Confirmed with Link: Sens hire new assistant coach André Tourigny

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I remember how good Cowen was evading forecheckers and contributing offensively. He tried the back-door sneak at least once a game in his first year.

I'd love to see that guy again.

Sens are making a point of telling Cowen not to be offensive. They think one of his problems was that he thought he could contribute offensively when in reality he can only do a bit of that. they want him to be a strong defense first dman

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Sens are making a point of telling Cowen not to be offensive. They think one of his problems was that he thought he could contribute offensively when in reality he can only do a bit of that. they want him to be a strong defense first dman

The trick is not to undermine his confidence with the puck. I find when defensemen are told to keep it simple, often they stop moving their feet, pass the puck to wingers under pressure. You need a good "player" coach to help a defenseman build confidence in a defensive role.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
The thought of him being able to help Cowen (and to a lesser extent Weircoich and Ceci) grow into the players that we need them to be is very enticing.

I came here to post something along these lines and was not disappointed to find several posters had already made the point.

I honestly think the biggest wildcard for this team taking the next step to being a contender is development from Cowen and Wiercioch (and Ceci, but I'm less worried about him).

I expect Ceci to be back to top 4 form next season.

If Cowen or Wiercioch can take that next step and join him as a legitimate top 4 guy, we're in good shape.

If both can do it, we're a forward away from contending.

Last edited:

Pronto

Mar 24, 2015
Gatineau
Just read an article on rds.ca on Tourigny's hiring and there`s a quote from Tourigny saying that ''it's a great opportunity for me as I will go back to my first loves, coaching forwards and supervising the PP'' or something along those lines.

Interesting I guess :confused:

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Just because he is working on PP/Offence doesn't mean he won't help out struggling defencemen if can.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
On the sens website

His nickname is The Bear
Didnt say he was working with the forwards but specifically said hes working with the pp

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
On the sens website

His nickname is The Bear
Didnt say he was working with the forwards but specifically said hes working with the pp

Heard him on the radio; talked a lot about Karlsson and how much he would be key to the PP (no surprise). Was complimentary regarding Karlsson's leadership.

So we get Colorado's defense coach to run our PP. Should be fun to see what he changes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad