GDT: SENS in CBJ, Fri 7pm ON TSN

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
glad you see the light. Going from calling people insane to thinking a coaching change will help

DJ is cooked
It's from the handbook "How to do a U Turn and pretend you weren't lost."

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Hey, the Sharks out-lucky-bounced the Devils in the only other game last night, doubling them up on the scoreboard with only half the shots. Misery loves company.

Reactions: Dionysus

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Why did the Sens hire Dj in the first place?

He came from the Leafs did he not? Why the f*** would you hire a coach from the Maple Leafs?
Manchurian candidate (bluey operative)
download.jpeg

lang006

Jan 2, 2020
Does Korpisalo get any blame here? He was pretty weak on the 2nd and 3rd.. and even the 4th. I know the 3rd and 4th were tips, but goalies are supposed to stop tough shots. Merzlikens shut the door at the other end. Why can't our goalies ever do that? It's just pathetic.

The Sens came out great. They pushed back after getting down 4-2 and ended up outshooting 43-22. The effort was there. They know their season is on the line. They played desperate. They just couldn't beat Merzlikens. Opposing goalies have a habit of doing that to us. Meanwhile, our goalies have a habit of folding like cheap suit.

But according to you all, DJ is the source of all that plagues this team.
Yeah maybe goal 2 you could blame Korpisalo as he originally fired the puck up the wall to CBJ players and then chabot regained but couldn’t clear. Stoppable shot that he wasn’t set and ready for. The other 3 goals were all screens directly caused by our D being out muscled/battled in front or totally ignoring the opposing players in front.

Much like what happened with Vancouver last year when a new coaching staff comes in they will be quite shocked at the work they have in front of them to correct bad habits and get the ship pointed in the right direction.

Reactions: LiseL

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Chabot ..post-game "thinks we deserved better"🤪

BUT imo D gaffes cost us..🤮
1. Chabby fails to control loose puck, or tie up stick, so easy goal from slot (72=problem, not the solution to D gaffes)
2. Branny smurf can't handle 7ft Laine who screens Korpi (JBD watching in pressbox=DJ poor judgement re line-up)
3. Mac floats in no-mans land while Fantilli knifes in and tips puck behind him (swap Mac for Crookshank w brain)
4. wtf another screened tip from slot. Zub!

Last edited:
Reactions: LiseL

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Great seems like an exaggeration. It was passable from what I remember.
Change your name to WrongOpinion. Sicario was awesome. The guy who wrote it also wrote Hell or High Water and the Yellowstone series. He also wrote and directed Wind River and the series Mayor of Kingstown.

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
Okay so now we can all agree that we suck as an NHL team.

People think it's DJ Smith's fault, which it might be.

But what about the players? Maybe they just aren't as good as we thought that they were.

The top two lines on paper look nice but are not nice in reality. Tarasenko is too old and slow to get into position to score and when he does he misses.

The bottom two lines might be the worst in the NHL.

Our captain Tkachuk can't play defense and Timmy Stutzle spends most of his time crying on the ground instead of getting up and backchecking.

For goodness sake Giroux is one of the worst on the team for neutral zone giveaways.

Batherson is hit or miss, Kubalik is a MISS.

Our defence I thought would be great, but the only defender who can and will defend our own zone is Sanderson.

We needed to have kept Debrincat. The Kubalik trade was an absolute fleecing from the Detroit Red wings over the lowly Ottawa Senators.

If we had Formenton, Pinto and Greig we might be in a better place. Or we might not be. They might turn out to be defensive flops just like the rest of our forwards (and defensive group).

• Haha
Reactions: LiseL and Puikiou

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
After reading through the last few pages of this thread, people seem more interested in talking about movies versus the game. I guess that's indicative of how this season is going and its impact on fans.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I laughed when I saw the title of this article in the Sun..... "

Ottawa Senators coach D.J. Smith wants his team to play with a '2-1 mentality' "​

The players decided to double those numbers and made it 4-2 ...

• Haha
Reactions: Alex1234

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
After reading through the last few pages of this thread, people seem more interested in talking about movies versus the game. I guess that's indicative of how this season is going and its impact on fans.
Best part of the game last night

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

But what about the players? Maybe they just aren't as good as we thought that they were.

The top two lines on paper look nice but are not nice in reality. Tarasenko is too old and slow to get into position to score and when he does he misses.

Our captain Tkachuk can't play defense and Timmy Stutzle spends most of his time crying on the ground instead of getting up and backchecking.

For goodness sake Giroux is one of the worst on the team for neutral zone giveaways.

Our defence I thought would be great, but the only defender who can and will defend our own zone is Sanderson.

We needed to have kept Debrincat. The Kubalik trade was an absolute fleecing from the Detroit Red wings over the lowly Ottawa Senators.

If we had Formenton, Pinto and Greig we might be in a better place. Or we might not be. They might turn out to be defensive flops just like the rest of our forwards (and defensive group).
There comes a point when a team has to make a decision. If you have questions about the coach's ability to turn it around .. You change the coach.

We needed to not have traded for Debrincat in the first place. I am very much questioning the decision to trade for Chychrun. These are both team evaluation decisions on how ready you are to compete. Very much like the decision in the fall of 2017. So you could extrapolate that to being not all on DJ... fine. I personally have seen enough of DJ and given the circumstances he has had to coach in during the rebuild, I think its a tough task to change from being a friend and supporter of the young players to a tough standards based coach where he tries to hold them accountable to something he can actually teach. I think it goes beyond that , and he is not the right tactical coach these players need to get to the next level. The team lacks attention to detail .

You can't change out all the players. I think they need a new perspective and a new voice. Imagine retooling this rebuild with some harder nosed players coming in for some of the more skilled players and making that kind of decision without first trying a coaching change. DJ has had a good run. Its over.

A new coach can help with some retooling .. right now I think we have a roster construction issue.. but I do not see a lot of improvement out of many capable players .. And I do not see a consistent willingness to compete at the level they need to win hockey games.

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
There comes a point when a team has to make a decision. If you have questions about the coach's ability to turn it around .. You change the coach.

We needed to not have traded for Debrincat in the first place. I am very much questioning the decision to trade for Chychrun. These are both team evaluation decisions on how ready you are to compete. Very much like the decision in the fall of 2017. So you could extrapolate that to being not all on DJ... fine. I personally have seen enough of DJ and given the circumstances he has had to coach in during the rebuild, I think its a tough task to change from being a friend and supporter of the young players to a tough standards based coach where he tries to hold them accountable to something he can actually teach. I think it goes beyond that , and he is not the right tactical coach these players need to get to the next level. The team lacks attention to detail .

You can't change out all the players. I think they need a new perspective and a new voice. Imagine retooling this rebuild with some harder nosed players coming in for some of the more skilled players and making that kind of decision without first trying a coaching change. DJ has had a good run. Its over.

A new coach can help with some retooling .. right now I think we have a roster construction issue.. but I do not see a lot of improvement out of many capable players .. And I do not see a consistent willingness to compete at the level they need to win hockey games.
Yep, I agree with this.

No one wants their favourite Uncle as a coach. Even though it would be all buddy-buddy they wouldn't get to learn anything.

I want a guy like Sutter who just makes sure to hold people accountable and he doesn't rave about his players, all of his press conferences are just the straight honest truth without saying too much.

For example a media member might say well "Quick wasn't so quick tonight, what are your thoughts?" Sutter would say something like "defense was slow, offense was slower, so yeah quick had an off night."

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

The Debrincat trade was not a good idea. We were still in the late rebuild stage and the goal was only to play meaningful games late in the season. Debrincat had a contract that only guaranteed he'd be around for one year, and had we done nothing, we would have selected the 7th overall and a had a good cost controlled player that would have been on the team for many years. It was a short term thinking probably motivated by desperation by Dorion trying to preserve his job.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Chabot ..post-game "thinks we deserved better"🤪

BUT imo D gaffes cost us..🤮
1. Chabby fails to control loose puck, or tie up stick, so easy goal from slot (72=problem, not the solution to D gaffes)
2. Branny smurf can't handle 7ft Laine who screens Korpi (JBD watching in pressbox=DJ poor judgement re line-up)
3. Mac floats in no-mans land while Fantilli knifes in and tips puck behind him (swap Mac for Crookshank w brain)
4. wtf another screened tip from slot. Zub!
If the roster needs a shake up and we need cap, this is the guy to go. His post game was a joke. If they parrot DJ's "At the end of day.." bs again I might puke.

Reactions: chipsens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad