Confirmed with Link: Sens hire new assistant coach André Tourigny

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Murray certainly getting his To Do list up to date.

Nice call. From what I've read he is a good hire. Our D will get some help as well.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
He's a defense coach. I wonder who's running the pp

Someone beat me to it. Maybe sterling is staying

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Anybody know why this guy is "a good hire"?

If he was coaching the defencemen on another team, and given the Senators already have Steve Smith as an assistant coach who was a defensive NHL defenceman for many years, why is this guy needed? What does he bring that the team needs?

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary

If he was coaching the defencemen on another team, and given the Senators already have Steve Smith as an assistant coach who was a defensive NHL defenceman for many years, why is this guy needed? What does he bring that the team needs?

Well, it was well documented that Mark Reeds was in charge of the defense. We needed someone to replace him...

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I know that Richardson has at least another yr in Bingo but it will be interesting to see what happens once his daughter is finished school in NY State. I assume he comes back to Ottawa as an assistant coach & maybe Jason Smith goes down to coach Bingo. I also wonder if Chris Phillips will be a future defenceman coach in Ottawa's organization along with Alfredsson.

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

There were some quotes from some of the older defencemen on Colorado and they were singing his praise, basically saying that he would have made them better defencemen had they been coached by him earlier in their careers.

The thought of him being able to help Cowen (and to a lesser extent Weircoich and Ceci) grow into the players that we need them to be is very enticing.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

I know that Richardson has at least another yr in Bingo but it will be interesting to see what happens once his daughter is finished school in NY State. I assume he comes back to Ottawa as an assistant coach & maybe Steve Smith goes down to coach Bingo. I also wonder if Chris Phillips will be a future defenceman coach in Ottawa's organization along with Alfredsson.

Are you guys talking about Jason Smith?

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Well his #1 focus coming here should be Jared Cowen. We need him to play like a top 4 D or at worst a reliable 5-6 guy who can hit.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Apparently him and Roy didnt get along at all. Wonder what it was about? Maybe just Roy being arrogant

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Well his #1 focus coming here should be Jared Cowen. We need him to play like a top 4 D or at worst a reliable 5-6 guy who can hit.

I remember how good Cowen was evading forecheckers and contributing offensively. He tried the back-door sneak at least once a game in his first year.

I'd love to see that guy again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad