselves ready for the top level, can have adverse mental/emotional effects on a young player. But hopefully Gus is not hindered by such things.

But yea, there is not a big rush relative to the teams level of contending.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
The issue is Murrays health. Dude is missing a lot of time again. They need 3 goalies right now. With Gus playing well, he will be the starter when Murray is injured. Forsberg is kind of the permanent backup. The Sens aren't stuck with Forsberg, I think they could put him on waivers tomorrow and move him. They need him.

It's pretty clear that next year is the year they expect Gus to be with the Sens. He got a two year deal with it being a one way deal next year. Forsberg signed for one year - likely gone next year. If Murray continues to miss a lot of time, you have to think they will look for a veteran minor leaguer next year.

The Sens are stuck with Murray. No one is taking that contract when he can't even play consistently.

Yup. 100% Murray is the main issue. And yea, the problem is, there's really not much that can be done about him atm.

Even years into it now, I still find myself baffled by Murray's descent. I do think it's more than just situational and the team around him, as other Sens and Pens goalies have proved. At least IMO. Which probably means something cracked mentally for him and he still can't glue it together. What an awful downward spiral that must be for him personally. Well, lol, at least he got paid.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
sounds like Sokolov hasn't had a great start to the season in the AHL besides that 4 point game. Let him keep developing. No need to rush him.

I love how Brannstrom has to 'earn it' at the AHL level, but big body Sokolov can be thrown in the NHL before he's ready

Totally agree about the difference in perception and double standard. Personally would have thrown Brannstrom into the fire this year of all years.

Still think adding more Defenders this season was the wrong move from a development perspective. All though, if Brannstrom had been obtained through different means, meaning not for Stone, I don't think there would be quite as much pressure or expectation from fans at least. It's an unfortunate reality, in sports you will always be directly compared to what you were traded for, even years after.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He Tweeted that he had never seen the Senators live and they replied something to the effect of, "...happy to host anytime".

Seems he showed up to the game on his own, got a jersey (maybe he already owned it) and then the Stars in house crew saw him and gave him a jersey.

Lets hope he gets a new Senators one and I would expect at some point when he is in Ottawa this season he gets on our screen too.
He would be a big hit at Club Bell this year. Lots of Cowboys fans around. A good marketer would even have a little meet and greet with STHs prior to the game.

Reactions: OD99

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He would be a big hit at Club Bell this year. Lots of Cowboys fans around. A good marketer would even have a little meet and greet with STHs prior to the game.
Although I despise the Cowboys they really should work something out with him to get some joint marketing going.

Reactions: GCK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad